Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost 18 miles just sitting in Garage for 1 hour.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
2918 Model X with 53,000 miles or so. Pulled in the garage at 10 percent, 28 range miles. Left it set for about an hour before I plugged in. Read somewhere it was better for the battery to sit a spell prior to plugging in when you are at a low state of charge. Plugged in hour later, and screen said 10 miles! I'm like WHAT? So yes, TeslaFi shows my range when pulling in and when i started charging. How on earth do you lose 18 miles? is there any truth to be easier on the batteries waiting a bit before you plug in when at Low State of Charge? Glad to lose this when at home and not on the road. What ya think is going on?

Sounds like your car did not go to sleep. Was Sentry mode on or was the Key nearby or something?

That article talked about letting the car sleep for a bit which lets the battery equalize and would let the BMS gather data at that level as well as being less stress to charge after the equalization. It's an interesting train of thought. It's over in the M3 forum somewhere.

Sounds like your car did not go to sleep. Was Sentry mode on or was the Key nearby or something?
Sentry is excluded at home. My wife Karen thought maybe the fan was on cooling the battery and that made some sense but can't confirm. I was just supersized to see 10 miles on the main screen when I plugged in and it was in RED too. I think for me, the main take away is don't be messing with anything below 10 percent.

Reactions: Hebert
This happened to me before. I went to a restaurant with 16 miles left. Supercharger was 5 miles away. Hour and a half later I came out to a car with 6 miles left. I literally was the slowest car on the road while trying to conserve as much power as possible to make it to the SC.
Glad you made it. If I didn't have TeslaFi, I would have never figured it out. I was second guessing myself until I looked at the logs.

@Darmie, I’m going to vote that this was a part of the battery’s rebalancing or BMS calibration. I have not seen it on my X, but a I’ve also never just let it sit at a low state of charge. I have seen it on my model 3. Here is a screen shot from Teslafi one time this summer. Started at 14% ended at 8%, 17 miles “gone”.
DEE74D83-B1A4-48D1-9DD8-AF63A098DD17.jpeg

Range can change based on ambient temperature changes. Also any chance the AC was still on?
Hi, thanks. Not that I'm aware of. It is very possible that the fan may had been on to condition the battery but I don't recall hearing it run when I was in and out of the garage.
If you are using Teslafi or Teslascope or any of those 3d party apps that make use of your car's data, and you don't judiciously set the sleep modes within those apps, they will inadvertently drain your battery over a period of time.
Yes sir, I would agree. Been using TeslaFi for over 3 years, two on our Model X. This is the first time I've seen this type of range loss.
@Darmie, I’m going to vote that this was a part of the battery’s rebalancing or BMS calibration. I have not seen it on my X, but a I’ve also never just let it sit at a low state of charge. I have seen it on my model 3. Here is a screen shot from Teslafi one time this summer. Started at 14% ended at 8%, 17 miles “gone”.
View attachment 586698
Very well could be. I'm thinking that it was a good thing I lost this range while at home and not on the road attempting to cut it close. I'm not one of those that likes to cut it close anyway.

Thanks all for the info.

Left it set for about an hour before I plugged in. Read somewhere it was better for the battery to sit a spell prior to plugging in when you are at a low state of charge.
If there is actual data to support that assertion made “somewhere” I would like to see it.

When you arrive at a charging location with just 10% charge left, plug in immediately.

In my 6+ years of experience driving Teslas, when the charge level drops into that range the car displays a message alerting you and instructing you to find a charging location right away so you can charge.