Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing 3.5KWh sitting in garage for 24h? Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla peoples!

Enjoying my month-old Model X 100D, and just returned from a trip where the car sat idle in the garage while we were away. Each day there was a loss of 3.5 KWh and about 11 miles of range.

Is this normal? Should the car go into 'sleep' mode? I have pre-conditioning turned OFF.

From TeslaFi:

upload_2018-7-19_10-50-15.png

Btw, TeslaFi is really amazing. Fantastic service for data geeks.

Bunch of other threads you can find in case I miss something.

Energy Savings On
Always Connected Off
Cabin Overheat Protection Off

TeslaFi Sleep Mode Enabled (Settings, Sleep Modes)
That should be sufficient. You can experiment with Nighttime and Deep Sleep modes if you think TeslaFi is still keeping it awake too much.

I also like setting No Outside Temperature Reading, with Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep = 1
That seems to let it sleep without all the trials that lose 15 min of data.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jlindo and P85_DA
Curious why are you even worrying about 3.5kw? It's a 100D. You have plenty of range and if you are going on an all-in trip the following day, you will just leave it plugged in the night before and it will use the house juice.

I used to have range anxiety when I first got mine but now I just follow the moniker "A plugged in Tesla is a Happy Tesla". I haven't given it a second thought since..

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
... you will just leave it plugged in the night before and it will use the house juice.

That's a common misconception. When the car is plugged in it will not draw power from the grid to power itself. It will only draw power from the grid when charging or when the AC or heater is turned on. If it is done charging, it will run entirely off the battery. After a certain amount of range is lost it will top off but that happens only every 2 to 3 days roughly.

Regardless of that I think it's reasonable to see how much energy the car consumes just sitting there.

Reactions: Jlindo