Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looped Supply - Home Charge Point Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with UK Power Networks to get my main fuse upgraded from an ancient 60A to 100A was superb. Everyone was extremely courteous, the guys showed up on time and completed their work quickly and efficiently, and I got a follow up call the next day to check everything had gone ok. It's incredible how a company can have such a streamlined system -- why isn't this more common!?

Reactions: DanTW_GB
60-80 upgrade is reasonably normal and arguably not even required if it's def at 60 already, and depending on how much other electric stuff you run.
I don't know... last night I happened to check my GlowStick app, to see 4000-5000kW and I wondered if the car had somehow started charging (it's scheduled for 00:30), but the missus had just put on both the dishwasher and the washing machine -- was shocked at how much power they consume. Add a kettle, the fridge, the boiler, and then a 7.7kW car... Sounds like it could easily go over 60A.

As above, very common to just check the incomer and increase the fuse from 60 A to 80 A. The incomer will probably be 35mm² concentric, which is OK for ~ 180 A IIRC. If there's a 35mm² concentric feeding two houses, then the max will be 90 A per installation, so should be no problem in taking you to 80 A, and that's without allowing for diversity.

Sounds like good news, as sometimes DNOs have been known to charge for unlooping services before now.

I ran a clamp meter on peak hold for 24 hours on our supply some time ago. Maximum I saw was about 28 A (this was before fitting two charge points). That's roughly 6.5 kW.

I don't know... last night I happened to check my GlowStick app, to see 4000-5000kW and I wondered if the car had somehow started charging (it's scheduled for 00:30), but the missus had just put on both the dishwasher and the washing machine -- was shocked at how much power they consume. Add a kettle, the fridge, the boiler, and then a 7.7kW car... Sounds like it could easily go over 60A.

When diversity, and duty cycle, is taken into account, things don't look anywhere near as bad as the peak readings may make it seem. For example, if you ran the house at, say, 100 A and it had a 60 A fuse in the cut out, then it could take around 20 to 25 minutes for the fuse to rupture. In order to cause the fuse to rupture more quickly, the current would need to be a lot higher. At, say, 200 A, that 60 A fuse would probably rupture in around 15 seconds or so.

I had this issue as well - only found out when UKPN came around to look at upgrading my main fuses from 60 to 100amp.

They were super helpful and sorted it all out without charging, on the basis that I was entitled to fuse upgrade and it couldn’t be done without the neighbours moving to their own supply.

The neighbours, on the other hand, were a total PiTA. Got there in the end tho.

Wondering if anyone in the forum has had experiences of getting a house unlooped and the dno is SSEN (Hampshire) ?

Discovered through trying to get a pod point installed (now cancelled) that my property is on a looped supply. Applied for unlooping and received a quote for the works of £3200 (not happening) with the majority of the work not on our property. I've read that UKPN and Western Power only charge for the work on the requestors property and work external to the boundary is covered by the dno. I'm getting two messages from SSEN, one saying I'll have to pay and the other that they're responsible but the application has to be made by an EV charging installer, so I can't get a clear message at the moment.

Does anyone know what the situation actually is SSEN regarding this? Has anyone gone through this process with SSEN ?

Hello, i'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone can help, i've had a call from the pod point installer saying i've got a looped system and they need to speak to northern powergrid to get approval to move forward, i've got a 100 amp fuse installed when they installed my smart meter a few years back so i'm assuming it should be ok to move forward with the install?

Hello, i'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone can help, i've had a call from the pod point installer saying i've got a looped system and they need to speak to northern powergrid to get approval to move forward, i've got a 100 amp fuse installed when they installed my smart meter a few years back so i'm assuming it should be ok to move forward with the install?
My supply isn’t looped but I had a 60 amp supply. I had it upgraded to 100amp without issue because the incoming supply cabling was appropriate for 100amps.
I have two 32amp Zappi’s for two EV’s
Assuming that nothing in the house maxes your supply 100amps will cope

never heard of a 100amp fuse on a looped supply before. They will either give you permission or come and take it away :eek:

I must admit I thought that you would have had 3 phase with all of that PV @Dilly. How did you manage to get permission for ~11kW of PV on single phase? Some official export limiter?
No. I’m single phase. The original 7Kw can export to the grid but the latest 3.9Kw can’t (nor can the PW’s). DNO was OK with that. Locally, the grid is overrun with green energy!
With some tweaking to the settings on the 3.9’s, anything drawn beyond what the 7’s are generating causes the 3.9’s to wake and generate either what is needed or their max.
On a sunny day if I charge both cars, use the diverter and top up the PW’s I can generate about 50Kwh. I’ve come close and know that 65Kwh is achievable. If I can’t use much I’ll get about 35-40Kwh

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
ECCF5EA6-4A32-4FA7-B143-A7E94E1F413B.jpeg
here's my cabinet, excuse the mess - need to do a meter cupboard clean before my install!!! When I say I had it installed, I noted there was a 100amp fuse after the install of the smart meter

I noted there was a 100amp fuse after the install of the smart meter

It does seem fairly likely that was a mistake - either in applying the label when the fuse is not in fact 100A, or in fitting the fuse where it's not appropriate. It's just possible that the 100A is legit - if the other house on the loop has a very small fuse, or the loop has already been disconnected at the far end - but that would be unusual.

Definitely worth talking to Northern Power Grid to resolve what is going on. I think their policy on un-looping looped supplies is more generous than some other DNOs (ie. they might do it for free).

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Thought i'd do an update, Northern powergrid have been great, they've come out and assessed the situation, the main feed comes into our house then loops to the house next door, they have agreed to come and do the work of installing a new main feed to my neighbour and disconnect the loop so I can get the podpoint installed shortly after, and all the work will be carried out by them at no additional cost to either house, only sticking point is getting permission from the council as the next door neighbour is a council tenant but they should just approve the work fairly easily. Only downside it's gonna take 5 weeks to get the work done, right now that's OK as i'm still waiting to see if my car has matched but it may mean that I'll have to use public chargers for a couple of weeks, shouldn't be a problem though!

Oh and yes the 100A sticker is apparently a misnomer, it can theoretically take 100A before burning out but it's apparently rated for 60A, I will get a 100A fuse though when the work is completed.

Glad they’re sorting you out. You’ll be able to manage with the granny lead short term. When we had our first Leaf in 2015 our garage was being rebuilt, so I charged at home for 5 months on the 13A plug. Just plan ahead ;)

Have you investigated getting the podpoint installed on an allowed lower power rating then once all work sorted getting it set to full potential?
I think podpoint won't install until after the works are completed, I was going to ask if it could be dropped temporarily to 3kw until after the works were done, but i've still not matched to a car yet so it'll probably be a moot point.

Glad they’re sorting you out. You’ll be able to manage with the granny lead short term. When we had our first Leaf in 2015 our garage was being rebuilt, so I charged at home for 5 months on the 13A plug. Just plan ahead ;)
Did this for the last 3 months, completely livable with, even on the 3 pin plug. Takes a while to top off after a long trip, but I don't usually do 2x200 mile + round trips one day after another. And faced with that possibility, it's solved with a 15 min visit to a supercharger.

Definitely better than going and sitting in a carpark to charge at 50kw once a week.

Invest a little effort in making the granny charger a usable solution for now and it will be fine. Decent extension if needed, drybox for the UMC and connection and a hook for the connector. I 3d printed one with a holster which worked well. Makes it feel less temporary and more routine, all be it with a very slow charge rate on it.

Glad the looped supply is getting sorted tho, good to know the power companies can do the right thing sometimes.

Definitely better than going and sitting in a carpark to charge at 50kw once a week.

You can't imagine how tedious this soon gets, even if you can combine it with FSD testing or a nice drive. I did this for 2-1/2 months, 20 mile round trip to a supercharger then 35 minutes charge. I and my waistline was very glad when we got our electrics sorted to allow 10A charge without tripping the RCD. If/when we go 7kW, its not going to be a massive game changer. But being to charge at home whilst asleep is, no matter how quick it is.