Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss in efficiency with 2019.32.12.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned in other similar threads, a 15deg drop in temp can easily mean a 10% increase in energy use. You're showing a 20% increase. Has it been raining? Because that can also increase energy use by 5 to 10%

Nope, Ken. This is without rain. Its starting to sound like I'm not the only one seeing this decrease in efficiency with the latest sw update...

This is good info. Much appreciated.

LR RWD with FSD 7500 miles stock tires.
Same route
Cabin temperature OFF
Temperatures in the mid low to mid 50Fs (~12C)

I'm not using any third party data collector. I note the efficiency after each drive and strive to keep it low. According to your chart I'm not far off what would be expected. Where did you get that chart from? Is that from your own vehicle's data? Very helpful. Thank you.

One of many. This one is web based and easy to export to excel. Its free for a trail period and then $5/mo or $50 for the year I think.

Tesla FI > Sign Up (referral nets me $5.00 credit).

Nope, Ken. This is without rain. Its starting to sound like I'm not the only one seeing this decrease in efficiency with the latest sw update...

I did an experiment today and turned off Summons Standby mode. Although this should not have an effect on efficiency I found that my efficiency increased nearly back to normal with Summons Standby OFF. I tried this because of others reporting much increased vampire drain with this mode and thought maybe just maybe it was causing drain during driving. I have to test more but so far it looks like that was a significant factor in my efficiency. My Wh/mi has improved.

I have to test more but so far it looks like that was a significant factor in my efficiency. My Wh/mi has improved.

Summon Standby will definitely have a huge impact on overall efficiency, but it will not be reflected in the trip meter Wh/mi. No usage is counted on that meter when the car is in Park, from any source.

If you're talking about how many Wh show on your screen in the car per how many of the rated miles you use on the battery gauge, sure, you'll probably see an improvement over the course of several days.

Summon Standby will definitely have a huge impact on overall efficiency, but it will not be reflected in the trip meter Wh/mi. No usage is counted on that meter when the car is in Park, from any source.

If you're talking about how many Wh show on your screen in the car per how many of the rated miles you use on the battery gauge, sure, you'll probably see an improvement over the course of several days.
My trip meter, after turning Summon Standby OFF, is showing a lower wh/mi "efficiency". This tells me that there may be a bug and the Summon Standby mode is using energy while in Drive. I'm not referring to overall efficiency I'm referring to efficiency while driving aka the wh/mi readout on the trip meter. I know that doesn't really make sense that it would use energy while in drive but I'm just reporting what I saw with one test case. It is not beyond the realm of possibilities but not very likely.

theres a facebook thread regarding this topic as well.

put me in the camp that v10 messed up efficiency. temp in NJ has been pretty high for this time of year, and during some 65-70degree driving my efficiency took a 20-30wh/mi hit as well. my normal commute i do every day is all worse than before v10, i thought it was lowering my car at the same time as v10 but i should be getting better not worse from lowering

Although I completely disagree about temps in NJ (in my opinion it’s been a rather quick fall in regards to temps- much more consistently cool temps 38-48 at night for starters), I totally agree that after v10 my efficiency took a noticeable hit that I don’t think was fully weather related. I was easily 30-40 higher. I always check when driving. Now since 12.2 my efficiency has recovered and I only see 20wh/mile gains when using heat or seat warmers. I’m super happy that they fixed whatever tweaks were affecting some of our efficiency (most people denied this was happening).