Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of Cellular Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to park underground in a Condo garage where there is no cellular or wi-fi coverage. For the past three years and two Model S cars I have had no problems. Whenever I drove out of the garage the Tesla reacquired internet through cellular automatically and fast. Two updates ago it appears that the Tesla engineers broke it. Now every time I leave the garage the car has no internet and stays that way until I park and turn off the car for an hour or so outside. Besides entertainment many other functions of the Tesla will not work without internet. I've tried every possible way of getting the car to search of cellular, but once off it now stays that way - apparently the Tesla software goes into a battery saver mode and never comes out to reconnect. My only recourse is to reboot the car. This works most of the time, not always. I end up having to do this every morning. I notified Tesla service and they told me it was a firmware problem that the Tesla would have to fix, but they were busy (putting useless games in the car I assume) so it would take time for an update to fix it. I'm a patient guy, but after several months of either having limited functionality or having to reboot the car, I'm finally at my wits end. Tesla doesn't seem to give a darn. Have others here encountered this problem or have a solution?

Reactions: CaryRx
I have to park underground in a Condo garage where there is no cellular or wi-fi coverage. For the past three years and two Model S cars I have had no problems. ... Two updates ago it appears that the Tesla engineers broke it.... - apparently the Tesla software goes into a battery saver mode and never comes out to reconnect. My only recourse is to reboot the car. ... but they were busy (putting useless games in the car I assume) ... Have others here encountered this problem or have a solution?

I park in a garage at work that has really awful cell reception. I've had a similar problem where the car can't get cell connection and goes into a shut down mode. A couple times it left me really stressed trying to reboot the car. I finally started parking up on top of the building where I can get cellular reception - which I know is not an option for you - but I also found that if *I* used the "POWER OFF" option in the safety menu tab that the car will go to sleep as commanded and will wake right up and find a (crappy) cell signal almost right away when I get in and press the brake pedal. I suppose you could try that and see if that works for you.

I agree that it's dismaying to see ridiculous crap like a fireplace app with stupid makeout music or a scratchpad being updated constantly on software pushes when there's real, important, functional stuff that is not working correctly or at all.