Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing enthusiasm for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The repair cost to keep a Tesla on the road will make it very hard to drive your Tesla for 15 years. Tesla is trying to keep parts and repairs to themselves. Then there is the battery pack that will not last 15 years.
What parts would I have to buy?

What are the "old technology" Model S owners buying?

Don't let your ICE repair frequencies set the standard for you Tesla. Teslas have fewer parts by the thousands.

I disagree with the analogies comparing a Tesla to a portable electronic device. It still has the same utility as an ICE, which is the competition that others say can be kept for years. That utility doesn't go away just because a new feature is released on another car.

Phones and smart watches are different. Their functionality stays the same if you don't upgrade, and they stay just as responsive. However, the need for new utility becomes greater with more processor intensive web design and other apps that are outside of the control of the device. Upgrading those devices is often due to new features that one desires, the relatively low cost of upgrading, and other external inputs causing issues like new codecs for audio, etc. I just don't see that with cars at this point.

My S will be 4 years old on March 25th of this year. I planned to replace it with a 3, mostly because I wanted a smaller car, but have decided to keep it. It's an awesome car, low maintenance, low cost of operation (outside of depreciation), and it's reliable. I've lost about 3% of my battery capacity in 4 years. I think I'll be good for another 4-6 years.

I wonder how many people had this happen:

Family: "Hey I noticed you still have $50K in the savings account... Wasn't that for that new car you were going to get last year? Since you aren't getting the car, we want to use it for something else now..."

Response: "Any day now, really. Those 2 other delays were (crossing fingers) the only delays, now the schedule is real."

Family: "Obviously their schedules don't mean anything."

These repeated delays cause crisis of credibility, and difficult financial decisions.

Tesla Model S Hits 300,000 Miles with less than $11,000 maintenance costs

People without issue's don't complain nor write blog posts..
Very true. That said, I believe the Model S that racked up those 300K miles also went through multiple drive units (under warranty, even though the user was a commercial operation, which is not supposed to happen). So not exactly 300,000 trouble free miles. But yes, 300,000 complaint-free miles. Though if you are a commercial operator receiving warranty benefits as a "courtesy", you just might keep your complaints to yourself.
Robin

...My S will be 4 years old on March 25th of this year. I planned to replace it with a 3, mostly because I wanted a smaller car, but have decided to keep it. It's an awesome car, low maintenance, low cost of operation (outside of depreciation), and it's reliable. I've lost about 3% of my battery capacity in 4 years. I think I'll be good for another 4-6 years.
I don't know what to think about maintenance. Unlike your car, my four year old S has had quite a bit of warranty service and I am less than 12k miles from the end of the warranty. My battery is down about 10%, which is a big deal when it is a 60 and mostly used for long road trips — it takes a long time to Supercharge to 93-97% on longer trip legs, although they are relatively few.

In the two years I've had the car:
• one door handle replaced (I seem to be lucky it has only been one)
• drive unit replaced due to noise (got the Q rebuild, so likely won't need another)
• right front knuckle joint replaced (they noticed it when doing the DU service but didn't have the parts on hand)
• MCU replaced (got the newer LTE version as an upgrade, which was nice)
• "12V battery needs service" message just went on yesterday (a Ranger is supposed to contact me)

The only one of those that made the car difficult to drive was the MCU failure — it crippled charging — so the car has been quite reliable. Despite all the repairs the car is solid, quiet, fun to drive, makes for a good camping car, and my inclination is to keep it versus trading it in for another CPO and a fresh warranty at a large additional cost, but it is a gamble. I like the S MUCH better than what I know of the 3, so I am tempted to stick with the S. My hope is that the things that have been fixed won't likely need to be replaced again anytime soon. I do expect to need another door handle or 12V battery eventually, but those are fairly minor.

Nevertheless, considering the very high cost of routine service and the high cost of repairs, I am skeptical when people say that EVs require very little service or maintenance and will last for decades. That may be true of other EVs but it hasn't really been true of Teslas for some of us — are you lucky or am I unlucky? Even if one wanted a new battery, for example, would one be available in ten or fifteen years for such an old car? Perhaps so, for the much more numerous Model 3, but even that remains to be seen.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and dm33
I don't know what to think about maintenance. Unlike your car, my four year old S has had quite a bit of warranty service and I am less than 12k miles from the end of the warranty. My battery is down about 10%, which is a big deal when it is a 60 and mostly used for long road trips — it takes a long time to Supercharge to 93-97% on longer trip legs, although they are relatively few.

In the two years I've had the car:
• one door handle replaced (I seem to be lucky it has only been one)
• drive unit replaced due to noise (got the Q rebuild, so likely won't need another)
• right front knuckle joint replaced (they noticed it when doing the DU service but didn't have the parts on hand)
• MCU replaced (got the newer LTE version as an upgrade, which was nice)
• "12V battery needs service" message just went on yesterday (a Ranger is supposed to contact me)

The only one of those that made the car difficult to drive was the MCU failure — it crippled charging — so the car has been quite reliable. Despite all the repairs the car is solid, quiet, fun to drive, makes for a good camping car, and my inclination is to keep it versus trading it in for another CPO and a fresh warranty at a large additional cost, but it is a gamble. I like the S MUCH better than what I know of the 3, so I am tempted to stick with the S. My hope is that the things that have been fixed won't likely need to be replaced again anytime soon. I do expect to need another door handle or 12V battery eventually, but those are fairly minor.

Nevertheless, considering the very high cost of routine service and the high cost of repairs, I am skeptical when people say that EVs require very little service or maintenance and will last for decades. That may be true of other EVs but it hasn't really been true of Teslas for some of us — are you lucky or am I unlucky? Even if one wanted a new battery, for example, would one be available in ten or fifteen years for such an old car? Perhaps so, for the much more numerous Model 3, but even that remains to be seen.
My guess, based on everything I've read, is that you're more unlucky than I am lucky. However, I think average is somewhere between the two of us and closer to me. I have the 85 battery, so Supercharging and battery health are both excellent. Something could die, no question. I probably should have taken it in for a look over before the 4 year anniversary, but honestly everything's just fine at this point.

I'll also note that you and I have relatively early vehicles, so in theory newer ones should be less maintenance prone. The 3 is not showing us that this has translated across models (yet), but I would imagine a newer Model S might be more likely to last.

Definitely not true for i3's either. Repairs are very expensive and a minor accident will total the vehicle. Drivetrain problems are common. Tires pop like birthday balloons and the windshield breaks very easily.

I've read a lot about the gen1 volts being very reliable, but gen2 has more problems apparently.

But yeah the whole "EVs don't require as many repairs" thing is a fallacy thus far. On tesla's part its often the extra techno toys that are the problem. If they didn't include all the silly toys like popout door handles and gullwing doors, maybe EVs WOULD prove to be more reliable.

I've read a lot about the gen1 volts being very reliable, but gen2 has more problems apparently...
We have one of the first G2 Volts in the country, and it has a sibling. Both have been more reliable than the G1 which is impressive since it's problems amounted to a cabin heater computer malfunction and 2 flat tires. The G2's have had nothing.

The most common problem is with iPhones. Chevrolet wrote the code to Apple's interface manual, but Apple isn't exactly hip-slick-and-cool when it comes to software. We reboot iPhones. We don't reboot Volts.

There is also a long (uncertain) lag time ordering personalized black plates in California, and you are expected to assign them to a car when the DMV gets them.

I waited to order mine out of concern that the plates could arrive before I get my Model 3 and cause an issue with the plates needing to be canceled.

But I finally went ahead and ordered them in the strong hope that I get the Model 3 before the DMV gets my plates.
(The longer I waited the more chance that someone else might take that plate wording. )

So, this goes along with Avatar being an hourglass now... I have personalized plates on order that will expire if I don't have the car for them.
And my cash pile is being eyed for other uses now, and it is becoming a problem keeping the other interests at bay.

Along with all this, I have a stash of stuff waiting for the car now... A special mount for the phone, rear USB cable sets, Aero wheel lug cap set, etc.
Oh, and the Tesla UMC2 with plug holder just sitting there waiting for something to charge...

I wonder how many people had this happen:

Family: "Hey I noticed you still have $50K in the savings account... Wasn't that for that new car you were going to get last year? Since you aren't getting the car, we want to use it for something else now..."

Response: "Any day now, really. Those 2 other delays were (crossing fingers) the only delays, now the schedule is real."

Family: "Obviously their schedules don't mean anything."

These repeated delays cause crisis of credibility, and difficult financial decisions.
hahaha, yep, *waves hand*, right here.

What parts would I have to buy?

What are the "old technology" Model S owners buying?

Don't let your ICE repair frequencies set the standard for you Tesla. Teslas have fewer parts by the thousands.

There are far fewer parts but the cost to repair the ones that do fail are very costly. Maybe a secondary market will develop to do repairs but replacing a drive motor or battery will cost as much as a model 3 is worth after 100.000 miles or 8 years having Tesla do it. Even small repairs like window motors are not $50.00 items like many ICE cars. I can see them being like I phones. Great as long as they work but once they break it's time to replace.

I know I'm probably going to get plenty of blowback on this post, but I don't really care. I admit that I was very excited and passionate when I originally put in my deposit online night of the reveal in 2016. That was now nearly two years ago. Since then, GM has brought a full-fledged long-range EV to market, and seems to have no shortage of them available. Yes, I know comparing the Bolt and Model 3 is an apples and oranges comparison. I get it.

Secondly, we're nowhere near the $35,000 real-world price that was promised, and it looks like it's going to be a long time until that's the case.

Thirdly, the Model 3 will soon no longer be the only game in town in terms of a reasonably affordable long-range (200+ mile) EV. It ceased to be that when the Bolt came out. At this point, I'm not asking for a refund, but I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do when I finally do get my configuration invite. At this point, I'm not in critical need of a third vehicle in the household. I sold one of my other ICE cars in anticipation of the Model 3, in retrospect, somewhat naïvely thinking I would get it "any day now."

Now, I see announcements of the Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro EV. Both of those would fit my needs fine, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing that the somewhat awkward-looking Bolt. However, even my initial revulsion to the Bolt's styling has subdued somewhat. I no longer "hate" it. I still think it's awkward-looking, but I'm to the point where I'd consider it as a daily driver, regardless of styling.

I know none of the vehicles I've mentioned have that status or performance of the Model 3. But I'm to the point where I no longer care about having the "newest, shiniest" thing on the road. If I wanted that, I should have stood in line first day, which I didn't. But considering all of the quality issues I've heard about on the early-run models, I'm not sure I would have wanted one. I'm going to give it until mid-summer 2018 to see if I get my invite. If August '18 comes and goes and still no invite, at that point, I think I'm probably going to ask for my money back.

I'm still a believer in Tesla's mission and what Elon is doing advancing technology in multiple industries. However, I think his showmanship gets him in trouble sometimes in terms of over-promising and under-delivering. I wish he'd be a little more realistic in the timeline goals he announces.

You need to drive one to understand why its worth the wait. I got mine in Jan and I can tell you no car in the price range comes even closer to M3

We got our Model 3 last month - it is a nice car (although $51,000 for a rear wheel drive only car is not what I expected when I signed up in March 2016). Quality control is also a concern, as we had two issues already - Tesla takes care of them, but still can be a pain...

I canceled mine when the pushed me to mid 2019. For a handful of reasons.
1 I was ‘fine’ with the above $35k price point, i know I’d spend more. It wasn’t until i did the full math of the near $60k out the door LR car that i took a step back

2 ok fine I’ll still get the fed rebate and I’d get to pick my color.. and that’s about it.

3 ok I don’t really need AP, or wheels, still kept my LR config

4 about Oct 2017 I figure ok, I’ll go 200 mile battery as the 75 mile battery i have now does just fine. Delivery still est. q1 2018 I can live with this

5 then, we’ll how about mid 2019 because I choose 200

Now I’m not thrilled. I put my money down day 2, I had even forgotten about the car most of the time. I have a EV that does my daily duty already that doesn’t need to be replaced so this was just going to be a nice upgrade. However losing the fed rebate (which i would have fully received) or knocking it down to $1k puts a damper on things. Competition would have released a couple other cars by the time I’d actually take delivery of my 3. Competition that I could test drive before buying.

The way I figure it I could buy a car someone else took the tax rebate on and realized they didn’t actually want, with a chunk of depreciation taken out as well, in about the same time line. This time next year I expect to see LR models being sold for about $40-$45 ‘used’ it the model S used prices to drop significantly as 3 MS owners i know have 3’s now and no desire to keep their S’s.

2 years ago I was stoked, last year I was meh, this year I could care less, next year I’ll grab whatever i fancy. The instant gratification world we live in kinda sucks lol.

Recently sat in a Model 3 and proply asked for my $1K back... not worth the $50K+ asking price for me.

Attachments

• 4350082A-E29A-4005-BB42-33849B0C85C4.jpeg
    4350082A-E29A-4005-BB42-33849B0C85C4.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 80
If you have multiple cars, there's no reason to not have multiple EVs. Keep the deposit on the three and get a Bolt now. When your 3 reservation finally goes live, use it to replace one or more of your remaining gas cars. You won't need a gas car anymore.

Depending on where you are and where you want to go, the Bolt can be used for road trips. Even under the most ideal situations it is still a lot slower than a Tesla though. We have driven the same 2200 mile round trip in our Bolt and in our Model X. The Bolt took 3 days out and 3 days back. The X 2 and 2, like our old gas cars did. Once you have the Bolt and the Model 3 you'll find you have no need of a gas car.

These are our only vehicles now. Down from a high of 5 vehicles: GMC Acadia, BMW Z4, BMW K75, Nissan LEAF, and a Fiat 500e.

YRnDZAXTIejKj6Ni1

We have one of the first G2 Volts in the country, and it has a sibling. Both have been more reliable than the G1 which is impressive since it's problems amounted to a cabin heater computer malfunction and 2 flat tires. The G2's have had nothing.

The most common problem is with iPhones. Chevrolet wrote the code to Apple's interface manual, but Apple isn't exactly hip-slick-and-cool when it comes to software. We reboot iPhones. We don't reboot Volts.
Agree as much as I find the car boring, and I hate visibility (we lease the base model).. the car has been very reliable so far... to the exception of CarPlay. Damn CarPlay has been so unreliable...