TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loose Driver's Seat...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by onesixeight, Aug 4, 2013.

1. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Hi...

I have a P85+ that is about a month old. About a week ago, I noticed that the driver's side seat started to get loose, enough so that the seat will tilt down a few degrees under moderate braking (ie. fully releasing the accelerator under standard regen). The seat tilts back when the car comes to a complete stop.

The motion is similar to adjusting the thigh tilt on the seat up and down - its that sort of motion in which the seat feels loose.

I immediately brought my concern up to my local service center and they came back and said all Model S have a bit of play in the seat. I agreed with them since the loaner 85 I got had some play, but I would say not as much as my car. They told me to monitor it and if its continues, they will file a case with Tesla Engineering.

I wanted to check in and see if anyone is experience a similar issue.

I have 3 other cars, 2013 BMW M5, 2011 Porsche Panamera and a Mini Cooper S and none of them exhibit this degree of seat play.

I love the car otherwise, but the loose seat feeling is very unsettling under braking.

2. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Just call them back and make an appointment to have it looked at. It's not possible for anyone on the other end of the phone to know if the amount of play in your seat is normal or abnormal.

3. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Yes, the car was brought it and they looked at it in person. Sorry I didn't make it clear. :)

4. thehunt

thehunt Member

Mine seems to have a little play when I go over bumps. Kinda feels like the rear of the seat is going up and down a little bit. Haven't had it looked at yet.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What? That doesn't sound right. There's absolutely no play or looseness of any kind in my seats and I'd be very concerned if there was.

6. lloyds

lloyds Member

You know your car the best. Since it was not like that in the beginning, and it is getting progressively worse, I'd imagine that Tesla would notice the tolerance of play as well. Personally, I haven't noticed on mine.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No looseness in mine either.

8. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Thanks for the reply guys. My service center has brought the issue to the attention of the engineering team in Fremont and is waiting to hear back from them.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#9 brianman, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    No Lucyness in mine either. But this thread did cause me to find this clip on YouTube:

10. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

I've noticed mine has some play. I had to brake hard on the freeway earlier in traffic and felt it move more than it has before. It was honestly a bit disconcerting. I called my service concierge to add this to the list of items they will be addressing in a few days.

11. lloyds

lloyds Member

#11 lloyds, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Love it haha!

12. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

My service center called and said enginnering advised them to replace the seat.

Great service experience so far at Tesla! I'm glad they are stepping up to the plate and very responsive to all issues I've had so far.

13. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

Dropped my car off today for this and about 14 other concerns.

We'll see what happens.

I sold my 2013 M5 but just took delivery of a 2014 M6 Coupe. Solid as a rock.

14. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

They are all $100,000.00 cars. How would you compare the P85 to the BMWs?

15. tuvow

tuvow Member

What other concerns do you have?

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

14????

I don't remember the last time I had even 2 or 3 things wrong with any vehicle I ever bought brand new.

17. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

Well, quoting from my repair order that was e-mailed to me, it's actually more than 14. I agree a bit excessive, but for $126K I kind of expect some level of near-perfectness.

- front door panels creak badly when driver or passenger place elbow on the upper part of the door
    - knocking sound and rattle coming from driver-side b-pillar in the seatbelt mechanism
    - bad wind noise from sunroof when driving at speed or in crosswind
    - bad wind noise coming from "triangle" windows in front door on passenger side
    - headliner peeling away above driver door
    - headliner 'bubble' on passenger-side b-pillar
    - rattle from front passenger dash area
    - muffled, rustling paper noise from speakers at times
    - stubborn spots on rearview mirror
    - lack of metal sill plates in the rear (see pictures attached - upper car is my P85+, lower is base 60 - why the difference?)
    - top of 17" screen alignment is off
    - bad factory detail job (wax residue left all over various surfaces; see underside of hood near windshield)
    - swirls in paint on hood
    - bad brake squeal on stop; customer tried repeatedly to 'bed in' brakes to no avail
    - driver seat has too much "give" when stopping
    - several scuffs on driver/passenger door sills that were present at delivery; customer advised to have service replace after delivery
    - chip/crack in rear trunk interior trim on driver side

The loaner I received (P85, built prior to my car) is pretty much solid as a rock. No wind noise (with pano roof), no spurious rattles, no loose seat, etc. It's a perfect car. If it weren't for the fact that it's lacking the Performance Plus package I might be inclined to talk to Tesla about swapping.

I'll see what happens when I get the car back.

18. nowucca

nowucca Member

I'm having loose seat issue at delivery time.
    im very concerned.
    emailing tesla agent now - anyone have this experience still?

19. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I sat in a P90DL at the Seattle Auto Show and noticed it also had this problem. I'm surprised Tesla still has this issue after all these years that the Model S has been out.

It had the updated, more supportive seats too.