Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose nut on tie rod!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's just the adjustment nut your tie rod isn't going to come off from that. If your tie rod did somehow back out enough turns to come off you would notice it happening long before it did. Your wheels would be pointing out like a V and the car would be pulling hard.

I would just tighten it and drive to the service center. Tell them you want an alignment because it might have moved slightly.
I don't think it's as innocuous as that. A jam nut loose like that means every time you steer you are stripping the threads. How long it takes to strip is the question. I would demand Tesla take the tie rod end to inspect the threads both in the end and on the inner tie rod.

I don't think it's as innocuous as that. A jam nut loose like that means every time you steer you are stripping the threads. How long it takes to strip is the question. I would demand Tesla take the tie rod end to inspect the threads both in the end and on the inner tie rod.

I don't think so. I've done w few tie rod ends. The nut is just there to keep the rod adjustment from turning. It doesn't have anything to do with load on the threads.

The threads go a few inches into the end links on each side. You turn the rod and snug up then nut to just keep it from moving after.

Reactions: Yelobird
I don't think so. I've done w few tie rod ends. The nut is just there to keep the rod adjustment from turning. It doesn't have anything to do with load on the threads.

The threads go a few inches into the end links on each side. You turn the rod and snug up then nut to just keep it from moving after.
Man I wish that were true. I thought so too. But talked to 5 mechanics - all said same thing. That nut prevents the tie rod from rotating slightly every time you turn the steering wheel. I confirmed this to be true because I thought gee the guy doing my state inspection who tightened the night didn't do a toe in adjustment - yet my steering suddenly felt more solid and not squishy. If it were just alignment toe in it would not have done that for me - no steering feel at all would have changed.

Man I wish that were true. I thought so too. But talked to 5 mechanics - all said same thing. That nut prevents the tie rod from rotating slightly every time you turn the steering wheel. I confirmed this to be true because I thought gee the guy doing my state inspection who tightened the night didn't do a toe in adjustment - yet my steering suddenly felt more solid and not squishy. If it were just alignment toe in it would not have done that for me - no steering feel at all would have changed.
Check out this video - these were stripped in less than 6 months.