TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looks like we can add red brake calipers to non P cars :)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xrayvsn, Apr 5, 2016.

1. xrayvsn

xrayvsn Member

Was just looking at the Tesla Shop and apparently in addition to the spoiler now available, they have added the red calipers:

Tesla — Model S Red Brake Calipers Set

That was the one item I really wanted that I could not get when I went with the 90D. Although I will probably wait till my pads wear out (given regenerative braking, not sure if that will ever happen) before I would replace them.

2. CJPonline

CJPonline Member

I also would have loved to add the red Tesla calipers.
    Based on how little brakes are used due to regenerative braking and the cost ($2300), I see very little chance to upgrade.

3. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

You can also just have the calipers refinished either DIY or at a shop for much cheaper.

• Helpful x 1
  4. zambono

zambono Active Member

Powder coat, any color

5. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

A can of VHT red and a can of VHT clear gloss plus decals from ebay......and about 4 hours of labor DIY........$40.00

6. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

#6 Edmond, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Well... why? Red calipers originally meant something special, like carbon brakes, or at least racing Brembo, FGS. Recently I saw in OReilly Auto Parts, red tin covers to clip on your calipers to make them look 'speshul'. I don't agree with them on Tesla even though my car came with them. Maybe I'll wrap them with gold chrome, as a protest.

It loses all meaning with the fakers. False signalling. Turns us all into cynics.

Sometimes I despair for the public school system...

• Like x 1
  7. halg

halg Member

Agreed.

8. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

I think you forgot something: "Now get off my lawn!" ;)

• Funny x 1
  9. highfalutintodd

I've been bugging my service center for red calipers for two years now. I don't know how much I thought it would cost but after seeing this I now realize that this is about $1500 more than I WOULD pay. Sad highfalutintodd is sad. :(

• Helpful x 1
  10. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member