Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of energy when parked for days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One year ago I parked my 2018 P100D outside for 5 days at a mountain retreat. During that time outdoor temps ranged from 20 to 50F. IIRC, my car lost about 25 miles during that time. I have just returned from a 5 day retreat at a similar location with similar temperature range as last year. This time my vehicle lost 85 miles. In both cases, before I left the vehicle I turned off "always connected" and turned on "energy savings". Any ideas why this time was so different ? Luckily there was a super charger in-between the location and my home.

Did you shut down the Tesla Apps on your devices as well as any thing that polls your car (Teslafi, etc.). Anything that polls the car th check status will result in greater power loss when the car is parked for extended periods of time. My car spends a lot of time (up to 3 weeks) parked -- often in a parking garage at Dulles Airport in Virginia -- the largest power loss I see on a three week trip is typically about 25-30 miles. If I saw more than a 10-15 mile loss in 5 days, I'd be checking my settings and finding what was doing the polling. My most frequent violater is the app on my ipad. I remember to shut it down on the phone but not the ipad and then see the increased loss of energy while car is parked when I land. Then I check the ipad when i get home and discover I left the app running and have a Homer Simpson moment.

Thanks all-- I don't have Teslafi and was 20 miles away from the nearest cellular signal, far away from wifi, my only device was my phone which was turned off and I don't have sentry mode on. The average winds over the week may very well have been significantly higher, but wouldn't energy savings keep the battery heater from turning on ? If not, whats the point of energy saving ?

How deep does the vehicle "turn off" ? Are there different levels of "off-ness " ?

yes there are multiple levels of "off-ness". There is:
  • Standby
  • Off
  • Sleep
  • Deep-sleep
Unless the car is configured correctly, it never hits sleep or deep-sleep. My car currently hits sleep for about 2 hours a night sitting in my garage (daily driving). When parked when I'm away on travel, it will hit sleep for extended periods of time. Deep sleep happens less often and waking the car up from that has always taken walking up to the car and clicking the keyfob (app unable to wake it up despite being turned on when I landed and getting to immigration, baggage claim, customs and then going to the car). Of course only one of the systems like TeslaFi or TeslaMate can show you those patterns. For comparison, here is my car over the last two days...

Clipboard01.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
If you had a few of the common issues already off(always connected, and smart summon, and Sentry)
Then the car would sleep just fine with very minimal loss.
One thing many people forget in a comparison like your doing to last years trip, is the 12v battery is a little older and may be not as strong. The car sleeps less because it will keep waking to charge the 12v more often.
I am willing to bet the car is just waking to charge it more often (especially in colder climate) than it did in the past. Its unfortunate we don’t have any way to monitor the health of our 12v regularly.

If you had a few of the common issues already off(always connected, and smart summon, and Sentry)
One thing many people forget in a comparison like your doing to last years trip, is the 12v battery is a little older and may be not as strong. The car sleeps less because it will keep waking to charge the 12v more often.
I am willing to bet the car is just waking to charge it more often (especially in colder climate) than it did in the past. Its unfortunate we don’t have any way to monitor the health of our 12v regularly.
car is less than 2 months old.....all started since I upgraded to 2020.12
gonna go look at all setting in wife’s car.....there has to be something I am missing there

Thanks, this makes the most sense to me.

Turn off smart summon standby.

I'll have to check that one. I'm a bit surprised that "energy savings" doesn't cover all the bases. It would be nice to have one button that turned off everything that wasn't necessary to keep the car alive.
Assuming I had everything tuned off that wasn't necessary and a new fully charged external 12V battery (or some power source), how could I use this to minimize range loss for extended parked periods ?