Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if there are others running into a similar problem, and looking for suggestions. My 2016 Tesla MX 75 is losing nearly 40% of it's range. I was used to a 12-15% difference in battery miles vs the odometer for several years, but this is extraordinary and recent. I live in SoCal and drive only about 8,000 mi/yr, usually 40 % or so on the freeway at speeds up to 70. I charge, mostly at home, to 185 (trying to do a 30 - 80% SOC charging cycle). My ODO is at 41,000 mi. Here are my most recent charging cycle stats:

1629585791592.jpeg

I don't see much difference in the W/mi readings. I scheduled an appt using the app, but the mobile tech called and said he had reviewed my car data and did not see a problem. When I persisted that this was not normal, he referred my back to the San Diego Service Center. I am waiting to be contacted for an appt. I will attach the a most recent instrument cluster pic. Any ideas or suggestions?? -- jc

ODO pic.jpg

So much to say here.

Short answer, looks like increased vampire drain is the simplest explanation. Rule that out before assuming there has been some other mysterious change.

(NB vampire drain means energy not accounted for in the trip meter, particularly energy that the car uses while the car sits parked overnight. Teslas can lose some number of 'battery miles' a day even when not being driven at all.)

When a 2016 X 75D is in motion, the odo miles and battery miles will correlate perfectly (ie they will differ by 0% according to the calculation methodology in your spreadsheet) if the wh/mi number in the dashboard trip meter shows ~297. All the numbers in the photo you posted show more like 350. That would explain an 18% difference. But you're seeing 40%, so there's probably some additional usage *not* being captured in the "350".

The wh/mi numbers in the dashboard are generally quite consistent (I hesitate to say 'accurate', but least they are 'predictably inaccurate') with one caveat: the gear selector must be in 'Drive'.

At all other times the car will experience *some* amount of vampire drain that is not accounted for. Then the trip meter wh/mi numbers become increasingly irrelevant. That is probably what is happening with your numbers.

Are you driving less these days? ie are many days elapsing between the charging sessions shown in your spreadsheet?

With a 2016 car I'm assuming you dont have sentry mode. Did you start using any kind of app that constantly wakes up the car? Are you spending more time in the car while parked?

Others might have other ideas of what might cause unexpected energy usage.

I used to own a 2016 75D. I joined this forum just so I could talk about what is going on with the energy numbers reported in the dashboard. I love questions like this. But I'm not the final authority by any means. I hope others chime in with better insights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, those are some great ideas. I do have sentry mode, and it's on at nite at home, so I could turn it off to see. I have had it for a year or so. My driving habits have not changed much, but I am charging more nights, rather than less, due to this loss. I drive every day, but do not spend any time in the car other than driving. It is weird that the kw/mi are not tipping up more. I had thought at first that maybe increased rolling resistance might be a cause, but I think that's eliminated.

Oops, I do have sentry mode set for "off" at home. But, I could monitor that during the day - good idea. I will try to think of other sneaky scenarios :)

Upvote 0
HI all,

Throughout the first months I owned my 2018 Model X100D I lost range from 295 to 280sh. Noticed it coincidentally happen after one of those Tesla updates. That did not bother much back then. Then, now the its range has drastically dropped to 261 as max. This is so frustrating since, as you all know, when you travel and use superchargers, the charging speeds slows down drastically about 30 to 25 % its capacity... and that add too much time to get to260 ml range. This now has become a problem for traveling due to that "slow down" the close end of charging. (Per Tesla's recommended charging process).

Do you it is time to request a battery replacement?

Thank you

Upvote 0
No.

Longer answer: battery replacement is almost never a real solution to anything in tesla-land. If there's any chance Tesla is going to agree to replace your battery, they are probably already aware of a serious problem from the logs and *they* will contact *you*. If you are the only one who thinks there is a problem and *you* contact *tesla*, they will probably not agree to replacing your battery just because you're not happy with something.

Middle length answer: if you now have less than 70% of your original total capacity, that might get their attention . You're not there yet. And forget about charging rate - it's not mentioned in the warranty and matters not at all to them.

Upvote 0