Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla for almost a month and I'm looking for some feedback from Los Angeles Tesla owners. I have my car parked outside and I've noticed in the past 5 hours my battery has gone from 92 miles to 83 miles. I don't have preconditioning on, however the cabin overheat option on. I do hear the car start running maybe the fan to cool the batteries but not 100% sure if that's what its doing. So my question is if it's normal for the battery to go that low in LA heat?

Thanks

I have had my Tesla for almost a month and I'm looking for some feedback from Los Angeles Tesla owners. I have my car parked outside and I've noticed in the past 5 hours my battery has gone from 92 miles to 83 miles. I don't have preconditioning on, however the cabin overheat option on. I do hear the car start running maybe the fan to cool the batteries but not 100% sure if that's what its doing. So my question is if it's normal for the battery to go that low in LA heat?

Thanks

In the garage, unplugged with always connected on I lose 6-7 miles, with always connected off, 3-4 miles

Thanks
A little higher than normal. I'd turn the preconditioning stuff off.

We lose at least ten miles when my wife parks the S for ten hours outside her office in the Phoenix sun. But I like the idea of keeping the temp below 105 even though we don't have young kids in the backseat, so safety isn't the reasoning.

I have preconditioning off right now. I only have the cabin overheat option on. Right now temps in the car show they are getting to about 103.
Try turning cabin overheat protection on and see if that improves it. As I recall from posts when this was first introduced it was meant to protect Tesla from warranty replacement of the 17" screens that occurred at continued high temps.

Try turning cabin overheat protection on and see if that improves it. As I recall from posts when this was first introduced it was meant to protect Tesla from warranty replacement of the 17" screens that occurred at continued high temps.
The other poster said interior was 103 and cabin overheat only flips on at 105. In Musk's tweetstorm yesterday he was asked about allowing variable settings for overheat protection but I'm not sure he committed to that change.

The other poster said interior was 103 and cabin overheat only flips on at 105. In Musk's tweetstorm yesterday he was asked about allowing variable settings for overheat protection but I'm not sure he committed to that change.
I doubt he will because he claimed in a tweet that the change was to protect kids but there where people here on this forum who claimed their 17" display screens started bubbling and were told at the SvC it was because of excessive interior heat and those are covered under warranty. Anyway, I turned mine off months ago and it helped with reducing vampire drain. Worth a shot.