Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something has to be wrong, correct?
No, probably not.

You didnt give us enough information to say definitively, but exactly Zero of the claims of "I lost too much charge overnight" turn out to be something actually wrong with the battery.

Its usually related to the car not sleeping for some reason. What that reason is can vary, but there is very little chance there is something actually wrong with your car, and there is even less chance that any service appointment you put in will yield anything other than either a canceled appointment, or a "its working as specified, wait till you get the new update that details energy usage and check then".

No, probably not.

You didnt give us enough information to say definitively, but exactly Zero of the claims of "I lost too much charge overnight" turn out to be something actually wrong with the battery.

Its usually related to the car not sleeping for some reason. What that reason is can vary, but there is very little chance there is something actually wrong with your car, and there is even less chance that any service appointment you put in will yield anything other than either a canceled appointment, or a "its working as specified, wait till you get the new update that details energy usage and check then".
It only started doing this two weeks ago.

You're not saying at what percentage you arrived after that 17 mile drive. Turning off the app on your mobile phone doesn't solve much anyway. Give more details and we'll help understand what happened. As jjrandorin says, it's never a battery problem, there's an explanation. There might be problems but often there are none.
after 17 mile drive it was at 71

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Can you tell us at what time you parked at 71%, and at what time the next day you observed 60%? Also, did you precondition this morning?

If sentry or anything else kept the car awake, it consumes 200-250w constantly. That means that in 24h you might consume 5-6kWh which represents what, 7-8%? IF you precondition in the morning, depending on outside temperature, it might take a couple percent...

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So normal to lose about 10 percent overnight? Never happened since I've owned the car.
When it doesnt sleep, yes. There have been reports of people having some firmware update not honoring "sentry off at home" settings. That still would not be something that a service appointment would be able to do anything about.

You are combining two completely separate things, postulating them as one, and saying "def a problem, right?"

You started at 80% and drove somewhere. How much that used or did not use has no relation whatsoever on what your car used overnight. Its entirely possible for your 17 mile drive to use almost 30 miles of range from the vehicle, and no amount of "my car used more than rated range" is ever a problem with the car that can be addressed by Tesla.

So the driving part is not relevant, the part thats relevant is from park to wake up so from your reported 71% to 60%. If the car didnt sleep, and you thought sentry mode was off but it wasnt due to a glitch or something, yeah.

Your first post said "Finally put in a service appointment" which implies that this is an ongoing issue, but you also say you turned off sentry "last night" which implies it was on before that.

In any case, as I mentioned, There is no amount of "My car lost XX overnight" that a service appointment with tesla is going to address, unless your car is not sleeping at all because of a faulty 12v or something. Perhaps thats possible, but combining the "I drove XX distance" part, if you do that with tesla, will ensure (100%) that they will completely ignore your service request and tell you some variation of "we remotely checked your battery and its fine".

Last edited:
Can you tell us at what time you parked at 71%, and at what time the next day you observed 60%? Also, did you precondition this morning?

If sentry or anything else kept the car awake, it consumes 200-250w constantly. That means that in 24h you might consume 5-6kWh which represents what, 7-8%? IF you precondition in the morning, depending on outside temperature, it might take a couple percent...
We parked in our garage around 4pm. I checked the app at 5am. Like I said, nothing is running. No sentra, no climate, did not precondition etc.

Ok, so just 12h. Sentry alone couldn't explain all of that. You said it was off but if you turned it off from the mobile app, it might have been on still. That might have explained 3-5%.

No conditioning in the morning, good.

The other aspect is that it's getting cold outside. Teslas use two (or more) separate SOC values. Here's what TeslaFi says for my car this morning:
1666625289524.png

My current soc is 54, my target for charging is 56. However look at the blue 53 with the snowflake. In the car, it is 53% that would be displayed, and probably in the mobile app as well. My battery still contains 54% of its capacity in energy but the car estimates that at its current (cold-ish) temperature, the battery will only give me back 53%. It was 10C last night and it's currently 14C outside, really not that cold. It's possible that your battery got cold last night.
Sometimes the car will show the blue snowflake and the battery "drawing" that shows SOC might have a blue section, but not always when it'S not cold enough.

Ok, so just 12h. Sentry alone couldn't explain all of that. You said it was off but if you turned it off from the mobile app, it might have been on still. That might have explained 3-5%.

No conditioning in the morning, good.

The other aspect is that it's getting cold outside. Teslas use two (or more) separate SOC values. Here's what TeslaFi says for my car this morning:
View attachment 867020
My current soc is 54, my target for charging is 56. However look at the blue 53 with the snowflake. In the car, it is 53% that would be displayed, and probably in the mobile app as well. My battery still contains 54% of its capacity in energy but the car estimates that at its current (cold-ish) temperature, the battery will only give me back 53%. It was 10C last night and it's currently 14C outside, really not that cold. It's possible that your battery got cold last night.
Sometimes the car will show the blue snowflake and the battery "drawing" that shows SOC might have a blue section, but not always when it'S not cold enough.
Understand. I'm In California, so not that cold. I appreciate all the responses and I'm certainly not trying to argue with anyone. It's just that my car has never done this before.

Ok... I saw Manhattan in your profile and thought you were around New York... sorry :) I'll let @jjrandorin say whether he's affected by temperature then, he's also in California.
Its not that cold outside right now in So. Cali. Where I live, probably mid to high 50s, probably the same or slightly colder in Marina Del Ray, but not enough to trigger anything related to battery heating or anything.

I checked the app at 5am.

Did the app respond instantly? If so, that indicates the car was (probably) not sleeping consistently (and definitely not sleeping at that exact moment). That's a problem.

Another possibility is BMS re-estimation which can drop you a couple % (not 5%) after parking and sleeping. But I think only happens if the car sleeps (not sure).

Anyway, if you didn't hear the contactors close when you got to the car, etc., that suggests the car is not sleeping and that is going to be a contributor. Just make sure to change your password and disconnect any apps.

There are various possibilities. Pay close attention next time and see whether the car is sleeping (you can often hear it when it's not sleeping).

Doing a service appointment immediately after the first time something like this happens (I guess you said it started two weeks ago - but no details on those incidents) makes no sense. How do you know this is repeatable?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
Ok so I just got off the phone with Tesla. Two things....yes, it was sentry mode..BUT, I was told you CANNOT turn Sentry mode off on your phone/app. Only from in the car. This is interesting because if you go to security and drivers on the app and turn off 'view live camera' you are prompted to turn off Sentry mode. A little confusing but thats what they said.