TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Los Angeles Car Wash

Discussion in 'California' started by Joetnr1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Hey L.A. folks,

I've been working my butt off with the two bucket technique and after a few months of ownership, I realize that I stink at it. I can never dry in time, leaving streaks, drips, etc...

I'm thinking I may need to have someone come by the house and knock out my wife and my cars professionally from time to time. Wondering if anyone has any recs for someone reasonable that does a great job with the Model S? Also, I'm willing to bring it somewhere as well.

Thanks!

2. velocty

velocty Member

Same. Southbay here

3. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Bump

4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#4 Mark Z, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    I use a standard power wash at a manual car wash bay with a light single bucket mitt soaping after a 4 minute wash/rinse with the wand. Then a 4 minute power rinse (don't forget to power wash the mitt to remove dirt) and finally a 4 minute spotless rinse. Two large double sided microfiber drying towels will speed the dry time greatly with no wringing of the towel. Both of the towels are washed after use at home in the washing machine with a very slight amount of liquid detergent. The towels are then put on a towel rack to dry.

Test the pressure of the wash wand by increasing/decreasing the distance of the spray against your hand. The right distance should be comfortable. Use that measurement to keep the wand the right distance from the vehicle. Don't power wash close to taillights as water will enter the light covers (and should disappear in a day or two if a small amount of moisture appears).

I couldn't find my exact towel, but here are a list of products that I have been using and a similar towel:

P21S Auto Shampoo: P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo - 500 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
    Sheepskin wash mitt: DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt without thumb | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
    Drying towel: Gyeon Silk Dryer - 28" x 35" | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
    For wheels: DI Brushes EZ Detail Brush - Full Size | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
    Wheel Cleaner: P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 1000 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
    (5 gallon bucket is used with the auto shampoo and wash mitt.)

The wheel cleaner is sprayed on, then the detail brush is used to clean all wheel surfaces. Do this when the car wash is not busy as a courtesy to other customers, as it takes extra time for the gel to work. The Gel Wheel Cleaner must be power rinsed off with the power wash wand. Other tips here: EZ Detail Brush by EZ Products inc. – The worlds best detail cleaning brush – Proudly Made in the U.S.A.

For Model X, use a Mallory squeegee to help remove water off the windows and as an extension to move the mitt or drying towel on top of the vehicle. Saves time and effort. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mallory-Squeegee-with-8-Head/17175667