Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing GSM/LTE connectivity during sleep / car cannot be woken up by the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Since some update in September, the app is unable to wake the car after the car goes to sleep overnight. When approaching and opening the car, I can see that there is no LTE/GSM connectivity shown on the MCU. However after few minutes the car connects and the app can connect to the car. This repeats after (almost) every night.

Anyone with a similar behavior or it the hardware of my car fault?

Thanks,
Jan

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
Hi,

Since some update in September, the app is unable to wake the car after the car goes to sleep overnight. When approaching and opening the car, I can see that there is no LTE/GSM connectivity shown on the MCU. However after few minutes the car connects and the app can connect to the car. This repeats after (almost) every night.

Anyone with a similar behavior or it the hardware of my car fault?

Thanks,
Jan

I actually had this same issue after receiving my car. It took several visits to the service center, but they eventually replaced the whole computer and it fixed it. When the tech finally diagnosed it correctly , I believe he found an error on the connectivity board which led to them replacing the whole computer.

• Informative
Reactions: Jan Fiala
I'm going to visit SC in two weeks. I'll report back what they said.

BTW. It seems to me like a software issue. The car actually wakes up and is accessible from the app around same time as it was a day before despite being unacessible the whole day. And few hours later its again offline. Even the app says waking up the car but it never does.

• Disagree
So Tesla cancelled my appointments without any explanation and the app/car connection was working flawless till then.

However the next morning after installing the 40.2.1 the problem came back. Again the car shuts off the gsm module during overnight sleep and cannot be woken up by the app. After entering the car the gsm comes up within a minute and again it works the while day till the next overnight sleep.

• Disagree
So Tesla cancelled my appointments without any explanation and the app/car connection was working flawless till then.

However the next morning after installing the 40.2.1 the problem came back. Again the car shuts off the gsm module during overnight sleep and cannot be woken up by the app. After entering the car the gsm comes up within a minute and again it works the while day till the next overnight sleep.

Hi,

I purchased a new Model 3 at the end of March, and now I seem to have exactly the same problem as you have described.
I have seen many people complaining about this on various forums, but there are usually some differences, like the issue is not as consistent (not almost every night), etc. Also, I have noticed that we are in the same location. Could it be the reason? Like maybe GSM networks here are configured to force clients to reconnect very often, but Tesla cannot do that in sleep?...

Anyway. Can you please tell me if you managed to fix the issue? If so, how?

Hi,

Sorry for missed thread. Actually the SC did a reflash of the modem firmware and solved the issue. Unfortunately after the next software update the issue came back and as confirmed by SC its a known bug and currently the only way is to have the modem firmware reflashed in SC after every single update. I'm not ready to accept this and will ask the SC for a permanent repair, even if that means replacing the whole MCU.

Hi,

I purchased a new Model 3 at the end of March, and now I seem to have exactly the same problem as you have described.
I have seen many people complaining about this on various forums, but there are usually some differences, like the issue is not as consistent (not almost every night), etc. Also, I have noticed that we are in the same location. Could it be the reason? Like maybe GSM networks here are configured to force clients to reconnect very often, but Tesla cannot do that in sleep?...

Anyway. Can you please tell me if you managed to fix the issue? If so, how?

Hi,

Well, the SC keeps saying it's a known issue that should be fixed in one of the upcoming updates. They stopped saying "next update", probably because it's unlikely to be true. I am not sure how to address this issue. I have no issues with how SC handles hardware (exterior etc.), but it seems that the software support is a bit lacking to say the least.
Right now at summer it's not so big of an issue, but I guess in winter I will need to precondition the car, and the way things are right now I'll have to wake the car by opening it through bluetooth first. Not very convenient...

Having the same issue. Was in for service and was told to wait for an update. The very next day I could not wake up my car at all. I would even sit in it and nothing at all. When it finally woke up my LTE was crossed out for about 45 minutes, even while driving. Tesla mobile tech is coming out to take a look in a week.

I can't say I had problems waking up the car by physically accessing it... It does that just fine. The problem was through the app only, and it seems that the reason for that was losing the cellular connectivity and not reconnecting in sleep. So when I get in it wakes up but there is no connectivity for about 5-10 minutes.

I have to say though, I have not been able to reproduce the issue last week, even when the Model 3 was sleeping for about 36 hours I was able to wake it up through the app. Maybe I was lucky because the issue is sporadic, but maybe it was finally fixed. Fingers crossed...

If anyone is still interested, it seems that my issue has finally been resolved.

It seemed like one of the updates indeed fixed it for a month or so, but after another update the problem reappeared, only a bit differently - if at first after failed attempts to wake up the car I saw no internet connection when I entered, this time there was a connection (LTE) immediately when I got in, but still no access from the app if the car is asleep.

After I reported this to the service center, and also stated that I believe that this is a key functionality of the car and a warranty case in my opinion, they decided to take a look personally. It appeared that the GSM module needed replacement entirely (the SOS button-related system also had problems), it seems, and some remote configuring by engineers from Amsterdam. The car sat in SC for a bit longer than expected (2 days instead of 1), but after I got it back, I've never seen this problem again since the beginning of January. I am happy it finally got resolved.

I guess the advice here is: don't believe when they tell you to just wait for an update, demand a component inspection/replacement instead. This should not be an issue if everything is okay with the hardware.