Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing charge when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my 20 M3P is losing 23 miles of range between charges. I charge once a week at work and I do not have a plug at home to use. I live in an apartment. I have turned sentry mode off, cabin overheat off and I hardly ever check the app so as to let the car sleep. I know the car is going to sleep because Teslafi tells me that the car slept.

The second thing the car does is lose charge when parked between drives. Yesterday, I drove home from work for 22 miles. Parked the car with 67% charge. Came out to drive 3 hours later and the charge dropped to 63%.

Is that normal? Should I be concerned about this? Please see the picture of you want to clarify what I typing.

Attachments

• 3C3B08E7-05CA-44CE-A7E3-5EB39916F5BC.jpeg
    3C3B08E7-05CA-44CE-A7E3-5EB39916F5BC.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 89E7CDA1-CDC7-45B4-939B-76E226B799BD.jpeg
    89E7CDA1-CDC7-45B4-939B-76E226B799BD.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 3F392347-A13C-459D-BE54-9E14130A6432.jpeg
    3F392347-A13C-459D-BE54-9E14130A6432.jpeg
    552.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
"vehicle standby" is causing your loss, according to what the car is telling you. Do you still run multiple apps that poll the car? if so, start with changing your password and not using any of them, and seeing if "vehicle standby" goes down.

I have Stats on the iPhone and on my Apple Watch. Recently, I also signed up for Teslafi. I noticed that my car keeps waking up and doesn’t have long sleep periods. The idle time was sometimes higher than the sleep time. I had vampire drain of between 5-10 miles per day. Roughly 1-2 kwh. I did some research on it and found two sources saying to remove the app from the watch. One source is a Tesla tech.

So I did. The vampire drain is almost gone. I currently recorded of 19 hours sleep for the car. I work from home and I do not have a home charger, so the vampire drain was hurting my range and make me charge more often than I would like to do.

"vehicle standby" is causing your loss, according to what the car is telling you. Do you still run multiple apps that poll the car? if so, start with changing your password and not using any of them, and seeing if "vehicle standby" goes down.
I only run TeslaFi and Stats. I hardly use the latter. TeslaFi tells me that the car is sleeping. Is it easy to disable the link between the car and the apps? Will simply changing my Tesla password remove app access?

Hi all, my 20 M3P is losing 23 miles of range between charges. I charge once a week at work and I do not have a plug at home to use. I live in an apartment. I have turned sentry mode off, cabin overheat off and I hardly ever check the app so as to let the car sleep. I know the car is going to sleep because Teslafi tells me that the car slept.

The second thing the car does is lose charge when parked between drives. Yesterday, I drove home from work for 22 miles. Parked the car with 67% charge. Came out to drive 3 hours later and the charge dropped to 63%.

Is that normal? Should I be concerned about this? Please see the picture of you want to clarify what I typing.
Check to see if Smart Summon Standy is on .. this (like Sentry Mode) will stop the car going to sleep when parked.

I only run TeslaFi and Stats. I hardly use the latter. TeslaFi tells me that the car is sleeping. Is it easy to disable the link between the car and the apps? Will simply changing my Tesla password remove app access?

This translates to "I use two separate apps that can poll my car" in addition to the tesla app. Change your password AND DO NOT log back into either one of those apps for at least 48 hours and see if the vehicle standby stops. Then you can log into one of them, repeat, then the other.

Definitely change your password. Logging out does not work with Stats.

But even after doing this I would not necessarily expect resolution.

These are large changes in short time period. There are a couple of other threads looking at this and strongly indicate it is BMS adjustments.

Note that large positive adjustments are not included in the park tabulation (they do happen), though you should still be able to make them out on the driving screen.

It is not uncommon to gain 10 miles just sitting.

I had the same thing happen. I sent a question to throw Tesla service and got a PDF back showing my last 24 hours of driving and my 2 hours of parking where I lost 4.6%.

The data said I lost .3kwh and 1.2miles during that parking period, to include app usage. I know I didn't use the app as I was outside cell service range.

It also said I was driving over 65mph for 74.2% of the time over the last 24 hours, which is impossible. Where I live the speed limit is 50mph and I set the cruise no faster than 61mph.

So thanks to Tesla for reaching out quickly, I do appreciate it. But the data is a little wacky.

I will say when I left and drive into town, the battery seemed to hold 50% or so for a few miles and mostly uphill. So there is some credence to the thought that the BMS is doing something.

I want to update this thread. I didn't agree with any of the suggestions given about the apps because I KNOW that the car was going to sleep and I KNOW that TeslaFi doesn't wake up the car when you look at the car on their website. I do KNOW that Stats does wake up the car and that is why I do not use it and I logged off from the App.

I made an appointment on the Tesla app about the battery and apparently a diagnostic is done when you select "battery range." The battery was fine. I then asked to get a call back from Tesla. I was called the next day. The person I talked to told me what the issue was. I do wait for a long time to update to the recent software. When that happens, the system keeps presenting the update to you when you park and it take longer for the car to sleep. So, I immediately updated to the latest software.

After a week of driving, I am happy to report that the drain went down from 23 miles per 80% charge to 7.7 miles per 80% charge. And it was damn cold in CA during this past week.

So if you have an update waiting to be installed, do it ASAP, otherwise the car will not sleep as quickly as it should and that drains the battery.

You may want to look at the other thread.

I suspect you’ll see inconsistent results depending on whether your BMS decided to increase or decrease your estimates during a given discharge cycle.

20+ miles is likely still in play. On other occasions for the same vehicle and use scenario it may be zero or close to it.

Seems largely random (though of course it is not).

I agree it has little to do with the car not sleeping. All of this usually occurs when the car is sleeping reliably.

I want to update this thread. I didn't agree with any of the suggestions given about the apps because I KNOW that the car was going to sleep and I KNOW that TeslaFi doesn't wake up the car when you look at the car on their website. I do KNOW that Stats does wake up the car and that is why I do not use it and I logged off from the App.

I made an appointment on the Tesla app about the battery and apparently a diagnostic is done when you select "battery range." The battery was fine. I then asked to get a call back from Tesla. I was called the next day. The person I talked to told me what the issue was. I do wait for a long time to update to the recent software. When that happens, the system keeps presenting the update to you when you park and it take longer for the car to sleep. So, I immediately updated to the latest software.

After a week of driving, I am happy to report that the drain went down from 23 miles per 80% charge to 7.7 miles per 80% charge. And it was damn cold in CA during this past week.

So if you have an update waiting to be installed, do it ASAP, otherwise the car will not sleep as quickly as it should and that drains the battery.
Glad it worked out for you.
I will say that sometimes these cars just want to be left alone. I had a few Tesla Apps when I got my first M3 in 2019. The phantom drain was absurd. I deleted all of them and surprisingly didn't miss them at all. After you get used to these cars you'll find out that they're just.....cars! New ownership is exciting though! Now I never think about the fact that I own an EV. I leave the car alone and she is good to me. Phantom drain doesn't happen lol

You may want to look at the other thread.

I suspect you’ll see inconsistent results depending on whether your BMS decided to increase or decrease your estimates during a given discharge cycle.

20+ miles is likely still in play. On other occasions for the same vehicle and use scenario it may be zero or close to it.

Seems largely random (though of course it is not).

I agree it has little to do with the car not sleeping. All of this usually occurs when the car is sleeping reliably.

I have to agree about the randomness and maybe inaccuracy. Today, for example, I drove for 22 minutes to Dr office. I stayed there less than an hour. When I got back to the car, it lost 4% points not for "stand by" but for the screen staying on. Now, I know that the screen was NOT on for that long, because I was not in the car, the door was closed and the car was locked. Yet the car told me that it lost 4% for screen usage. WTF is going on here!!!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have to agree about the randomness and maybe inaccuracy. Today, for example, I drove for 22 minutes to Dr office. I stayed there less than an hour. When I got back to the car, it lost 4% points not for "stand by" but for the screen staying on. Now, I know that the screen was NOT on for that long, because I was not in the car, the door was closed and the car was locked. Yet the car told me that it lost 4% for screen usage. WTF is going on here!!!
Yes, it is just misallocating the BMS adjustment as illustrated in the other thread. Usually it goes in the last category, but sometimes it says it is Sentry (and apparently Screen in some other cases). It probably is hard to predict what bucket it will decide to misallocate the (fake but also real) usage to.

Note it does not give you credit for increases in your rated miles, in the logging.

So the overall values reported will always be “consumed” values, and it will never say you have “generated” rated miles since the last charge (which frequently happens, though less frequently than net consumption, due to normal idle & sleep current drain).

Last edited:
Reactions: nj1266