Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing control and crashing a 3. How's it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just witnessed a weird thing. A model 3 came to an intersection and did a sort of donut regained control and then crashed into the sidewalk curb. With all the traction control tech i thought doing a donut or drifting out even skidding and losing control at low speed on a residential street would be all but impossible. I couldn't tell if the guy was massively failing to impress with his donut skills or if it was even a display of so called unintended acceleration. Driver was lucky he didn't surely injure anyone or damage anything but his own car. Smashed up his front bumper and vents which i imagine won't be cheap.

dry road, warm and sunny, quiet residential area although with an unusually large intersection, lots of cars around. It was just really weird. The driver didn't even "look like an a$$hat" purely going on my utterly subjective and completely prejudiced view. I just couldn't understand what was happening and why. I would think (and maybe I am just naive) that doing donuts in a model3 (non performance) is not as easy or simple as in your standard BMW/charger/mustang hoon machine. All those nanny computers trying to keep you from doing dumb things.

You have no idea if they installed something to defeat those nannies though, like a MPP partybox or something. Asking "how could someone lose control" when we dont have any information at all about the car, etc is just guessing at the status of the car.

No matter what they looked like (profile) to you, if they were "trying" to do donuts, it was because they felt they could, so might have had something in the car to facilitate that.

You have no idea if they installed something to defeat those nannies though, like a MPP partybox or something. Asking "how could someone lose control" when we dont have any information at all about the car, etc is just guessing at the status of the car.

No matter what they looked like (profile) to you, if they were "trying" to do donuts, it was because they felt they could, so might have had something in the car to facilitate that.
Or if they disconnected a wheel speed sensor to disable traction control and have some fun, which also disables power steering and ABS and makes it more likely that they will crash.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just witnessed a weird thing. A model 3 came to an intersection and did a sort of donut regained control and then crashed into the sidewalk curb. With all the traction control tech i thought doing a donut or drifting out even skidding and losing control at low speed on a residential street would be all but impossible. I couldn't tell if the guy was massively failing to impress with his donut skills or if it was even a display of so called unintended acceleration. Driver was lucky he didn't surely injure anyone or damage anything but his own car. Smashed up his front bumper and vents which i imagine won't be cheap.
I’ve not had this problem in the last 52 years of driving. Could it be the moron factor?😜🤣🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Scelto
Track mode on the performance model lets you turn down traction control enough to drift.
Yes, and if the car was a stealth Performance, you wouldn't be able to tell that it was a Performance by looking at it. But it would still have the Track Mode setting. And there's a reason why Tesla warns you to only use Track Mode at a track that you are familiar with and not on the street.

What kind of tire it is running? I know some people only put Michelin PS4S on their cars, yet that is a summer tire. Summer tire on snow/ice with full throttle could be dangerous. Worsen when it is RWD.

What kind of tire it is running? I know some people only put Michelin PS4S on their cars, yet that is a summer tire. Summer tire on snow/ice with full throttle could be dangerous. Worsen when it is RWD.

There is no "snow / ice" on the road in the OPs location of Los Angeles. We routinely run summer tires year round out here. Im not saying it couldnt be tires, I am saying its not because they are summer tires.

Reactions: sgong6
I'm curious, without any defeating HW/SW tricks....stock config, how possible is what @angelman witnessed possible in your opinion?
The simplest answer to that is Track Mode, which is not a "defeating" software trick, but a feature of a Performance model. It allows drifting and configurable stability and other settings. Whether the driver can handle it safely or not will vary depending on the driver.