Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lose pasenger side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I noticed that my passenger side mirror of my new Model S isn't returning to its normal position after putting the car into drive. Inspection of the passenger side mirror assembly shows that it now fails to extend all the way and it is lose when extended with about a quarter to half inch "wobble". Each time I put the car into drive I have to use the mirror control buttons to manually aim the passenger side mirror away from the car. This helps to extend the mirror the rest of the way, although it is still lose on its mount, and to reset it to its memorized position. I now have to adjust the mirror every time the car is put into Drive from either Park or after reversing.

-Mark

Uh oh. I'm not sure what that is either, but the very same thing happened to me this past weekend! The passenger side mirror failed to unfold all the way and was loose when I gently tested moving it by hand (didn't push or force it in any way.) It was as if a cable or spring that would normally pull out the mirror had gone slack.

I used the mirror control buttons to extend it out as far as it would go, which left the passenger side of the car just visible in the mirror's left edge. After the mirrors folded in again, the problem seemed to correct itself and the mirrors now extend to their full positions again. I've put it through roughly 10 fold/unfold cycles since Saturday and the problem has not repeated. But it sounds like you weren't as fortunate.

Anyone know what sort of mechanism is used? Is there some gear or cam that might be wearing out?

Reactions: mark.lawler
Make that three! Exact same behavior, but I'm not sure about it being loose. I'll have to check. Must be the dropping temps.

I was able to make it recover manually twice this weekend, but it seemed to fail for good last night. After a few dozen manual open/closes it finally opened all the way. I disabled automatic folding and will leave it open until Tesla can look at it. I already had service scheduled for next week, so add it to the list, I guess.

Reactions: mark.lawler
Mine isnt loose, but, I have that similar issue with it returning into open position and the settings failing to be retained on that mirror.

SC gave me a kind of BS answer of the command being sent before the powering up process completes ...... if anyone hears a better excuse, let me in on it.