Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose/rocking Driver's Seat with Squeak / Temp Fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery recently of my new MX and all checked out good, except after driving it a bit now the driver's seat has become pretty loose. Upon each acceleration/deceleration (not hard even) it rocks a little forward/back, like slight tilt, feels like a quarter of inch maybe or so. On top of that, when it does it, it also makes a little "mouse like" squeak, over bumps, leaning to touch the touchscreen usually, slowing in traffic, etc. Lots.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have a service appointment on 9/26 to address it, but going on a roadtrip soon and was curious if there is a short-term temporary fix that is possible in the meantime until then...

Thanks!

Took delivery recently of my new MX and all checked out good, except after driving it a bit now the driver's seat has become pretty loose. Upon each acceleration/deceleration (not hard even) it rocks a little forward/back, like slight tilt, feels like a quarter of inch maybe or so. On top of that, when it does it, it also makes a little "mouse like" squeak, over bumps, leaning to touch the touchscreen usually, slowing in traffic, etc. Lots.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have a service appointment on 9/26 to address it, but going on a roadtrip soon and was curious if there is a short-term temporary fix that is possible in the meantime until then...

Thanks!

I actually have the same issue, but on both front seats. Annoying for sure but okay for a bit. I don't think there's a temp fix, only because it's not the frame or bolting down in my opinion. It seems like it's the connection between the back rest and actual seat. So unless you're willing to open it up and tighten those connections I think it's a SC thing. I remember seeing someone post here that the fix was a full replacement.

I have the same squeaky problem on my driver seat and waiting for an appointment at the SC to resolve it. In fact, there are squeaks and rattles everywhere in the car and I've been back numerous times to try and get them all fixed. My neighbors must think I'm a drug dealer or something because of all the different color Tesla's I've had parked in my driveway.

• Funny
Reactions: Macbest
I've made due temporarily until my next service appointment by stuffing some hard paper/cardboard in between the loose/broken bolt and seat rail that it was flexing/squeaking on. Problem solved temporarily although its a little cheap ;-)
Has this issue been fixed for you? I have this issue with my drivers seat. SC told me today this is normal because "Tesla's have so much torque". Total BS as far as I am concerned. I have an appointment in a week or so for several other issues and want this resolved if possible.

Mine is fixed, in a way. The rocking (bad) and squeaking (from that) were due to a bolt not being torqued at all enough and stripped or something. It was totally loose on the riser of the seat front, attaching it to car - ridiculous on a new delivered car in my opinion. They discovered that was the cause, then had to order the whole part as didn't have it, then installed seat/fixed. Only thing left if went in to have the riser cover (black plastic part) installed on top of this and it doesn't install unless they take seat out again, install with cover, reinstall. They never seem to know the car or what they are doing quite yet.

Hopefully after having the cover installed tomorrow, the seat doesn't rock/squeak again from coming in and out again due to their mistake.

But to answer your question, the rocking was/has been fixed on mine. Look under the cover, snaps off, and see if it has a loose bolt perhaps also?

Agreed. I told them it was a safety concern the driver should not have to worry about the seat moving! My car was delivered a month before so they were willing to address any issues but I'd push it as a safety issue the driver should not be moving around if they are controlling the vehicle!! I was quite pissed as my last car a Mercedes had 125000 miles and the seat doesn't rock and this new car seat was all over with just a few 1000 miles every time I stopped at a stop sign and then accelerated again. As I said they swapped the seat without issue!

Last edited:
Reactions: Insureit1