Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

:( losing 25-30 miles while idled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the smart conditioning setting on.

@Zelectric what software version are you on? Since I updated to 32.12.7 I'm not getting much drain.. I get about 5 miles of idle drain through the day now.

I have taken @Hugh Mannity's advice to use Teslafi to record idle range loss.. so I'm going to compare day to day each feature at a time to see if I can find out the cause of the drain in my situation.

As far as I've read, smart conditioning and even heating the cabin while driving will rinse the battery at a much faster rate.

I have the exact same problem.... I lost 26 miles sitting in the parking lot at work yesterday. The Temp was around 20 F when I arrived at work at 7:00am and about 39 F when I left at 4:30PM.
2015 P90D its my first full winter with the car last winter I only had it from January on. It was the same thing. The colder the day the more the loss. I just thought it was normal. I do start warming the car as I walk out, but we are talking about 3 minutes worth of walking.
What else so I look to change so the drain is zero?
2019.32.12.7 - Been on it for about a week or more.
@nikhon Do you have Range Mode on or off?

I'm having similar problems since I got a new MDU and Service installed Software V10 from my old Software V8
2012 P85 NO AP
Energy saving ON (switched from off when issue first started)
Always connected OFF (switched from on when issue first started)
Range mode OFF (haven't really tried this)
I changed my Tesla password on 2 different occasions to pull API tokens for apps that might be keeping car awake.
Daily draw is similar when 90F of 30F outside.
I do have a Radar detector and dash cam both wired to only be on when car is "on" and draw about 14 watts while on when I've measured the pair. I tried disconnecting both for a week and saw no noticeable change.
I recently installed Tesla Fi (in attempt to find issue)and it looks like the car is drawing .5~.6 KW.
Service claims my Radar detector and Dash Camera are causing drains.

Any and all ideas are welcomed.

@Zelectric I have range mode on... One thing I'm testing but I can't be sure until I see the teslfi data. It could be sentry.. do you guys have sentry on? Annoyingly I wish I had teslfi when I was still getting the drain to see if the car was sleeping and for how long.

@Andrejun what's your Teslafi data showing in terms of idle Vs sleep?

@nikhon my car has seen 0 minutes of sleep since I installed/ signed up for TeslaFi.

Attachments

• 74B3FD2C-DC3E-443B-A0E1-6A96AB6DFC26.png
    74B3FD2C-DC3E-443B-A0E1-6A96AB6DFC26.png
    558.1 KB · Views: 69
@nikhon my car has seen 0 minutes of sleep since I installed/ signed up for TeslaFi.

Ahh okay, so you defo want it to start showing some sleep cycles. In teslafi go to Settings > Sleep Mode > enable. I left all my other settings as default. Then you'll want to monitor the raw data. Help > raw data. Here you should see 'logger notes' column. For me it showed like Sentry active etc.. so I turned that off and it went to sleep while idle.

See my screenshot (I've been waking the car in between to check but I haven't lost any range for over 9hrs .. well a tiny bit but its negligible
Screenshot_20191115_222727_com.android.chrome.jpg

It has slept a few times so far. looking promising.

Nice!! Seems that something is interupting the sleep. Have you been using the official Tesla app inbetween? If you're unsure check the raw data log it should tell you some more info.

I just woke up (and also woke up the car) and continuing from my previous screenshot, I've not lost any range. Which is incredible considering I was losing so much range before. My gut feeling it was a software issue that was causing it for me, that was keeping the car awake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116_074022_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116_074022_com.android.chrome.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 42
@nikhon
Normal sleep would be more/ less/ different intervals?

Looking at your screenshots from yesterday and today I would have expected a single sleep entry instead of multiple ones.. I don't see why your car is switching to idle (unless you're waking it, even then it shouldn't take 4hrs for it to go to sleep again). I think thats what you need to determine.

However, it looks like you only had 1% range loss over 14hrs, if I'm reading it correctly.. I haven't used TeslaFi for very long but that's pretty damn good in my opinion. I believe you should be seeing a solid chunk of sleep instead of multiple ones. It also could be some settings in the sleep mode that you need to play around with.

@nikhon I've been on 2019.36.2.1 for a few days. Its not really that cold today here but going to see what I lose. I might need to think about TeslaFI

Nice!! Super jealous, have been waiting for 2019.36.2.1. definitely jump on Teslafi and give it a try, its changed the way I monitor the car. Especially ensuring if the cars asleep fully etc. I noticed something over the weekend where the car would be online in a 'deep sleep' which is weird.

Let us know how you get on with 36.2.1.. also if you need a Teslafi referral feel free to use mine for an additional 2 weeks trial
teslafi.com/signup.php?referred=nikhon

Finally updated to 2019.36.2.1 yesterday evening. Interestingly the car wouldnt sleep at all last night. I made sure no settings had changed but teslafi kept reporting that the car did not go to sleep :(

Going to do a reset and see if I can get it to sleep again. Lost about 5.5miles overnight which still isn't bad, but considering I managed to get 0-1% range loss before the update makes me think something from the update is causing range loss, maybe Tesla logging data etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191120_082733_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191120_082733_com.android.chrome.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 46
Finally updated to 2019.36.2.1 yesterday evening. Interestingly the car wouldnt sleep at all last night. I made sure no settings had changed but teslafi kept reporting that the car did not go to sleep :(

Going to do a reset and see if I can get it to sleep again. Lost about 5.5miles overnight which still isn't bad, but considering I managed to get 0-1% range loss before the update makes me think something from the update is causing range loss, maybe Tesla logging data etc.
What did you find?

Do you, by chance, still have sentry on? You mentioned it above in post 24, but not clear if you have it on or asking about others. That will keep the car from sleeping.

@Zelectric @brkaus

Sorry forgot to update you. After a day or two being on 2019.36.2.1, the range loss over night was back to around 1%. sentry was off so it definitely wasnt that, i did see some API errors being reported in the log, so maybe it was blip after the update. I have to say that after following the advice here and also monitoring via Teslafi, it has really helped reduce any idle/phantom range loss. So my concerns are certainly gone. I even setup a widget on my phone so Teslafi is constantly updated without me having to login etc in the browser.

@Zelectric has your range loss issues reduced/gone?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191204_063216_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20191204_063216_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 37