Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles to Mammoth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an upcoming trip to Mammoth. Heading up there from West Los Angeles via the 395. I have the non-p AWD Model 3. Has anyone done this trip? Curious what the charging increments are going to be? Considering taking my wife’s SUV as an alternative if the stops are going to be frequent (or more importantly if there’s a risk of not making it based on range). I tend to drive fairly aggressive on this route. Is there a particular stretch to be most cautious with range?

My experience, only a couple trips, from San Jose to San Diego (and back) and San Jose Las Vegas (and back) is that speed will eat up reserve more than other other thing..

I have 19" OEM rims so less efficient than aeros but better than 20s

65 and under is close to Tesla rated range, it drops quick after that

EV Trip Optomiser is your friend. It accounts for temp and you can put in your speed and other performance hits.

The car is also pretty accurate. I’ve heard taking off 10% for driving 75mph is a pretty good wag.

I did a trip from slc to neighboring state. The speed was 80 and did 88 in 36 degree F weather. I was 90 percent charged (279) and squeezed out 187 miles with 20 miles left when I got to the super charger. Lost of 71 miles due to cold and speed. Just to give you an idea.

Did a similar trip when I got my TM3 back in March. There are LOTS of chargers (except at the North Rim), but I was trying to get to the Sonora Pass where I have a cabin from Vegas. It were easy, 10 minute stops.

But it did add a stop when I got to what I thought was my last charger, and when I got to that stop it suggested I stop in Carson City and take 80 over the pass. Wish I had paid more attention to what it was thinking, but it was new to me at the time.

Looking at your car's map is probably the best authority, but just checking tesla.com/trips it looks like short stops in Mojave and Lone Pine

-Randy

We did Santa Barbara to Mammoth back in July in our LR RWD 3. We did a short stop in Mojave and a long one in Lone Pine. The Lone Pine supercharger is at the Western Movie museum which is a very nice, charming little, new museum. Its also about a block walk N on the highway/mainstreet to a few restaurants for lunch during a long charge. From there it was an easy run to Mammoth and the supercharger there. But that was in summer, I don't know about the impact of cold weather on your range.

Just did this trip back in October. We stopped in Mojave, Lone Pine, then spent the night at Tom's Place before heading to Mammoth. Sounds like you will do the whole thing in one fell swoop. Use the route planner recommended above. Also, a couple things I found on my drive. We had some fierce headwinds on the 395 that dropped my consumption from the normal 250 wh/mile down to 325 wh/mile. That combined with your projected fast driving could be an issue. This is totally doable, but you just need to make sure that you have sufficient reserve should that happen.

In the morning at Tom's Place before heading into Mammoth, the outside temperature was 22 degrees. Car had frost on it for the first time ever! We had plenty of juice for the 25 miles to the Mammoth Supercharger (we went on to Reno) but did get the snowflake that indicates regen either wasn't available or range was impacted due to cold battery, not sure. That drive from Pasadena to Reno (2 days) was my longest trip yet. Long range 3 but no dual motor.

Be sure and stop at the Indian Wells brewery to stock up for the Mammoth Party!

RT

The interesting thing was, the temp drop to 30 f when I was charging from 20 miles to 279. It took 40 mins. Quicker then my food to be done so I had to run out and move the car. Pretty fast. The whole trip cost me 25 bucks round where it would have cost me 125 on my ice truck.

Just did this trip back in October. We stopped in Mojave, Lone Pine, then spent the night at Tom's Place before heading to Mammoth. Sounds like you will do the whole thing in one fell swoop. Use the route planner recommended above. Also, a couple things I found on my drive. We had some fierce headwinds on the 395 that dropped my consumption from the normal 250 wh/mile down to 325 wh/mile. That combined with your projected fast driving could be an issue. This is totally doable, but you just need to make sure that you have sufficient reserve should that happen.

In the morning at Tom's Place before heading into Mammoth, the outside temperature was 22 degrees. Car had frost on it for the first time ever! We had plenty of juice for the 25 miles to the Mammoth Supercharger (we went on to Reno) but did get the snowflake that indicates regen either wasn't available or range was impacted due to cold battery, not sure. That drive from Pasadena to Reno (2 days) was my longest trip yet. Long range 3 but no dual motor.

Be sure and stop at the Indian Wells brewery to stock up for the Mammoth Party!

RT[/QUOTE

These are the routes and stops I’m planning for. Is there a supercharger in Mammoth or more of a ChargePoint type facility? Where is it located? It would be nice to have a charger in Bishop as well to account for the last leg. Thank you for the feedback.

Our experience, both last winter and over Memorial Day:

One sandwich-length (15-minute) charging stop in Lone Pine on uphill run from San Fernando Valley to Mammoth. Arrived with about 70 miles.

No charging required on downhill return. Arrived with 30-40 miles left.

Wife drives 72. I drive 74, except 77 or so on the 70 mph stretch between Lancaster and Mojave.

On both trips, we had mild weather and no excessive headwinds.

Looks like I better go ICE if I want to drive up to OR along the coast.

Went from San Diego to Bremerton, Wa. in our S75 in September. Took the 101 from San Francisco all the way and never worried about charging. Plenty of SuC available on that route. Came back through Reno and Mammoth. Also no worries. We went to Jackson Hole in March and no worries if you go through Idaho Falls. Have also taken 2 trips to Atlanta and one to Santa Fe. I think these days people have much more range anxiety than is justified. Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: Jivas
I drove from LA to Mammoth on the 21st with a Model 3 D, I stopped in Mojave (charged 26kw) and also in Lone Pine (charged 34kw) I made it to Mammoth with around 15% left.

The trip planner suggested I would need to only stop in Lone Pine but I didn't take a chance because I was driving faster than the recommended speed.

I also ended up charging a bit in Mammoth when I got there because it charges faster when the battery is still hot, and no one is using any of the station there late at night.

The night was cold (~15F) and snowing and in the morning the driver door handle was stuck frozen, the following mornings I remembered to warm up the car 30 minutes before getting in it.

Tip: if your car is covered in snow, before opening the trunk clear out the snow at the bottom of the back windshield and the part of the trunk near the windshield. I didn't expect so much snow to get in the trunk.

Reactions: TT97
Went from San Diego to Bremerton, Wa. in our S75 in September. Took the 101 from San Francisco all the way and never worried about charging. Plenty of SuC available on that route. Came back through Reno and Mammoth. Also no worries. We went to Jackson Hole in March and no worries if you go through Idaho Falls. Have also taken 2 trips to Atlanta and one to Santa Fe. I think these days people have much more range anxiety than is justified. Just my opinion, though.

But 101 isnt the way I want to go. I want to go up hwy 1 along the coast. Going from 1 to 101 to SuC sites is too far.

I did a trip from slc to neighboring state. The speed was 80 and did 88 in 36 degree F weather. I was 90 percent charged (279) and squeezed out 187 miles with 20 miles left when I got to the super charger. Lost of 71 miles due to cold and speed. Just to give you an idea.
Which neighboring state? If Wyoming or Colorado then you did amazing. If Nevada or Idaho you did alright.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110