Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lose all sound from back speakers, bass from all speakers after sleep on brand-new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, we got our new Model 3 last month and we love it! However, while everything sounded great on day 1, we noticed that on day 2 the back speakers had stopped working and that none of the car speakers had bass.

After much experimenting, we learned that this can be fixed with a soft reboot, but will occur again if the car is left idle long enough to sleep.

Already took it in for service once and they said the bluetooth unit was soft-seated, so they re-seated it. Unfortunately, the problem occurred again anyway. On my own I did a factory reset and have been slowly introducing my preferred settings every few hours (change a setting, wait for sleep, test speakers) little by little to see if anything triggers it. Nothing did! Then, a few days after all my original settings had been recreated, it happened again the morning when getting in the car to go to work. I'm stumped.

I'm in the process of setting up a new service appointment in the meantime, but if anyone had any insights or ideas, I'd love to dig deeper into this.

Yes, this is a known software bug that Tesla introduced recently: When the car runs Sentry mode, it turns off the rear amplifiers to save power (the car wasn't designed with Sentry mode in mind) but doesn't always turn them back on.

The fix is to ask Service to push the relevant software update to your car. I believe version 2021.36.8 has the fix. They should know which version has the fix and they can do it remotely. (If they don't, ask them to do their homework.)

Meanwhile you can do the two-thumb reboot each time or don't use Sentry mode.

Note: Tesla's software updates don't work the way anyone would expect. They test multiple branches in parallel so the version numbers are not monotonic. They slowly push out many different versions to different cars, spanning many weeks. Normally we just have to be patient. Taking a month or two is not "stuck" on a particular version. New cars reportedly go for a while before getting the first update. But some bug fixes are enough to get the service folks willing to push an update to you.

More about software updates in the first article of this thread (no need to bother with the rest):

Reactions: Snowball316
How can I ask for a remote push? Who do I call for that?

Right now I have an appointment but it's getting difficult taking it all the way to a service center every time we realize whatever they tried didn't work (they don't offer remote / mobile options when it's stereo-related).

Yes, this is a known software bug that Tesla introduced recently: When the car runs Sentry mode, it turns off the rear amplifiers to save power (the car wasn't designed with Sentry mode in mind) but doesn't always turn them back on.

The fix is to ask Service to push the relevant software update to your car. I believe version 2021.36.8 has the fix. They should know which version has the fix and they can do it remotely. (If they don't, ask them to do their homework.)

Meanwhile you can do the two-thumb reboot each time or don't use Sentry mode.

Note: Tesla's software updates don't work the way anyone would expect. They test multiple branches in parallel so the version numbers are not monotonic. They slowly push out many different versions to different cars, spanning many weeks. Normally we just have to be patient. Taking a month or two is not "stuck" on a particular version. New cars reportedly go for a while before getting the first update. But some bug fixes are enough to get the service folks willing to push an update to you.

More about software updates in the first article of this thread (no need to bother with the rest):
version 2021.36.8 has the fix - confirming this works. I had the same problem as you for a few weeks and took it to service center. Service center could not fix it and not hardware issue. All you can wait is wait for the new software update to fix that little bug.