Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of Map on 17" screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often lose entire map when driving into a new area. Only thing on the screen is the red triangle location. In a couple minutes, the map slowly returns in large squares. Once it returns it is good for 30 minutes to an hour. It seems like it has to download slowly maps for new places I haven't been before.

Is this normal? What causes this? Is there a fix for this so when I am traveling I don't lose my GPS map in a critical area like in a city.

Mcu1? If so, normal. This is why everyone wants MCU2.

You've gone beyond the cached tiles in the map and it has to fetch and render the new map tiles. I'm my experience, very lengthy map operation is a symptom of failing emmc of the mcu1.

Mcu1? If so, normal. This is why everyone wants MCU2.

I don't think any 2020 MS LR+ comes with an MCU1.

Anyway did some further research on this and the detailed explanation is- If the locator triangle gets stuck it is due to a bad signal from the satellite or it is switching to a new satellite in the system. This is not my problem.

When the maps go to gray screen and come back one square of image at a time slowly, it is caused by poor or no cellular in that area. I do recall my LTE was very weak where I was when the LTE got stronger and steady the maps came back.