Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost 40 miles sitting in the garage for 3 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here, got my M3 LR RWD last week. I had my car charged up to 80% 260 mi at a supercharging station on Sunday before going home. I turned on the Sentry mode, then turned on walk-away-lock. I also turned on wifi for update. The car sat in the garage for a few days and was not used while we were getting wall connector installed. Today, the odometer mileage remain the same (51 mile) , but charge mileage is now 208 mile from 250 mile. Did the sentry mode use up battery or did I forget to turn off something? Just want to see if I miss anything. On the positive note, I did get 2019.16 update today when I check in to the car.

I would only use Sentry Mode when parking in locations you are unfamiliar with or out and about, shoppping, eating, yadda, yadda. Enable the PIN Code security feature, if you're concerned about a break-in. I have grown accustomed to entering the PIN before every drive. It doesn't drain the battery and would foil a car thief.

Reactions: CaliM3
Yes, Sentry Mode is a big drain. It's meant for "high risk" street parking.
From what I could see, it uses about a mile of range per hour of use.
That’s what I typically see as well. I park my car at the airport every week and it’s between 1-2 miles per hour lost. This week was in the high side, short trip. Monday to Wednesday and I was closer to 2. But I also had 910 Sentry Events recorded and it filled my entire 256GB drive. I’ve had trips in the same spot at the airport where it recorded have that in almost three times as many days.

So, just depends on how much it’s going off.

Why do you turn on sentry when your at home or in the garage for?

In my case, I attempted to enable Sentry Mode in all locations other than WORK and HOME, but found that Sentry mode was enabling itself, even while at home. This is because the location I park, while at my address is far enough away that it does not match up perfectly. It would be nice to be able to select a region around the address to widen it a bit so that it is not considered a foreign address.

In my case, I attempted to enable Sentry Mode in all locations other than WORK and HOME, but found that Sentry mode was enabling itself, even while at home. This is because the location I park, while at my address is far enough away that it does not match up perfectly. It would be nice to be able to select a region around the address to widen it a bit so that it is not considered a foreign address.
In the Tesla Stats App (if you have an iPhone), you can set a Safe Location where Sentry is not activated. Maybe it would be more accurate then where Tesla is identifying your car. When you park the car, you set the location, so should be accurate.

In the Tesla Stats App (if you have an iPhone), you can set a Safe Location where Sentry is not activated. Maybe it would be more accurate then where Tesla is identifying your car. When you park the car, you set the location, so should be accurate.

My hope is that this will become a feature enhancement in a future release of Tesla software. I've avoided attaching too many apps to my vehicle. I'm already working with a developer on a new app, and have TeslaFi associated. I'm trying to avoid adding a third ;)

1 mile of range lost per hour on Sentry is the rough average. If it's in your garage, it'll be less, since there's presumably little activity. Outside, it can be much higher if cars or people are walking past your cameras constantly.