Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing my mind over the random slowdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tolerated the random slowdowns and occasional false AEB since I joined the FSD beta and Tesla stopped using my radar, but then I drove 700 miles this weekend, mostly on two-lane highways.

Oh my god. Toward the end of this trip, I started cracking. I started dreaming of installing an aftermarket cruise control kit, and actually looked them up. (For many obvious reasons, no such Tesla-compatible accessory exists.)

As far as I'm concerned, the car does not currently have usable cruise control, full stop. Certainly not with passengers. Especially after two of the piercing "civil defense alert" beeps/hard braking events for no apparent reason.

This is so unbelievably simple to fix. I understand that FSD beta and Tesla Vision are not fully baked. Fine. I understand they have no intention of re-enabling radar once it's been disabled. Fine. Just give me basic cruise control. I don't need every mile to be TACC/Autopilot. Sometimes I just want to maintain a constant speed and drive, like I have in every other car in my life.

My next insane fever dream is going to be looking for a 2018 Model 3 that just has basic cruise control, back when you could still not get TACC/Autopilot on your order.

I find TACC to be pretty good, with the exception of slowing for turning vehicles. That's not unique to Tesla - I've had that experience with basically every manufacturer that has a TACC system.

The rest of it ... hell I don't know. I gave up using AP except in very specific circumstances.

I'm a computer guy and love technology but I have yet to find an automated system that I feel I can enable and fully expect it to do what it's supposed to do without babysitting it. Even the simplest things like a dishwasher - sometimes the soap door doesn't open. Wasted time, energy, and water.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
I find TACC to be pretty good, with the exception of slowing for turning vehicles. That's not unique to Tesla - I've had that experience with basically every manufacturer that has a TACC system.

The rest of it ... hell I don't know. I gave up using AP except in very specific circumstances.

I'm a computer guy and love technology but I have yet to find an automated system that I feel I can enable and fully expect it to do what it's supposed to do without babysitting it. Even the simplest things like a dishwasher - sometimes the soap door doesn't open. Wasted time, energy, and water.
To be honest, I don’t really care anymore how Tesla’s TACC performs compared to other systems - I just want basic cruise control! Problem solved. That would be enough to bring the car up to a baseline level of functionality where I’d be happy to give Tesla many more years to make Tesla Vision perform flawlessly.

The used market for Tesla is massive right now - if you sold your Tesla you'd likely make your money back, or possibly more. Then you can purchase a car from another manufacturer that has the features you need right now. Keep an eye on these forums in the next months and years and determine the best time to jump back into a Tesla if that car still has appeal to you by then.

Reactions: ContrarianDC
The used market for Tesla is massive right now - if you sold your Tesla you'd likely make your money back, or possibly more. Then you can purchase a car from another manufacturer that has the features you need right now. Keep an eye on these forums in the next months and years and determine the best time to jump back into a Tesla if that car still has appeal to you by then.
My point is less about “I wish I could get rid of my Tesla and get into another car” and more about: wouldn’t it be nice if they’d enable basic cruise control as a way to sidestep the Vision growing pains? Considering the code already exists for this - again, look at early Model 3s as a proof point - I’m just thinking that this would turn phantom braking from a major pain into an easily bypassed annoyance.

Reactions: RSpanner
Why not just get out of FSD Beta and get your radar back? Seems less drastic than buying a different car or cruise control add-on kit. Sure, some day you’ll lose the radar anyway, but who knows when?
That’s fair, but Vision isn’t opt-out for anyone buying now… and I can’t imagine I’m the only one who would just like basic cruise for those moments when they don’t want to beta test.

Now, the counter argument is that Tesla is making money hand over fist and can’t keep up with demand, so why does any of this matter? I don’t have an answer to that, I admit.

I assume you have tried recalibrating your cameras, yet still have PB issues? As a general rule, I recalibrate cameras with every software update and PB has become a rare thing. Whether the calibration helps, or its only the software improvements, I cannot say. But, I figure it won't hurt.

Yesterday, I made a 100+ mile round trip on, mostly, 2-lane undivided highways and had no PB events.

Reactions: RoBoRaT and Dewg
My point is less about “I wish I could get rid of my Tesla and get into another car” and more about: wouldn’t it be nice if they’d enable basic cruise control as a way to sidestep the Vision growing pains? Considering the code already exists for this - again, look at early Model 3s as a proof point - I’m just thinking that this would turn phantom braking from a major pain into an easily bypassed annoyance.
A few thoughts:

1) Most manufacturers are looking to evolve the experience, and "basic cruise control" is being phased out for adaptive cruise control. It won't be long before adaptive cruise control is a standard feature. Having basic cruise may seem to be a step backwards, like push-button start vs a physical key to start the car.

2) In a Tesla, known for Autopilot, which is just adaptive cruise control and lane assist, having basic cruise control may be difficult to implement. If someone engages basic cruise control, but thinks they've enabled Autopilot, they'll slam into the first car that slows down in front of them. And vice-versa, when someone wanted basic cruise, but enabled Autopilot instead. It happens already with TACC and AP, where people think they're in AP, but it's just TACC, and the car starts drifting into another lane causing frustration.

Reactions: rjpjnk and rubyred
2) In a Tesla, known for Autopilot, which is just adaptive cruise control and lane assist, having basic cruise control may be difficult to implement. If someone engages basic cruise control, but thinks they've enabled Autopilot, they'll slam into the first car that slows down in front of them. And vice-versa, when someone wanted basic cruise, but enabled Autopilot instead. It happens already with TACC and AP, where people think they're in AP, but it's just TACC, and the car starts drifting into another lane causing frustration.
Can confirm the brain is difficult to reprogram... I've shifted into neutral before at 75 MPH because I didn't get the normal disengagement tone when I thought I was in NoA.

Fortunately you can 'shift' back into drive without stopping or double-clutching...

Reactions: Dewg
Oh my god. Toward the end of this trip, I started cracking. I started dreaming of installing an aftermarket cruise control kit, and actually looked them up. (For many obvious reasons, no such Tesla-compatible accessory exists.)

As far as I'm concerned, the car does not currently have usable cruise control, full stop. Certainly not with passengers. Especially after two of the piercing "civil defense alert" beeps/hard braking events for no apparent reason.
So I'm not clear if this was FSD beta on normal rural-type roads or a divided highway where TACC/AP is doing the driving? (That is, did you see the colored FSD beta screen display or the old gray-scale AP display?)

I assume you have tried recalibrating your cameras, yet still have PB issues? As a general rule, I recalibrate cameras with every software update and PB has become a rare thing. Whether the calibration helps, or its only the software improvements, I cannot say. But, I figure it won't hurt.

Yesterday, I made a 100+ mile round trip on, mostly, 2-lane undivided highways and had no PB events.
Interesting - will do that! I’ve only recalibrated once, when my left repeater was replaced. Worth a shot.

Reactions: drtimhill
So I'm not clear if this was FSD beta on normal rural-type roads or a divided highway where TACC/AP is doing the driving? (That is, did you see the colored FSD beta screen display or the old gray-scale AP display?)
FSD beta, although I get the sense from comments that most of the slowdown concerns are coming from Vision owners, FSD beta or otherwise. Maybe I’m off base on that, though? I remember in the early days of my 2019 Model 3, phantom braking was rough with underpasses, but that got resolved ages ago.

FSD beta, although I get the sense from comments that most of the slowdown concerns are coming from Vision owners, FSD beta or otherwise. Maybe I’m off base on that, though? I remember in the early days of my 2019 Model 3, phantom braking was rough with underpasses, but that got resolved ages ago.
Interesting .. I hope you reported those back to Tesla, as they have put a lot of (ongoing) work into reducing FB in the FSDbeta stack.

What version of software do you have?

I don't have the latest version yet, but PB is significantly better in 2022.12 for some people:

I've tolerated the random slowdowns and occasional false AEB since I joined the FSD beta and Tesla stopped using my radar, but then I drove 700 miles this weekend, mostly on two-lane highways.

This is so unbelievably simple to fix. I understand that FSD beta and Tesla Vision are not fully baked. Fine. I understand they have no intention of re-enabling radar once it's been disabled. Fine. Just give me basic cruise control. I don't need every mile to be TACC/Autopilot. Sometimes I just want to maintain a constant speed and drive, like I have in every other car in my life.

My next insane fever dream is going to be looking for a 2018 Model 3 that just has basic cruise control, back when you could still not get TACC/Autopilot on your order.
You have just described the situation that as of 2 weeks ago I have just started doing ALL the driving myself when my wife and or kids are in the car with me.

They absolutely hate being passengers when I used FSD Beta

You have just described the situation that as of 2 weeks ago I have just started doing ALL the driving myself when my wife and or kids are in the car with me.

They absolutely hate being passengers when I used FSD Beta
Same with my significant other, only use FSD when I’m alone, not already annoyed, and have patience to deal with its nonsense.