Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost bass speakers and rear channels I only get a cyclic thump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Driving home last night from the in-laws (had to drop off Lasagna) when I got a phone call. There wasn't anyone there, so I hung up and the music I was listening to came back, but very quiet. I had been luxuriating in the music on the drive so far. Now it sounded like I was listening to a walkie-talkie. The bass speakers, that usually rattle my calf as I drive, was out and a Thump <- Thump-> was coming alternately from the rear speakers.

OK. Time for a two thumb reset. Same. OK, I think I heard about a two thumb and brakes reset where I wait for the Tesla Logo to re-appear before releasing them. Nope, that's the same too.

Well, the new Berkeley Service Center is just up here on the right. I pulled in and they came to look. There wasn't any reset with the brake pedal that the manager knew about, but he checked my car's log and it showed nothing relevant. He suggested if it doesn't fix itself overnight to make an appointment online. I left the car charging overnight and this morning pulled it off and went for a drive and the issue remains. So I tried turning the car off and walking away to see if it would reset the radio. Came back after my appt. and the issue still remains.

I made sure it was both streaming internet radio and over the air radio that has the issue. I played with the equalizer and it didn't fix anything. I tried moving the balance around and discovered that the walkie-talkie sound is only coming from the front and if I move the balance to the back I just hear the alternating Thump Thumb from the back deck. Sadly I have a HUGE road trip Thursday, so I really have to get this fixed, but the earliest appointments at Tesla are after I return. Yick!

Any thoughts on what else I might do?

-Randy

Sounds like it could be an authentic hardware failure, or maybe a loose connection at the power amp.

Ideas:
Jiggle connections around power amp(s).
See if the service center will force a new software update (just in case it actually is software).

Since I had JUST been in for service the previous week the service center guy said I had the latest software he could get me so he didn't think that would help. And it happened at the phone call, perfect before I answered, complete and un-jiggly fail after I hung up. I have put 40 miles on since it happened and it ALWAYS sounds bad now, with the Thump Thump from the two speakers in the back if I have any sound going their way.

I just got off the phone with Tesla support and they saw that I had done the 2 thumb reset and suggested the power off, apparently, they cannot see that in a log as I had already done that twice. I asked if unhooking the 12V battery would reset this and the phone support guy said he didn't have any info about that and couldn't recommend it, but I have a pending trip, so I am ready for a few consequences.

I powered the car off in Settings, walked my phone inside so it wouldn't trigger it. Unhooked the 12V battery under the frunk and waited 5 minutes. But when everything powered back on it was still the same.

-Randy

Last edited:
Since I had JUST been in for service the previous week the service center guy said I had the latest software he could get me so he didn't think that would help. And it happened at the phone call, perfect before I answered, complete and un-jiggly fail after I hung up. I have put 40 miles on since it happened and it ALWAYS sounds bad now, with the Thump Thump from the two speakers in the back if I have any sound going their way.

I just got off the phone with Tesla support and they saw that I had done the 2 thumb reset and suggested the power off, apparently, they cannot see that in a log as I had already done that twice. I asked if unhooking the 12V battery would reset this and the phone support guy said he didn't have any info about that and couldn't recommend it, but I have a pending trip, so I am ready for a few consequences.

I powered the car off in Settings, walked my phone inside so it wouldn't trigger it. Unhooked the 12V battery under the frunk and waited 5 minutes. But when everything powered back on it was still the same.

-Randy
Maybe there's an old-school fuse someplace that protects the speakers from a power spike of some sort? (and for some reason the toggling from phone call back to music caused one of those spikes and therefore the speakers protected themselves via a physical fuse) Admittedly I'm reaching here, but pls do report back once resolved since this could happen to any of us obviously. And w/r/t the Calf Bass, I am truly sorry for your loss...it is one of my favorite 'features.'

OK, I got a text from Tesla to start setting up the repair appointment, so I went out to the car after being untouched for 24 hours. Surprisingly the car finally had a working stereo. Just in time for my trip.

Seems crazy to me that the car can go so far to sleep that the charger and the stereo can reset, but you cannot otherwise get it to reset. No two thumb reset, no power off the car and walk away reset. Not even unhooking the 12V power will do the same reset as letting the car go into deep sleep.

Needless to say, I canceled the service appointment.

-Randy

OK, I got a text from Tesla to start setting up the repair appointment, so I went out to the car after being untouched for 24 hours. Surprisingly the car finally had a working stereo. Just in time for my trip.

Seems crazy to me that the car can go so far to sleep that the charger and the stereo can reset, but you cannot otherwise get it to reset. No two thumb reset, no power off the car and walk away reset. Not even unhooking the 12V power will do the same reset as letting the car go into deep sleep.

Needless to say, I canceled the service appointment.

-Randy
Crazy! But hey congrats on getting your tunes back for your road trip. That would have really really sucked. Good to know that some of the boogeymen can be exorcised with a 24hr rest for the car...bizarre.

Your troubleshooting was on point. As a last resort I might’ve disconnected my phone from car’s media player and tried connecting the M3 to my wife’s phone instead, to see if it corrected the sound.

The fact that this issue arose immediately after a phone call certainly suggests that the phone itself may have played a role somehow. Maybe worth restarting the phone too.

The Thump Thump coming from the rear speakers didn't seem like anything that could be caused by BlueTooth, and only the dash speakers working up front? Seemed more like an amplifier that needed to be power cycled to me. Otherwise, I would have looked into the phone.

-Randy

Crazy! But hey congrats on getting your tunes back for your road trip. That would have really really sucked. Good to know that some of the boogeymen can be exorcised with a 24hr rest for the car...bizarre.

When I first got my M3 last August, I had something similar happened. It was not the speaker but the A/C. The A/C stopped running. No Fan, No A/C, No Heat. I was on the phone with support and did every reset possible (2 button, 2 button with brake, power off-wait-power back up) and finally they scheduled an appointment. The next day, it was working again completely normal. It has been working ever since. It was really weird.

Same happened to me, I think the audio "crashed" or something glitched out when the navigation voice interrupted my music. It sounded like I blew out the subwoofer. There was no bass and all audio, including system sounds, was accompanied by a cycling clicking noise. It happened in the afternoon. I scheduled an appointment via the app. It was the same the next morning, but everything was fixed by my afternoon commute home. Cancelled said appointment.

Something reset but I do not know what or how. It's likely a software problem though. Out of fear, I turned off the nav voice. Just installed 2019.5.15 so will wonder if it will happen again.

I'm having the same problem now.

How can I force the car to sleep?
I had everything go haywire yesterday and the regional tech from Tesla was already working with me so I tracked my issues with him all day. At one point I had no AutoPilot & the car refused to Supercharge. He told me deep sleep might be the only fix. OK

First step: Settings->Safety and Security and uncheck Allow Mobile Access, you’ll need your Tesla password.
Second: Click the Power Off button above
Lastly: Get Out to quote the Terminator and close and lock the doors, may need to use the keycard for that

I might put your phone in airplane mode so you don’t wake the car but I didn’t do that, just set a timer for 20 minutes.

By the time I returned I had turned on airplane mode so I woke the car with the keycard. I was able to charge again w/o the “Vehicle needs Service” message though I had picked a different station to plug into. AutoPilot was waiting for me when I got back on the road, and (not related) I haven’t lost bass since I did this.

To be clear, the issue this thread is about was different than loosing bass, which I have been experiencing for over a week, and a software update. The original issue produced ZERO sound when the balance was shifted to the rear speakers. Just a rhythmic thumping unrelated to the music playing. I have been mistakenly referring to the the new No Bass issue as the original, with extensive experience yesterday I was able to isolate the issue not stopping any speakers from working, just no bass. Also a reset fixes the issue temporarily which was not true of the original issue at the top of this thread

-Randy

Three times in the last month, since I got the new software update, I've had all the rear speakers quit in the middle of a song. Reboot fixes it, so I'm pretty sure it's a software "feature".
I have had the same issues three times since the last update on Wednesday. Twice after a phone call, and once in the middle of a song. All base stopped. A two thumb salute fixed it each time.