Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of regen when coming back from the mountains

JohnCE

Mar 3, 2021
Denver CO
I live in Denver and make frequent trips to Summit County. I’ve noticed that on our way back to Denver from the mountains-there is always a time where I loose a bit of regen along the way.

Just wondering what the loss of regen could be from?

We have a 3 and Y and happens in both cars.

Temperature and time of year doesn’t seem to matter as this can happen in winter or summer as well as Cold (40’ish) temps to warm (70’s) temps.

Think it’s the regen “overheating” as it typically occurs going downhill after a significant percentage in regen? Lack of use of the motor and it cooling down? Air temp getting cool and just cooling the motor enough to limit regen?

Just curious as to why this occurs and if it happens to anyone else.

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
IF the battery is "too full" to take any extra charge - you get less charge = less regen.

Those that live on hill tops should start day off with lower charge so they get regen on the way down the hill.

You should run your own experiments to better understand how it works on your routes.

Reactions: X Fan and gaswalla

JohnCE

Mar 3, 2021
Denver CO
IF the battery is "too full" to take any extra charge - you get less charge = less regen.

Those that live on hill tops should start day off with lower charge so they get regen on the way down the hill.

You should run your own experiments to better understand how it works on your routes.
State of charge doesn’t seem to be an issue as this happens no where close to 90%. I’d say I’ve seen happen lower than 50%. Pretty sure I was close to 30% once and saw it happen.

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Full regen is 85kW on my awd. If you look at typical charging curves, it gets lower than 85kW at around 60% SOC. At least because of that, I wouldn't expect the BMS to accept 85kW charging over 60% SOC for a long period. It does accept it at higher SOCs, which is good, but not for long periods. I've seen my max regen reduce while going down a big hill a few times, and it went back up once I accelerated a bit afterwards (using scanmytesla).
If you say it happened at 30% SOC, AND the battery wasn't cold (say under 30C/85F), then I don't know what causes that.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC