Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles to Sequoia National Forest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to share the experience with everyone to have more references to go from when going on road trips with their Model X. Just wanted to post an update and current situation.
IMG_6946.JPG

stuck at a motel?

Decided to make a stop at Tulare to checkout the outlet and just get an early start tomorrow instead of arriving at the campground at night. Tricklecharging is super slow, but it's better than nothing. I didn't think I would ever need a NEMA-5-20 adaptor, but I'll be ordering one seeing that it can actually be used with these types of motels.

Decided to make a stop at Tulare to checkout the outlet and just get an early start tomorrow instead of arriving at the campground at night. Tricklecharging is super slow, but it's better than nothing. I didn't think I would ever need a NEMA-5-20 adaptor, but I'll be ordering one seeing that it can actually be used with these types of motels.
Theres a great italian restaurant with 2 HPWCs in tulare also

Reactions: balerion
Hoping to go sift thru the photos in the next day or so, but here's a coupled of random shots from my phone in the meantime. Planning to post more on IG: theblackdreadbalerion, which is probably more appropriate.

Attachments

• IMG_8910.JPG
    IMG_8910.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8936.JPG
    IMG_8936.JPG
    732.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8949.JPG
    IMG_8949.JPG
    766.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8854.JPG
    IMG_8854.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8860.JPG
    IMG_8860.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_8861.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8880.JPG
    IMG_8880.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 145
This is pretty much the route I took for the trip :https://goo.gl/maps/4CLv8RQNC1B2. I really over did it on charging and safety nets to account for the range anxiety for this trip as it was my first trip to Sequoai. This was just a spontaneous trial run, but I plan on camping up there in the future and doing this trip really gave me insight that it's very doable.

Los Angeles to Burbank SC - 13.6 miles
GOPR0947.JPG
Burbank SC to Bakersfield SC- 107 miles
IMG_8851.JPG
Bakersfield SC to Kettleman City SC- 56.9 miles
GOPR0973.JPG
Kettleman City SC to Tulare Outlets- 47.6 miles
overnight stay in Tulare Motel
Tulare Motel to Gateway Restaurant and Lodge HPWC- 48.2 miles
IMG_6984.JPG
Gateway Restaurant and Lodge to General Sherman Tree- 19.0 miles
IMG_7072.JPG GOPR1085.JPG IMG_E8949.JPG
General Sherman Tree- Tunnel Log- 3.8 miles
IMG_7041.JPG IMG_7034.JPG

One way trip total: 296 miles

We made a trip through there this summer. Death Valley to Sequoia to Kings Canyon to Yosemite. Such a fun trip although we didn't take our X since it wasn't delivered yet. Picked it up the day we got back home. Really look forward to going back to all these parks and taking our Tesla through there sometime in the future.

Saw a couple of MS'd on the road to Yosemite from Fresno - I bet the uphill drains power really fast - but there is a SC @ the Ahwahnee. Prob freaks people out a little but the downhill prob uses almost no power at all.
On the route from LA to Sequoia (which is what the OP is talking about) Yosemite and the Ahwahnee are a pretty big detour. And the Ahwahnee has Tesla HPWCs, not an “SC” (Supercharger).

Saw a couple of MS'd on the road to Yosemite from Fresno - I bet the uphill drains power really fast - but there is a SC @ the Ahwahnee. Prob freaks people out a little but the downhill prob almost no power at all.
Planning to do Yosemite as well, which actually seemed more ideal since there was a SC at Fish Camp. It’s funny seeing other Tesla’s on long stretches of the freeway, since you know you’re most likely going to the same place.

The only reason I was anxious was, because I did a trip from Rancho Cucamonga SC to a cabin in Big Bear. It was around 60 miles on the map, but when I actually drove up I ended up consuming I think close to double. The elevation gain of Sequoai was roughly the same compared to Big Bear. The regen from the downhill definitely helps and the Tesla native navigation I think takes it into account automatically if you pay attention to the arrive/return trip percentage before you go up the mountain.