Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose Rearview Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
My rear view mirror has some noticeable side to side play. The mirror mount appears to be fine/tight solid, but the mirror can move. Anyone have this issue and/or know how to tighten if possible? Car is still under warranty, but if it was something simple..would prefer to address myself.

Yes, I did the same thing a few months back. I found a youtube video that showed how to pop off the plastic housing around where the mirror attaches to the windshield. Then it was just a matter of using the right torx bit to tighten it up.

About a minute it shows the small bit of plastic you need to remove to get to the torx screw.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and Mike_TV
Yes, I did the same thing a few months back. I found a youtube video that showed how to pop off the plastic housing around where the mirror attaches to the windshield. Then it was just a matter of using the right torx bit to tighten it up.

About a minute it shows the small bit of plastic you need to remove to get to the torx screw.
My 22 MY appears to have a different piece of small plastic around the rearview mirror. Almost as if it's one piece of the larger one.

Can anyone with a 22 model year confirm?

My 21 MY has a lose mirror too. Thanks for the video. I didn’t see him adjust any torx screw though. Can I access it after removing just the first cover or do I need to take the big one off as well?

My 21 MY has a lose mirror too. Thanks for the video. I didn’t see him adjust any torx screw though. Can I access it after removing just the first cover or do I need to take the big one off as well?
If I remember correctly, just the small one. The torx is on one of the sides... You don't have to remove the mirror, just the first small plastic part.

If you remove the smaller plastic cover the torx screw is holding the aluminum piece the mirror twists on to. I also cannot remember exactly where on the mirror it was but if you look around it might be inside of a hole in the piece of aluminum.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I have the same issue with lateral movements. I just did it and took a picture. It's a T20 torx. Removing the cover was probably the hardest part if you don't have something thin but not too hard that may damage it. .
1648696914032.png

2023 model Y does not have the screw. It is a twist type mirror.
Are you able to elaborate some more on the design/fix or provide some pics? Not sure how this even happened but the rearview mirror for my 2023 MYLR is loose as well. It moves side-to-side that it's causing a rattling sound when driving and sometimes the mirror shifts a little when driving over potholes.

Like OP, I wouldn't mind trying to fix it myself if it's easy/straightforward. Otherwise, I'll probably have to schedule a service visit.

I have a May '22 build MY that had a little side-side wiggle. I removed the small cover as mentioned above and checked the T20 screw. It was tight. However the black plastic stalk portion was not tight against the aluminum base. There was a small black plastic clip in the base that looks like an attempt to hold the base to the stalk but it appears to be the wrong clip. There was no way to connect the two pieces using that clip. So a small machine screw, washer, and nyloc nut later the stalk is now firmly attached to the base. I reinstalled the T20 scew and made sure it was tight. Hopefully it holds up, it's firmly in place currently.

Attachments

• 20230724_203502.jpg
    20230724_203502.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230724_203541.jpg
    20230724_203541.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230724_210327.jpg
    20230724_210327.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230724_210333.jpg
    20230724_210333.jpg