TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Los Angeles to study converting to 100% zero emission bus fleet

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by RubberToe, May 20, 2016.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Per the following April Board of Directors meeting minutes. Current fleet is 100% CNG now. Looks like they hope to figure out how to transition to all battery buses sooner rather than later. Foothill Transit already operates battery buses on one of it's routes, and is buying a bunch more.

No clean diesels allowed ;)

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Have things changed ? I was under the impression that CARB calls CNG "ZEV."
    Or is LA jumping ahead of even CARB ?

3. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Look to be jumping ahead. If the November ballot measure to increase transit funding passes, switching over to electric buses seems like a slam dunk despite the cost. The cost of a few thousand electric buses would be a rounding error given the size ($120 billion) of the proposed tax.

Everything Metro LA Wants to Build Over the Next 40 Years

4. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Good. This isn't just a study on *whether* to convert the fleet to 100% battery-electric. They've *already decided* to do this. This is a study to figure out which manufacturers to buy the buses from, how to properly evaluate competing bids, and how to buy them as cost-effectively as possible.

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

It appears that a Chinese company is in the lead for the (municipal) electric bus business. I remember reading something about a US location for assembly at least.