Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Auto Pilot (Fixed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Took the model Y out tonight for a ride, noticed there were no grey steering wheel icon on the left side of the screen to activate auto pilot.

Pulled over and placed the car in park, rebooted twice, still no auto pilot steering wheel icon on the screen.

The windshield looked cleared with the exception of a slight haze due to the condensation from the warm cabin and the cooler outside temperature.

I pulled over again to clean the cameras as this time I got the blind right pillar camera was blocked message.

Turns out there was a film over the glass that wiped away into a shine. The front windshield camera also had this cloudy film. So I polished this spot to a shine and the Auto Pilot came right up.

Clean your camera (window & center pillars)
before driving off.

Fred

Well it’s not the windshield being dirty, because it did it again tonight.

Lost Auto Pilot these last few days, it’s intermittent like on the first leg of my trip it works but coming back it doesn’t work, placing the car in Park and rebooting it doesn’t help it. Hoping this update 2020.36.11 which I am downloading now will fix it.

Will take it back out on the road after the update to see if it finally works.

Fred

what is this? I have a baby seat in the rear of my car and routinely carry the little one and AP still works.
Mine is giving me a lot of trouble, now I’m thinking it’s not the seat sensors since this morning AP didn’t work at all, nothing on the back seats, AP has been getting worse, I did a reboot this morning and walked away, came back from my appointment and AP came on for only a minute. No gray wheel even on the highway. Will see what the Service Center says on or after the 8th. I’ve also submitted a few bug reports maybe the Virtual Tech can see it.

Fred

Just off the phone with the Virtual Tech, he thinks that the License Plate Wrap could be causing the radar to be blocked, been having issues with HomeLink also. Anyone with a License Plate wrap in California centered on the bumper on the Model Y only, please let me know.

2A21CC75-6F96-475B-9774-56383DC0897A.jpeg

Just off the phone with the Virtual Tech, he thinks that the License Plate Wrap could be causing the radar to be blocked, been having issues with HomeLink also. Anyone with a License Plate wrap in California centered on the bumper on the Model Y only, please let me know.

View attachment 594276

Yes I do. But mine is a 3. Position looks a little high and could be interfering. It’s supposed to be mounted exactly where the plate would be with the factory mount. There were quite a few 3 people that mounted it higher for appearance only to have problems only to be fixed when moved down. I don’t know anyone with the ca vinyl plates on a Y. Could be too high, could not work with Y, could be something else. Highly recommend the removable “paint film” between the car and the vinyl plate. Saves the paint, sticker, and makes for easier replacement.

Last edited:
I placed the wrap at virtually the same location as where the license plate frame would put it. No problems with the radar.

I tried it at slightly higher positions (using some paint tape) but not that high, and the car did not throw up any error messages. Decided it wasn't worth the risk so put it low.

I placed the wrap at virtually the same location as where the license plate frame would put it. No problems with the radar.

I tried it at slightly higher positions (using some paint tape) but not that high, and the car did not throw up any error messages. Decided it wasn't worth the risk so put it low.
Hey Frank, San Diego also, can you post a picture of your Model Y License wrap, you can cover the plate numbers, I will need to show Tesla your placement.

Thanks

Last edited:
Be careful the plate wrap is hard to get off without damage. If you get it off okay using some PPF film under the sticker. There’s a few places that offer pre cut pieces like they do for the HOV stickers. But you can get a whole roll off Amazon for the price of just one pre cut.

I have Xpel under it, came off easy with the heat gun but totally destroyed the license plate wrap, will email the company to see what a replacement cost, this time I will place it a lot lower like where Frank has his. Took the Model Y out for a spin, Homelink & Auto Pilot worked flawlessly.

Thanks Frank for posting your picture.

By the way, the Virtual Tech, first thing he asked me, Did I installed a vinyl plate on Sept. 23rd. Pretty amazing how they can look at the history records and see when the radar started to get blacked.

Fred

Reactions: frankvb and DennyL