Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Autopilot, Cruise Control, Visual of surrounding vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Took a road trip today. Haven't been out for any distance for awhile.
But today, put a little over 200 miles on.
Started out fine first few miles on the freeway started using Autopilot - worked fine - let it go, turning on and off for about 60 miles.

Then went thru mts - twisting, hazardous roads - so disabled Autopilot. But when I got back on a straight 4 lane road, in right lane of 4 lane divided hwy, I decided to pass a slower car and before merging over - I checked rear view, left view. and if I feel not completely confident I look at the display for surrounding vehicles. About to move over then something in my brain had me jump back. There were no indications of any surrounding vehicles - even the one in front of me - no lane markers. Just my car (which seemed a little bigger than normal)
As it happened there was a car to my left passing - no silhouette showing on the display.

When I got on the freeway - no speed limit signs, no cruise, and no autopilot.

At first chance did a hard reset - no help. Did it again - same.

Car was updated last night with 12.11.1 but worked fine this morning.

Unplug your sentry drive. Power down the car. Sit tight 5 minutes. Wake it up. Reboot it again. Plug in your sentry drive.

if that doesn’t fix it, open a service request?

Well, I appreciate that - it did fix. Immediately knew it had worked when the car symbol was back to normal size on the display. When I took it out to test - immediately when I put it in drive , the display car switched to rear view as opposed to overhead - speed limit was posted, and I was able to Autopilot in my neighborhood (which I never tried before).

So, again R-T-J, thank you.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
Well, I appreciate that - it did fix. Immediately knew it had worked when the car symbol was back to normal size on the display. When I took it out to test - immediately when I put it in drive , the display car switched to rear view as opposed to overhead - speed limit was posted, and I was able to Autopilot in my neighborhood (which I never tried before).

No worries!

Try to turn off the autosteer and then turn back on(obviously when in Park). My car had the same problem twice(no visualization, no TAAC, headlight always on) and by doing this fixed the problem. It happened a while ago and then it happened again yesterday when I was driving after the latest update 2020.12.11.1.

Not sure a full power down was required to fix the problem, but next time you can try just resetting the computer by holding the two scroll wheels down for about 10-15 seconds. This will reboot the computer but still allows the car to drive normally. It takes about 2 minutes for the computer to reset and come back online. Of course, if this doesn't work, then you can always pull over and try the full power down. Just something to keep in mind if it ever happens again while driving.

Not sure a full power down was required to fix the problem, but next time you can try just resetting the computer by holding the two scroll wheels down for about 10-15 seconds. This will reboot the computer but still allows the car to drive normally. It takes about 2 minutes for the computer to reset and come back online. Of course, if this doesn't work, then you can always pull over and try the full power down. Just something to keep in mind if it ever happens again while driving.

Thanx - but as you see in my original note - I did the full reset (scroll wheels, brake, waiting). I would guess i have done the full reset about 100 times on the three Teslas that we have owned. But this time - didn't fix the problem. Power down didn't fix the problem. Sentry drive removal, power down, and at least 15 minute wait - power back up - then the reboot fixed it.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
In my case this issue happens every time I drive a specific avenue. I do not know why. Sentry drive removal, power down, waiting some minutes, reboot, an again reset does not fix it. Only if I let the car sleep several hours it fixes. Anyone knows if radio frequency inhibitors or some type of ultrasound can freeze these characteristics?

This doesn't reset the AP/FSD computer. Only letting the car sleep or powering it down from the menu resets that computer.