Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost all saved settings when rebooted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi..yesterday I rebooted the MCU when my network connectivity was having issues.
I pressed and held both the wheels to do this.
After that..I lost all my settings. Including my homelink too.
Does this method result in factory reset? In the past I used to do this without losing the saved settings.

Thanks

I lost all settings during my M3 FSD upgrade. This was mobile service, tech says they couldn't remotely restore my settings, and told me to call tech support if I really want my settings back. I just end up reconfiguring everything. Have no do a reboot since, so not sure.

-ThinkMac-

I lost all settings during my M3 FSD upgrade. This was mobile service, tech says they couldn't remotely restore my settings, and told me to call tech support if I really want my settings back. I just end up reconfiguring everything. Have no do a reboot since, so not sure.

-ThinkMac-
Yes. During FSD upgrade settings are lost. That's ok.
But losing settings during the reboot is painful. One thing I don't understand is..during the SW update they always reboot the system.
I never lost my settings during those reboots. Not sure how to report this to Tesla.

I lost all my settings and lost connectivity when making a wheel selection on my model S. After it did the reset, everything was gone. Now waiting for my service appointment on Thursday to where they hopefully will get the connectivity back up and running again..

I think the full reset is different than a reboot or turning the car off and then on again. Probably should never do a complete reset unless you want the car back to factory settings, i.e., ready for a new owner. I do a reboot now and then to reload the software and my settings to fix something like lost sounds, or some other misbehavior. I am scared of a reset.

I am not sure what is full reset. I did basically Hold the scroll wheen down and the break pedal and let it restart.. Is that consider full reset ?

I spoke to Tesla support today and they said that should not have removed the profile So I am not sure if I have actually a hardware issue going on.

Hopefully this does not happen again. Why I Did the restart/reset to begin with meaning holding down the scroll button . Because my screen was not coming on at all. So I had to do it.

Hi @127.0.0.0,

I think what some members are calling a "Full Reset" might be a "Factory Reset"
and is a button on the Service Menu. This is the equivalent of return to factory settings.
This is rarely used and does DELETE ALL SETTINGS.

The normal reboot is accomplished by holding the scroll wheels...

Good luck,

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. Was having some issues with the music and it seemed like it needed a reboot - so I held down the scroll wheels as I was leaving my car (can't remember if I was holding down the brakes -- but that is possible) The next morning when I got back into my car -- all my settings were lost. I basically reset everything manually and I have not had any issues since. I'm going in for service today (my door hinge straps are making a lot of noise) and I'll ask about the reset....

Just happened to me today. My side cameras weren't loading so I did a soft reset (just held the scroll buttons). When the car came to, all my settings were gone. This is a 2021 Model 3 SR+

Seems like it's affecting more than a few people...

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I have had this happen twice now. Both times associated with a firmware update.

I've had the car for nearly 4 years and this has only happened in the past few months:
the 2020.48.30 (January 4 for me) and 2021.4.18 (May 17 for me) updates both did me in.

I had the FSD and MCU updates done last June which introduced some very annoying issues that Tesla finally resolved (many 12 volt batteries later...).
So I'm rather thinking that many of the issues I'm now seeing is due to having a "Frankencar" with a hodge-podge of different vintage parts in it.
After all, that was certainly the issue with my batteries since the new pieces did not respond to queries from the old pieces in an expected fashion and things just went downhill from there.

The first erasure was the most painful because it also took my Youtube login with it. I've been to the service center about this and am still in contact with them about the 2nd one but basically the answer is always "Maybe another firmware update will fix the issue".

In both cases it was the most innocuous of the reboots that did it (double scroll wheel). I usually reboot the car after a firmware update before driving it because I've seen many peculiar things happen when I don't (weird artifacts on the instrument cluster, whacky door behavior, you name it). So I try to sidestep this with a final reboot once the whole update thing is done.

And before anybody offers some of the usual YouTube suggestions, alas, it was the Plex trick that finally allowed me to get my beloved YouTube in the first place and everything from that through monkeying with disabling 2FA to offering sacrifices to Isis (Okay, maybe not that last one) has been a dead end. Tesla tells me to hope it gets fixed with a firmware update. They actually told me that it's not their awful browser but rather Google's demanding security requirements that are at fault and there is nothing they can do about it.

*sigh*

Marc

Just happened to me today. My side cameras weren't loading so I did a soft reset (just held the scroll buttons). When the car came to, all my settings were gone. This is a 2021 Model 3 SR+

Seems like it's affecting more than a few people...
Same thing happened to me today. June 2021 SR+. Was testing out the Sentry fix from 2021.4.18.10 and while it activated fine, when I went to view the Events, the Viewer was all messed up. Like half the screen of the viewer was missing. I could see text that said "..lease select a valid video". Or something like that, the "..." was part on the left that was cut off.

First I did a shut down (turn off), waited 10 minutes and it came right back. Too quick, like it never shut down. So I did the Break + steering wheel buttons thing. BOOM! No profiles (no wifi, no viewer icon..really strange). Car thought I was parked at Tesla in Fremont according to the map, had a warning about not having maps loaded and some strange old release notes were on the screen (something about Text messaging).

Started driving and it finally figured out I wasn't in Fremont. But rebuilding ALL your settings is quite up there as first world problems go.

As other accounts, I had a similar experience with my MX. Just driven @ 200 miles and when I got home I selected reverse to back into my drive at home. When I looked at the rear camera it updated every few seconds and the displays both locked up. Waited for something to happen and a pop-up appeared with a software update splash but I hadn't seen any updates or installed them. Did a reset but the displays came back and had lost all my data, profiles, radio favs, satnav etc and settings. Even the cars name had gone and it thought it was now a MS on of those neural nets loosing it's memory I suspect lol. The satnav was convinced my car was parked at Silicon Valley but was 4,500 miles away. The car would not let me engage drive and asked for the key fob to be pressed to unlock or use the app of which neither worked, in the end logged out of the app and back in and did another reset then the app unlocked the car with me still sitting in it.

The most (and frustrating) issue is that all this happened while I was reversing into my fairly narrow drive and have for years relied upon reversing sensors for the last 12", sadly without the camera and sensors working correctly the car hit the wall. Now got a nice scratch on the rear and one not very happy owner!

I'm a me too in the lost all setting club. dammit! rebooted today in my garage using the brake and two scroll wheels. NEVER had a problem doing this in the past, like every couple of months. Was having Sentry mode issues (no icon on the top right of screen, would not come back on after pulling USB drive and reinserting, etc.) just plain weird

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yes. During FSD upgrade settings are lost. That's ok.
But losing settings during the reboot is painful. One thing I don't understand is..during the SW update they always reboot the system.
I never lost my settings during those reboots. Not sure how to report this to Tesla.
Well, no, not exactly regarding FSD upgrade. If they do it properly, you should only lose bluetooth information and likely garage door setting.
You should not lose other settings. One of my Teslas is a 2017 MX and I also never lost any settings during reboots, so sounds a bit unusual to me.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom