TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Losing range of 4 miles / day. What to do when Traveling out of town for a while?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tomsla, Aug 1, 2017.

1. tomsla

tomsla Member

My parking garage doesn't have a charger. Therefore, when I know I'm going out of town for a while, I charge the car in advance.

I set the cars power to off, to conserve more power.
    While out of town recently (for over 2 weeks), I checked the range remaining via the tesla app after 2 weeks, and found that it had lost 80 miles of range, while off! How is this possible, and what can I do in order to reduce this? It seems like a massive amount of battery usage for a car that is off.

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Turn power saving mode on and always connected off in your screen settings. And don't check often with your app. This way I lost 3% over 9 days when traveling and not having power connection.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. tomsla

tomsla Member

I only checked with the app once after 2 weeks, and again after 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I was down to 30 miles range (I left town with over 150 miles). So I was pretty shocked to see it was almost dead. I had to get someone to get in my place, get the keys, tell them how to drive the car to a supercharger and charge it and bring it back for me... not fun to do from out of the country.

4. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

No, it really is best if you have the option to plug it in, even in just a normal plug. But put the settings like I mentioned, and make sure you don't have any third party phone or web apps running that will keep waking up the car.

Also, if the car is parked somewhere very warm or cold, the battery management system will try to cool or heat the battery in order to protect it.
    This will of course also draw power.

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

It's good that you bring this up, because most people don't have time to check out the manual and learn it second-hand. Batteries lose power just sitting. Since they only start with a couple or so gallons of gas equivalent energy, it can get exciting.

I would either plug in the whole time, or plan to plug in when I pick up the car. As long as you know about it, you can figure something out.

As an old, old Tesla driver, the first thing I ever did was to stretch the budget and get a bigger battery. Losing 80 miles is not such a big deal with a 100D vs a 75D.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

First choice is keeping it plugged in, but it wouldn't have been as much of a problem had you charged the car before you left.

• Disagree x 2
  7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

If you have access to a 110 outlet - plug it in. Even though the charge rate is low on a 110 outlet, it should still be faster than the daily charge loss.

• Like x 1
  8. tomsla

tomsla Member

I did specifically charge it before I was gone. In the time I was gone it went from fully charged to almost 0.

I had to park in my work's concrete parking deck which has no outlets.

I was hoping for a tip on how to get it to stop consuming battery so heavily (5 miles a day) if going to shut the car down for an extended period. I thought I shut it down correctly from the screen menu but apparently fully off still drains electricity equivalent to 4 or 5 miles per day still, which is a massive amount for a car that is off.

9. JasJ

JasJ Member

I found that changing my tesla.com password then not checking in (or even updating the password in the tesla app), that my mileage loss was 2-3 miles a day. Before that I was losing up to 10 miles a day.

• Like x 1
  10. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Tesla told me there too many variables, heat is worse, I was in Phoenix, lost over 10 a day, I am in South Dakota now, losing 2 a day.

• Like x 1
  11. TexasEV

You said you left town with over 150 miles. That's not fully charged.

The loss is not "massive" because the car isn't really off. The battery is still maintaining itself and the car is in communication with the outside world. RTFM.

• Disagree x 2
  12. tomsla

tomsla Member

It was full. I was trying not to indicate how long I was out of town. Keyword = OVER 150. RTFP.

I don't talk like this, just being as polite as you started being to show you that tone is unconstructive. I don't need your 'help' which was completely useless.

• Like x 1
  13. TexasEV

Sorry, but saying your car was charged to "over 150 miles" and saying your car was fully charged is not the same.

• Disagree x 2
  14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Getting under 4 miles a day no matter what settings you have set or what else you have done is a crapshoot. Tesla could push multiple updates to the car, each one causing 7-8 miles of loss to process before prompting you to install. It's out of your control.