Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose Driver's Seat...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi...

I have a P85+ that is about a month old. About a week ago, I noticed that the driver's side seat started to get loose, enough so that the seat will tilt down a few degrees under moderate braking (ie. fully releasing the accelerator under standard regen). The seat tilts back when the car comes to a complete stop.

The motion is similar to adjusting the thigh tilt on the seat up and down - its that sort of motion in which the seat feels loose.

I immediately brought my concern up to my local service center and they came back and said all Model S have a bit of play in the seat. I agreed with them since the loaner 85 I got had some play, but I would say not as much as my car. They told me to monitor it and if its continues, they will file a case with Tesla Engineering.

I wanted to check in and see if anyone is experience a similar issue.

I have 3 other cars, 2013 BMW M5, 2011 Porsche Panamera and a Mini Cooper S and none of them exhibit this degree of seat play.

I love the car otherwise, but the loose seat feeling is very unsettling under braking.

You know your car the best. Since it was not like that in the beginning, and it is getting progressively worse, I'd imagine that Tesla would notice the tolerance of play as well. Personally, I haven't noticed on mine.

I've noticed mine has some play. I had to brake hard on the freeway earlier in traffic and felt it move more than it has before. It was honestly a bit disconcerting. I called my service concierge to add this to the list of items they will be addressing in a few days.

14????

I don't remember the last time I had even 2 or 3 things wrong with any vehicle I ever bought brand new.

Well, quoting from my repair order that was e-mailed to me, it's actually more than 14. I agree a bit excessive, but for $126K I kind of expect some level of near-perfectness.

- front door panels creak badly when driver or passenger place elbow on the upper part of the door
- knocking sound and rattle coming from driver-side b-pillar in the seatbelt mechanism
- bad wind noise from sunroof when driving at speed or in crosswind
- bad wind noise coming from "triangle" windows in front door on passenger side
- headliner peeling away above driver door
- headliner 'bubble' on passenger-side b-pillar
- rattle from front passenger dash area
- muffled, rustling paper noise from speakers at times
- stubborn spots on rearview mirror
- lack of metal sill plates in the rear (see pictures attached - upper car is my P85+, lower is base 60 - why the difference?)
- top of 17" screen alignment is off
- bad factory detail job (wax residue left all over various surfaces; see underside of hood near windshield)
- swirls in paint on hood
- bad brake squeal on stop; customer tried repeatedly to 'bed in' brakes to no avail
- driver seat has too much "give" when stopping
- several scuffs on driver/passenger door sills that were present at delivery; customer advised to have service replace after delivery
- chip/crack in rear trunk interior trim on driver side

The loaner I received (P85, built prior to my car) is pretty much solid as a rock. No wind noise (with pano roof), no spurious rattles, no loose seat, etc. It's a perfect car. If it weren't for the fact that it's lacking the Performance Plus package I might be inclined to talk to Tesla about swapping.

I'll see what happens when I get the car back.