Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like V10 infotainment features not supported by MCU1 (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shame they didn't make MCU2 backwards compatible with older Teslas. They're missing out on some revenue. Too many times I'm stuck just sitting while my wife is shopping and my daughter has my phone.

I’m cautiously optimistic. The fireplace mode shows a video and people have hacked the MCU1 to play video files, so we know it’s capable of playing video. But I agree it seems like something they would leave out.

The bigger issue appears to be the browser. To my knowledge Netflix “apps” for the most part are just HTML5 portals that require a functional browser engine to operate. And we all know the state of the browser on MCU1.

Reactions: TechVP and viper2ko
The bigger issue appears to be the browser. To my knowledge Netflix “apps” for the most part are just HTML5 portals that require a functional browser engine to operate. And we all know the state of the browser on MCU1.

I wish they'd just remove the browser from the MCU1 cars. It's becoming embarrassing when I'm showing the car to friends or giving a ride, and they go to use the browser.

I'm not surprised if the new infotainment features are not supported on MCU1. And, because that wasn't something advertised as a capability for my car when I bought it, I'm not upset about it.

What I am upset about is that I don't have what was promised. Like FSD, smart/enhanced summon, auto wipers that actually work, etc. If new versions start delivering that only to newer cars...that'll be a really sad day.

1x car upgrade is way more profitable than 10x MCU upgrades. (I have no idea what real profit margins are on S?)

That doesn't make the problem go away, it just moves it so someone else. If I trade my 2017 MS in for a 2019, someone is going to buy my used 2017 and want the features to work. I didn't mind this on my Ford when they came out with new software on the next model year because it was never intended to be upgradable. But Telsa highlights the upgradability of the vehicles. Certainly I don't think someone with a 2013 would expect a free "Raven Upgrade Kit" to come along. But when the CEO tweets several times that an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is coming, that at least makes it more plausible.

Reactions: boonedocks
That doesn't make the problem go away, it just moves it so someone else. If I trade my 2017 MS in for a 2019, someone is going to buy my used 2017 and want the features to work. I didn't mind this on my Ford when they came out with new software on the next model year because it was never intended to be upgradable. But Telsa highlights the upgradability of the vehicles. Certainly I don't think someone with a 2013 would expect a free "Raven Upgrade Kit" to come along. But when the CEO tweets several times that an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is coming, that at least makes it more plausible.
From what I'm hearing... we might see an MCU2 Retrofit ordered at the time when FSD is schedule for your group. Retrofit meaning that you will get an opportunity to purchase it of course.

Well, I’m rather glad that these new features are not enabled for MCU1 (And I have a MCU1). Added features clutter old hardware. I’d rather like the MCU1 software made faster, with less bugs, and that original features run as well or better than when I purchased the car. Such as nav, audio, etc...

The Tegra may be capable of video playback in terms of processing power, but I’m 99% sure that current issues on MCU1 are caused by RAM usage, and not CPU usage. The OS runs out of ram and is continuously forced to do garbage collect. This is what plagued the iPad 1 when iOS 5 came out.

Adding lots of features likely mean more DLL loads and overall RAM usage.

From what I'm hearing... we might see an MCU2 Retrofit ordered at the time when FSD is schedule for your group. Retrofit meaning that you will get an opportunity to purchase it of course.

No source for this other than "from what Im hearing"?

It would be brilliant on Tesla's part if they DID this though. Tesla could charge enough to cover the labor portion of both retrofits as well as make a profit on MCU2. Surely IF this was going to happen Elon would have out out one of his "Tweets" saying so.

...again though...Source?

Agreed, but watching Gremlins while I'm charging on a roadtrip has always been my dream! TAKE MY MONEY! :D
You can do that now, get a tablet and download the movie. But here, to help you with your gremlin fix:

upload_2019-9-18_10-11-41.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Saxgod