Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles Utility Scale Storage Project: Check my Math !!

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
No. That's the other problem I have with that lecture. They assume $6/w for nuclear.... ROTFLMAO. Not sure what they assume for solar or wind. The key takeaway is the exponentially increasing levels of curtailment.
I listened to half of the lecture. It was interesting and the methods made sense but infrastructure, off-shore wind and demand response from EVs and heat pumps is going to turn his conclusions upside down.

iPlug

Sep 14, 2019
Rocklin, CA
Absent demand response or storage you're throwing away ~28% of generation to get to 80% renewables...
Renewable energy keeps getting cheaper. Even if that were not the case, given externality costs, going well into double digit and beyond over generation of renewables may not be a bad thing at all.

^^ 28% over generation is nothing compared to the price curve PV is enjoying -- even if true which I doubt if EVs are around to soak up the 'excess.'
And a lot of potential for TOU home, commercial, and industrial heat pump (air and water) growth to soak this up.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC