Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose driver's seat – considering class action

Do you have experienced a loose driver's seat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth. I had a 3/2015 85D that had this problem and the seat was replaced under warranty in 2017, which solved the rocking motion. I sold that and bought a 12/2014 P85D that also had this problem, and it was replaced under warranty in 2018 which also solved the problem.

Frankly, I don't expect much from Tesla anymore.

My plan for out of warranty repair, when needed again, was to buy a used seat off eBay (which will likely also have the rocking problem) and do the Huck Bom replacement myself maintaining as high tolerances as possible, perhaps having some custom bushings machined to distribute the load better. It is still limited by the sheet metal of the seat frame.

Reactions: elee888
Just as an update, Tesla ordered this part:

US - MODEL S - LEFT-HAND DRIVE - LEFT HAND - FRONT SEAT CUSHION - NEXT-GEN - GRAY - MEMORY - SEALED HARNESS
Part #: 1056258-04-B

I'll have to wait and see if this solves the problem. Also not sure when I'll get the car back.

i have never had my seat loose or any issues with it, 2014 P85D. I suggest you pull the seat out and inspect the threads of the bolts and the threads of the spot they crew into. Likely one or both are stripped. If its the bolts just buy new ones at home depot if it's the nuts on the car then either try and replace, which probably isn't an option, so just go to autozone and get a helicoil for the proper thread pitch and install them and reassemble the seat and call it a day.
If the threads are all good maybe the bolts were just loose put them back together with some blue loctite and see if that keeps it all snugged down.
If all the mounts are good then move higher to the movement assembly and inspect it for lose/worn spots and repair as necessary.

i have never had my seat loose or any issues with it, 2014 P85D. I suggest you pull the seat out and inspect the threads of the bolts and the threads of the spot they crew into. Likely one or both are stripped. If its the bolts just buy new ones at home depot if it's the nuts on the car then either try and replace, which probably isn't an option, so just go to autozone and get a helicoil for the proper thread pitch and install them and reassemble the seat and call it a day.
If the threads are all good maybe the bolts were just loose put them back together with some blue loctite and see if that keeps it all snugged down.
If all the mounts are good then move higher to the movement assembly and inspect it for lose/worn spots and repair as necessary.

That all sounds sensible and exactly what I expected the remedy to be, but sadly I think it is more complex than that.

According to Tesla's technical bulletin it is caused by a problem with "the forward inboard Huck BOM fastener and pivot bushing (nearest to the center console) used on the front lift links.

See post #10 above for a link to the Bulletin and post #13 above for my experience when I asked Tesla to carry out the repair.

Needless to say my seat still rocks and I will just have to live with it. I'm not paying £1,000 for 'new' (old) seats with no guarantee the condition won't return.

Elon Musk nearly got it right in his interview with Sandy Munro - "Seats like a rocking stone toadstool" would have covered it.

Reactions: elee888

its the internal pivot that causes the rocking feeling, not the mounting bolts.

I purchased a used 2015 Model S 90D in 2019 and noticed the issue. The first time I went to the SC they said that they didn't notice any movement so they torqued seat bolts. I took it in again this past week and they performed the following under warranty:

Concern: Seats - customer states: Driver’s seat is wobbly. Moves when car is in motion and while stationary. I had made an appointment before but the appointment disappeared? I believe this should be covered under warranty. Verified customer concern.Diagnosed and Installed Driver's Seat Assembly. Verified Proper Operation. Correction: General Diagnosis Correction: Seat Assembly - Driver's (Remove & Install) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MS SEAT HRN PATCH MEMORY-SEAL TO UNSEAL (1139366-00-A) 1.0 EU-APAC-ASY-FS N GEN BLK LHD LH CUSH(1056287- 02-B) 1.0.

I don't know what they actually did (don't know what these parts are) but this was their response and I'm going to pick up the car today.

I purchased a used 2015 Model S 90D in 2019 and noticed the issue. The first time I went to the SC they said that they didn't notice any movement so they torqued seat bolts. I took it in again this past week and they performed the following under warranty:

Concern: Seats - customer states: Driver’s seat is wobbly. Moves when car is in motion and while stationary. I had made an appointment before but the appointment disappeared? I believe this should be covered under warranty. Verified customer concern.Diagnosed and Installed Driver's Seat Assembly. Verified Proper Operation. Correction: General Diagnosis Correction: Seat Assembly - Driver's (Remove & Install) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MS SEAT HRN PATCH MEMORY-SEAL TO UNSEAL (1139366-00-A) 1.0 EU-APAC-ASY-FS N GEN BLK LHD LH CUSH(1056287- 02-B) 1.0.

I don't know what they actually did (don't know what these parts are) but this was their response and I'm going to pick up the car today.

looks like they replaced one seat cushion and needed a wiring adapter to match your cars wiring. Hope that fixed it. Seems unlikely to fix a seat frame with a worn pivot.

looks like they replaced one seat cushion and needed a wiring adapter to match your cars wiring. Hope that fixed it. Seems unlikely to fix a seat frame with a worn pivot.

After picking up the car I asked a service rep to explain what parts were used and was advised that they replaced the seat. The seat is no longer moving and seems to be fixed. The first time they torqued the seat there was still some very minor movement but now there is none.

Reactions: SCharged
my 2013 P85 Gen 1 driver seat feels loose. you can feel it on hard braking and over railroad tracks. SC says it's normal.

It's a unsettling feeling.

update, my driver seat stopped moving back and forth. took it in thinking they’d replace the seat module, it escalated to a seat bottom replacement(under warranty). seat no longer rocks with the new bottom and I can move my seat back and forth.

not sure if the rocking was related to seat not moving forward and back.

I have a 2016 pre-facelift. The driver's seat was rocking pretty badly when I initially took delivery of the car. They replaced the chair once, it was still rocking. I took it back, they said the other SC that replaced the chair somehow cross-threaded the bolts and that they fixed it. It was still rocking at that point. They took me to another car on the SC lot though, and that seat also rocked like mine, so I took it as an indication that they probably weren't going to address it.

I've lived with this stupid rocking driver seat for nearly 5 years now. It still annoys me. I have to apply a leather lubricant to the side bolster every few months because it rubs against the center console as it rocks back and forth, making a load annoying creaking sound.

The only thing that makes it stop moving is to adjust the seat position all the way down. Unfortunately that's not a comfortable seating position for me, it hurts my legs. So I deal with the rocking and the creaking sometimes. Every time I think about it, it makes me think again that this is likely to be my last Tesla.

Happy New Year!

I'm currently collecting informations, and would very much like you to share your experiences related to loose driver's seat. If you don't want to post it here, you are welcome to PM me. Please, let me know if you are in the same situation as me and considering Class Action.

I appreciate the PMs that I already have received:)
Hey everybody!
First post, sorry it’s a complaint. I love my new Tesla MS 2016, 14,000 miles.
Problem: The drivers seat grinds going back and forth. I brought it to Tesla, charged me $95 to tell me it needs a $1,500 dollar new seat. The frame is broken they said, and this should fix it. The car is out of warranty. I just purchased this vehicle from a dealership, which won’t fix the problem either. Do you think I can join this lawsuit?

Hey everybody!
First post, sorry it’s a complaint. I love my new Tesla MS 2016, 14,000 miles.
Problem: The drivers seat grinds going back and forth. I brought it to Tesla, charged me $95 to tell me it needs a $1,500 dollar new seat. The frame is broken they said, and this should fix it. The car is out of warranty. I just purchased this vehicle from a dealership, which won’t fix the problem either. Do you think I can join this lawsuit?
Are they replacing the entire seat or the bottom portion? They broke the rails on mine while trying to address the rocking issue so they replaced just the bottom . I have to say it's seems better with less to no rocking.

Are they replacing the entire seat or the bottom portion? They broke the rails on mine while trying to address the rocking issue so they replaced just the bottom . I have to say it's seems better with less to no rocking.
MS seat HRN patch memory seal to unseal.
Front seat cushion next gen memory sealed harness.
2 items, $1500. They said something about frame being broke. I spoke with first owner of this car who kept it in immaculate condition. He said he was aware of no seat issue. But it is obvious when my girlfriend and I trade places, seat grinds loudly as it slides back and forth. Also I’m wondering if it affects total integrity of seat. It actually makes noises when car makes turns. I weigh 190 so I’m not a slob. Will class action lawsuit cover this?

Hey I’m wondering if anybody else’s seat makes noises all the time? It doesn’t rock back and forth like the people have said here. It grinds when adjusted forward or backward. Just riding around it makes noises, really takes away from the quietness. Anybody else experience this?

Hey I’m wondering if anybody else’s seat makes noises all the time? It doesn’t rock back and forth like the people have said here. It grinds when adjusted forward or backward. Just riding around it makes noises, really takes away from the quietness. Anybody else experience this?
Is it possible the sound is actually the leather side bolster contacting the center console as the seat rocks? That's the annoying sound my seat makes while driving. It comes out as a creaking sound. I apply Krytox grease every ~4 months to silence it.