Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost all User setting, including HomeLink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently installed 2021.4.15.7, all appeared OK. Charged at home the next evening, then entered to car, and it appeared that another s/w update occurred, since screen was showing “Release Notes”. Then many issues occurred….
The car was “auto locking” at “home”, which it shouldn’t have been doing, given the car settings. Went to navigation screen and it showed location at Tesla, Palo Alto, which was incorrect. Attempted to enter home address and routing, then received message that map couldn’t update due to wifi not available. Tried to reconnect to my wifi network, and couldn’t after several attempts.
Did a reboot (2 buttons simultaneously), then was able to connect to wifi, but all user and HomeLink parameters were missing. Location still showed Tesla, Palo Alto, but after a 1/4 mile test drive the nav was able to acquire proper location.
Things that are missing after this;
Neither my wife nor my smart phone was recognized
None of our setting for seat, mirror, or steering wheel positions or Easy Entry were available
All 3 HomeLink setting were missing, and 1 setting was performed with a borrowed remote, which may not be available, UGH!
Any thoughts on how this information can be restored?

As many have mentioned, getting in touch with Tesla Service for assistance with this type of problem is next to impossible.

Recently installed 2021.4.15.7, all appeared OK. Charged at home the next evening, then entered to car, and it appeared that another s/w update occurred, since screen was showing “Release Notes”. Then many issues occurred….
The car was “auto locking” at “home”, which it shouldn’t have been doing, given the car settings. Went to navigation screen and it showed location at Tesla, Palo Alto, which was incorrect. Attempted to enter home address and routing, then received message that map couldn’t update due to wifi not available. Tried to reconnect to my wifi network, and couldn’t after several attempts.
Did a reboot (2 buttons simultaneously), then was able to connect to wifi, but all user and HomeLink parameters were missing. Location still showed Tesla, Palo Alto, but after a 1/4 mile test drive the nav was able to acquire proper location.
None of our setting for seat, mirror, or steering wheel positions or Easy Entry were available
All 3 HomeLink setting were missing, and 1 setting was performed with a borrowed remote, which may not be available, UGH!

As many have mentioned, getting in touch with Tesla Service for assistance with this type of problem is next to impossible.

Pretty sure it cant be restored in the manner you are talking about. You can re program the settings, but I dont think you are getting them "restored" from anywhere, and you also would likely be wasting your time asking tesla about restoring data. You might want to submit a request talking about why your data was erased in the first place, but I dont think you are getting any of it back.

His signature lists 2 pretty much new cars so I assume this is about MCU2: 2019 Model 3, 2021 Model Y.

Sorry, missed the signature. You’re right, not an MCU1 issue. I have seen similar reports from others who have experienced unexpected resets in MCU2 cars, but nothing that explains them. It seems the cars are too new for 12V battery issues.

Sorry, missed the signature. You’re right, not an MCU1 issue. I have seen similar reports from others who have experienced unexpected resets in MCU2 cars, but nothing that explains them. It seems the cars are too new for 12V battery issues.

A lot of model 3 owners have had issues with the 12V right around the 2 year mark (while others, like myself, have not). Could be 12v, it wouldnt surprise me (on the model 3).

My 2012, 2017, 2018 all had dead 12V that required a tow but none of them lost any user-configurable settings until I switched MCU for the 2017 and HW3 for 2018. It's hardware-related for me and not 12V related for me.

Update,

I checked the 12v battery, and it is at or about 13.6V, so appears to be fine

Some other strange occurrences.
Somewhere during this period, all the trip odometer readings where reset.
Also, I went into the settings for the following;
  • Nav on AP was disabled
  • Speed offset was
  • All trip odometers were reset to 0, note; I was using Trip Odometer B to track wH/mile since inception.
  • All Autopilot settings were reset to what I think was “factory’ settings”, different that what I generally use, (+ 10 mph)
Tesla pushed out another s/w update to my M3 (2021.4.15.6). It installed without any issues, but no user settings were restored.

Tesla have requested that I visit their Service Center for further analysis, not sure that has much value.

Curious to what others think.

Your car may have undergone a factory reset. Not sure how that can happen, but if it has what is gone is gone. Have you tried to power off? It’s on one of the screens. Press it and exit the car for at least 3 minutes. Then get back in and press the brake as usual. This is a much deeper reset, and, if the link to the file containing what is missing, is corrupted, it may clear the problem. Only contact service through the app. They will get back to you quickly. They aren’t geared to answer calls.

The service center sent out a new S/W update, 2021.4.15.6. It appears to have installed properly, with no configuration files.
I reset configurations and they seem to work.
Using the Tesla App to request service or report problems is a pia, but the only thing to use for now.
With a bit of work I am close to what existed in the past.
Thanks to all for your advice.

Same thing happened to me today. Lost all settings after a reboot - including access via app, which I had to manually switch back on from homescreen. Roadside Assistance had no solutions; suggested I bring the car into a Service Center. The real pain in the ass is re-setting the Homelink, which is always a challenge.