Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles --> Atlanta ('18 Model3 LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I am moving to ATL, and I would like to drive (vs ship) out there with my Model3.

Have been doing some preliminary research on the Tesla planner, and ABRP. Looks like it is doable, but my main question is the locations I need to get a hotel at. I assume I would need to stay somewhere for 3-4 nights, and ideally find a hotel with a destination charger.

Anyone have experience with this drive, or parts of it? Where did you stay, how was the charging stations along the way, etc...

Thanks!

You can use the plugshare app to find hotels with chargers. Set your filters for J1772 and "Tesla". The filter for hotels is located under "temporary filters".
FWIW, we try to stay at a hotel near a supercharger. We use the nearby supercharger as a backup in case the hotel's charger is iced or is broken, or in case there's not a hotel with a charger where we want to stop.
Some people have reported success calling ahead and asking the hotel to block off a charger spot for them. And, some people have reported success asking the hotel if they can use an outside 120V outlet to trickle charge overnight. It'll add 3-4 miles per hour.

I second all the advice @theothertom gives.

I'll add my own recent experience, because I went from Charlotte, NC, to Los Angeles and back in Feb/Mar of this year. Down through Atlanta to I-10 for the trip out, and back on I-40. It was a piece of cake in the MY LR. Out of 13 nights on the road, I was able to charge at hotels 7 of those nights. (Probably would have been 8, but I stayed with family in L.A.)

If you're wanting to do the trip as quickly as possible, you will probably be going I-10 East until the junction with I-20 in West Texas, and then take I-20 all the way to Atlanta. I'm not as sure about the I-20 portion of it, but it looks like the superchargers are at least as frequent as they are on the comparable part of I-10.

I highly recommend the University Inn in Tucson. It's an older motel, but they have 2 Tesla Destination chargers, and they will block one for you if you call ahead.

Reactions: theothertom