Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any evidence of significant 'stalk failure' in vehicles? In almost 40 years of driving I have never had one fail. Come to think of it, I have never personally known of anyone else with a stalk failure situation.

Old aircooled VWs had a common failure mode where the turn signal mechanical self-cancel would stop working, so the driver had to turn off the signal after completing the turn. But that was the only stalk failure that I remember encountering.

Now, maybe the complicated mechanical linkage for 3-on-the-tree manual transmissions had more failure points than other shifters. But that is not really relevant to the PRND / TACC / AS stalk on a Tesla.

Sorry to throw cold water, but any improvements Tesla makes elsewhere will be worth far more than lumbar or stalks. For example I don't see the older Model S/X being worth more than the Plaid versions.

Maybe, but if I had to choose between a 2020 model y and a 2022 model y the 2020 has more features… even lacking the heated steering wheel.

Reactions: smogne41
If they fix the horn it will be fine.

Over time many many users like the blinkers. Takes time but they are fine. Do you look at your feet to find the pedals? I hope not. You won’t have to look for anything once you get used to it.

I find the gear shifting absolutely fine on Refresh S. You can change direction while still moving ;) Again takes time to get used to it. I never use the AutoShift.

The 2020 doesn’t have the heated steering wheel, but it does have a better center console, the dead rest, and lumbar support.
The 2020 also has usb-c ports in the console that handle data. Current model usb-c ports can only be used for charging. They also got rid of a redundant steering sensor in 2022 models but not sure if they added that back. The cpu was also upgraded in 2022 models but that was a phased transition.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Is there any evidence of significant 'stalk failure' in vehicles? In almost 40 years of driving I have never had one fail. Come to think of it, I have never personally known of anyone else with a stalk failure situation. To the extent, nevertheless, they could perhaps sometimes fail, is there any evidence that the alternative to stalks would fail less often or would be cheaper to repair when it does?

I'd argue that removing vehicle stalks is a solution in search of a problem.
Doubtful they fail often. That doesn't change that manufactures made changes, sometimes that stick around, sometimes that don't. Failure is probably not the reason manufactures try different solutions - typically it is space or cost reductions, or both. Interesting part - all those vehicles sell too.

Tes

Maybe 2019 is the best year as those Model 3's came with everything the 2020 had as well as Homelink.
Pretty sure the did away with Homelink mid year 2019 - but I haven't seen a hard date yet. I did see a reference that they changed/updated/"improved" something on the attachment of the rear bumper (and the coming undone driving through water issue) on May 21, 2019...so I guess the 2020 still gets the vote.

Would be nice, or at least fun, to have a solid list of the changes and when they happened, but so far it is scattered information.