Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of Range thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, TeslaFi.com doesn't show any charge data for less than 50%. :-( Here is the screenshot where I stopped the charging at which I hope helped kickstart this thing... Take a look at the red box. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to charge to 50% to see it reflect on this chart, but I really want this state to sit for a while so it can be recorded in the car.

upload_2019-11-27_16-11-6.png

Here is the dilemma I have.. I can't see anything under 50% because TeslaFi (or the car, or someone) doesn't log data for charges under 50%. I've done what I think I needed to do and the max range is now 296 in Stats. I guess I should just let it sit there overnight and then charge it to 50% in the morning, and if that didn't "take", start the process over from 50% when I can see things. The rounding errors are much smaller at >50% SOC, but I can still move it up a few miles each try. I guess when I get up in the morning, I'll start it charging and see what happens.

Right now it's sitting at 23%, 68 rated miles left, and an estimated 296 miles at 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT_EE
Letting it sit overnight didn't seem to have any benefit. Starting to think that the rounding error is all in display which is why I can't stack on top of each rounding error.

Some people in another thread say they've fixed theirs but I didn't think about the software version they were on. The fact that this rounding error is there, it really hides any possible way for us to see if we made a positive change or not in anything we do. It's impossible because we don't have a way to actually see all the data, or at least SOC to the 10ths like Scan My Tesla has.

Is there another app for iOS that would show this or do you need the OBDII adapter to see any of it?

Reactions: gcmak
Interesting hypothesis,

Just to put this out there though, I noticed two days ago that my rated range was down to 472kms (293 miles). My car has just 8600kms (5300) miles. Interestingly our rated numbers are identical but yet I would have charged less than twice as many times as you would have, this makes me think it is not a rounding error on individual cars rather something Tesla is doing to manipulate the range.

Keep us posted on your results.

Ok, looking at the data more, trying to take a different direction from the data I have available to me... It looks like I have had much better luck charging over the long run charging to 85 and 86% than I have had charging to 90. Interesting that over many completed charges that 90% has done double the number of instances where the range was reduced after charging to that level. Looks like 85% is going to be my "go to" charging level. In the past when I wasn't watching close, the estimated range at 100% got up to 300 miles with it set like this. It started taking a dive after I started screwing with it.

85% and 100% seem to be good. Interesting that 5 out of 5 runs to 100% resulted in a positive change.

From the limited charging data I have, charging at 85% has had a 44% spread between a negative and positive result. At 86%, that spread is only 23.8%.

85 and 100% are what I'm going to do going forward.

upload_2019-11-28_11-13-13.png

Last edited:
If anyone else uses TeslaFi.com, I'd be happy to take all your charge data and do the same thing to see if we can see any patterns that work out best. Just copy/paste the data into a spreadsheet or something and attach it to a post.

Just make sure the TeslaFi.com settings for your battery report are set as follows:
upload_2019-11-28_11-31-35.png

My SR+ has been showing ~226 miles on at 100% for months. Reading the CAN bus, my car thinks the pack has a 50.1 kWh capacity. Dividing that by 209 Wh/mi (the discharge constant for the SR+) and I get 239.7 miles, right at the rated range. Right now the car is charged to 90% and the CAN bus shows 45.1 kWh remaining. 45100 / 209 = 215.8. But the touchscreen shows 205 miles.

There's also an entry called Energy Buffer that is 2.3 kWh. If I subtract that buffer from the 45.1 kWh remaining (42.8) and then divide by 209 Wh/mi I get... 205 miles!

I really think all this loss of rated range is a change in how the software displays the remaining range. It seems to be subtracting the energy buffer before calculating the distance.

I don't know what condition in the software makes the car do this as it seems not everyone has a car that displays range like this. But the math matches in my car over every situation I've looked at.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
If anyone else uses TeslaFi.com, I'd be happy to take all your charge data and do the same thing to see if we can see any patterns that work out best. Just copy/paste the data into a spreadsheet or something and attach it to a post.

Just make sure the TeslaFi.com settings for your battery report are set as follows: View attachment 482501
Here’s a recent one for me. Thanks very much for this

Attachments

• 59C1AD39-8169-4031-BE6C-5C3D4DF549E1.png
    59C1AD39-8169-4031-BE6C-5C3D4DF549E1.png
    581.6 KB · Views: 37
My range always goes up after the car actively heats the battery for supercharging. I believe Tesla’s algorithm is accounting for small voltage drops due to ambient temperatures in the pack. I’ll try and get my Teslafi data compiled and post it.

Excel sheet was not allowed. Here’s .pdf copy of my data for your use.

The PDF doesn't work well either. Do you have a Gmail account? If so, just copy/paste the data below the chart into a Google Sheet and make the sheet viewable by anyone with the link. Paste the link here. Then I can grab the data real quick and you can take it down.

When you paste it into a Google Sheet, it should paste in just like this with the formatting and everything...

upload_2019-11-29_7-30-23.png

The PDF doesn't work well either. Do you have a Gmail account? If so, just copy/paste the data below the chart into a Google Sheet and make the sheet viewable by anyone with the link. Paste the link here. Then I can grab the data real quick and you can take it down.

When you paste it into a Google Sheet, it should paste in just like this with the formatting and everything...

View attachment 482704
How did you post your data the other day, that I used to do the temperature correlation? That worked.