Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing Miles While Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I already did a post on this before but now I think it's worst. I parked my car at work today in southern California. It's about 9 am and now it's 4:23 pm. I checked my mileage and when I parked it was 219 miles left on the battery and now it is 207. It is pretty hot but I'm being told by some that in a day from heat you might lost about 5 to 10 miles Max. I'm at a 12 mile loss and the sun is out for another 2 more hours. Is this normal is LA heat or should I take it in?

It's the antonymous driving testing - the car drives around testing FSD for Tesla when nobody is in the car. You get $0.25 per mile credit towards Tesla purchases. If you don't like it, you have to un-check the "Allow the car to be used for EAP/FSD testing while unused" in settings. Did you notice sometimes when you return it's parked in a different spot?

I am kidding of course. ;) Search this forum for "vampire drain". 12 miles seems much (usually 3-6) but possible in high heat (or cold).

• Funny
Reactions: GJ79 and DOCAL
I do have cabin overheat protection on. But would it take away that many miles?
HVAC draws about 1.5KW, so 12 miles would be about 3 hrs of AC going. Then there is the usual vampire drain, 3 miles or so. Add to that the inaccuracy of estimation (I once saw my range go up 1 mile on our 75D after parking it in the sun! I guess the battery heated up crossing some threshold voltage). I wouldn't worry about that. In a cold, before pre-conditioning but parked outside in a wind, I've lost 12 miles before in 8 hrs.

For what it’s worth, I gave up on tracking range with miles a week or two after I got my S. Once I learned that I could get everywhere I needed to go and back home without any trouble I stopped worrying about the range.

Watching the range in miles was frustrating because I would never get as many miles as it was estimating. Usually a bit less sometimes a little more. I set the car to display the SOC in percent and I haven’t wanted to go back to miles since. I still see vampire drain and can lose a few percentage points as the car sits, but it’s just the way the car works and it doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: ig_epower
Is your Cabin Overheat Protection feature on? If so, your car is probably cooling itself whenever the interior gets over 105 and is the likely cause of excessive range loss while parked.
I wish you could set cabin overheat to last longer than 12 hours. I was on a trip this past weekend and got to the car after hotel checkout to find it was 124 degrees inside the car.

OP I've periodically tracked throughout the day our battery loss in miles with our Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) on. During really hot days 12+miles sounds reasonable to me from what I've seen. We've had some high 90F degree days (even a few in the mid 105-107 range) where our car has sat in the noon-afternoon-early evening sun and lost something in that range. Basically higher the temps, more mileage lost. I'd have to go back and look to know for sure what the highest range lost has been so far that I tracked. I've taken a screen capture of the car app in the a.m. to establish the current mileage range and then followed it during the day until evening with screen captures. Nice to have the first in the morning readings and then evening and then next morning for comparison. I also tried to periodically take a screen shot of my Apple watch showing the date/time/temp for reference points of outdoor temp readings. Don't really obsess over the mileage but more concerned that the COP turns on that day.

Here's stats for one day. A bit unusual day however. June 19 - 9:50am sat in car and started day at 124 mi (76F internal); 124 mi @ 2:27 (124F int)*, took 2 minutes to get down to 104F int btw and stayed under that rest of day; 113 mi @ 6:52pm (104F int). At 2:42pm the outdoor temp was 102F. Next day, June 20 - at 9:08am - 111mi (71 int). I don't consider that a full day using COP since it apparently didn't get activated for whatever reason until apx 2:30pm. The sun starts hitting our car in the driveway earlier than that. It was however a hotter than usual day, generally in the 80-90s.

*The COP had been consistently working when I sat in the car each morning until that day and when I saw the temp in the 120 range we called Tesla to see why it hadn't been activated. I want to know we can count on it. They were going to have someone look into it and get back to us. Haven't heard back yet. In the meantime I try to check in on the app during the day to see that it's working correctly and cooling it down. I didn't always track it from morning to night, kind of just wanted to see that it was active, and the drain was what it was, but if you want me to look back at a few more days I can do that.

If I'm home during the day and the car's not being driven that day, I'll sit in it in the early a.m. figuring I've got coverage until evening 12 hours later. I just wish I didn't have to drive or sit in the car to activate it and could do so by the app.

Last edited:
BTW late in the afternoon I've noticed that the interior temps hover mostly in the 103-104 range without much fluctuation. Noon-earlier afternoon when the car was getting beat on the most, there would sometimes be something like 10-degree cooling cycles which I think are more draining on the battery.

The alternative to increased vampire drain on really hot or really cold days, is having a battery that can degrade 2-5%+ a year. (Nissan Leaf, even after their battery chemistry upgrades - Post Your Battery Degradation Results - Page 65 - My Nissan Leaf Forum if you want to see the carnage, even on some of the MY2015+ Leafs)

I'd rather have the battery-protecting temperature management running over having to worry about a battery replacement after a few years any day.

Last edited:
Just another data point. Last night at 5:20pm with interior temp at 104F, car was at 185mi. Today however was much cooler and cloudy part of day and car sat out all day not driven. Started day with 182 mi at 10am. Interior temps stayed in the 103-104F range for most of the afternoon without fluctuating much. At 2pm it was only 81F outside. 7pm it was 72F outside. Checked in at 9pm and at 177mi, temp inside at 87F. 5 mile loss during the day.

Cabin overheat protection should probably be re-labeled "Pet in car". You should probably switch off overheat protection to save battery, unless you left a pet in the car?

Actually, that wouldn’t be good at all. The cabin overheat protection keeps the cabin temp under 105 degrees F (46C). While that would be better than the alternative and I suppose it might even help save a pet or a kid who was accidentally left in the car it certainly wouldn’t be healthy or comfortable for them.

I think the cabin overheat protection serves a few purposes. It can help make the interior last longer if the fabrics and leathers and plastics aren’t exposed to excessive heat as often. It can help preserve electronics and other things that are left in the car and protect them from excessive heat. It can also help cool the car down faster when you are ready to return to the car and start driving.

Reactions: SMAlset
For what it’s worth, I gave up on tracking range with miles a week or two after I got my S. Once I learned that I could get everywhere I needed to go and back home without any trouble I stopped worrying about the range.

Watching the range in miles was frustrating because I would never get as many miles as it was estimating. Usually a bit less sometimes a little more. I set the car to display the SOC in percent and I haven’t wanted to go back to miles since. I still see vampire drain and can lose a few percentage points as the car sits, but it’s just the way the car works and it doesn’t bother me.

Me too.

Also - after two years of using the car and charging to 90% nightly I've seen no appreciable range degradation.

If the battery was hot when you parked, the pumps in the cooling system might run for a bit, which could take a mile or two off and with the cabin over temp protection on, that would take more off. On a hot day parking the car for an hour can lose 4 miles of range. I was around the car for a minute after parking one time and I heard the pumps come on. I'd rather lose a couple of miles of range today and keep the battery in good condition longer.

I rarely park outside but when I do, I use a sunshade and it reduces cabin interior temps.

I've turned off all options that drain battery such as:
cabin overheat protection
continuously connected

While driving options:
HVAC set to ECO mode

I used to finish charging at work at 219 but at end of day, see 2-3 miles gone. Now that I put these options in place, I usually see 0-1 miles gone. When I get home, I have a good 4 miles or more than I used to have.