Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing range when parked for an hour (not a parasitic drain question) (at least I don't think)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving 200 miles or so, all highway, and then park it for an hour or two with 35 miles of range left, I come back out and I've gone from 35 miles left to 20-25 miles left in 1 - 2 hours. Happens pretty consistently. Very unnerving. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Also depends on the ambient temperatures. If cold out, you can lose 30+ miles of range in 15-30 minutes if parked and at low SOC (< 40 miles). If you're at low SOC, it's best to find a charger and get it charging without delay. The battery has less power when cold, and Tesla will heat the battery (using battery power) to regain that power. Seems contradictory, but works fine at higher SOC levels so that you never notice the issue.

Reactions: cpf01
Thank you, so I guess my next question would be, if I don't stop and keep on driving, assuming 55 mph on flat ground, would I get the 35 miles or 20 miles?

I'm only throwing my guess and opinion into the pool, so take it with a grain of salt... perhaps you're looking for a technical answer.

My opinion is that you'd get neither. You'd get somewhere near or between those numbers. I second the recommendation to switch to % instead of miles - you'll get comfortable with your range in no time.

If you were driving an ICE vehicles, that'd be a gallon or less of gas in the tank. I personally would be filling up at that point, and would be doing the same in an EV.

Your 15 lost miles in that car amount to maybe 3-5% of your battery capacity (just guessing). That's a fairly big loss from just sitting, however there are many factors that can cause it and many posts on these forums covering this topic.

Sentry mode can use about 1% per hour, and anything else that prevents the car from sleeping (Summon being enabled, third-party data collection software, etc) will also contribute to vampire drain.

Also, going from a warm battery (200 miles on the highway) to a cold battery (sitting for a few hours in 44° New York Spring time weather) will cause the meter to lower it's estimated range because the battery will be less efficient and/or use energy for heating itself.

I'd suggest first ensuring you have nothing running to contribute to drain (Sentry, Summon, etc), then switch to %. Most importantly, your battery was at like 6%... so it was time to charge it. It's less likely that you have some "runaway drain" and your battery is going to go from 100 to 0 in 2 days of sitting, and more likely that it wouldn't have gone any lower even sitting for a whole day.

Nothing to be concerned about. Just my two cents.

Reactions: cpf01