Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost camera & autopilot functions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6F5CEF74-15C1-4AB1-8A09-AC1B21AA1AA0.jpeg
A76CCE03-96A9-496C-9635-71BCB40F862B.jpeg
Today morning I lost screen display. This seems to be happening every few days to me recently. Prior to this when I reboot screen ( pressing both scroll buttons on steering wheel) system will reset & all functionality will resume. Today even after restarting screen the
6F5CEF74-15C1-4AB1-8A09-AC1B21AA1AA0.jpeg
cameras didn’t came back and auto pilot and stopped working. I have scheduled service call harping to hear back soon. Wondering if something similar has happened to anyone

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
my only experienced with camera on auto pilot is my front fender left camera, sometimes it is warning that it is blocked or blinded. All I did was wiped out the camera or clean with a lens cleaner which cured the problem...otherwise all is well here. Good luck w your issue, for sure it will get fixed...

• Informative
One of my coworkers with a Model 3 has been having the same issue this past month. He has a service visit scheduled.

He says every morning his backup camera does not work and autopilot will not detect anything on his drive in... but when he gets in the car to go home every day everything seems to work.

Sometimes the press and hold brake plus the two wheel buttons work. Most times it does not.

Go into the Safety and Security Menu, Power down the car. Wait at least 2 minutes. Press brake to restart the car.The problem should be resolved.

One of my coworkers with a Model 3 has been having the same issue this past month. He has a service visit scheduled.

He says every morning his backup camera does not work and autopilot will not detect anything on his drive in... but when he gets in the car to go home every day everything seems to work.

That seems to be happening with me too.. everything worked fine on way back.

• Informative
I am having the same issue going on five days without a fix. Nav shows location where everything stopped working, and will not update. Rear camera showing only black when in reverse. Screen NOT changing from day to night automatically. Of course since Nav does not function, neither does Cruise, autopilot, or anything else associated. I tired rebooting hold the two steering wheel switches till the Tesla emblem appears, both with the brake depressed and without. I have done Power Off for as long as ten minutes, and again, no fix. Called Tesla Service and they had me repeat the same steps again. No fix. Advised that I would either have to wait for a map update to come out, or schedule a Service visit. I have the Service Visit scheduled for Feb.24th. FYI... vehicle had been working fine after last software update for more than a week or so.

Found more info on a Reddit site that advised to unplug thumb drive from USB and repeat the reboot steps. Still no fix.

Very aggravated.

Any other suggestions?

2020 Model 3 LR

corrupted USB stick. remove USB stick (and don't use it again), power down, re-start and it will be fixed.

had the same happen with my Model 3 and before doing that i had lost GPS (no position update), limited to no Autopilot function and no rearview camera....

Seeing this a lot more with the latest update too. cameras suddenly all go down while driving in auto pilot mode. Starting the car with all cameras down in the morning. Switch to reverse mode all camera goes black.... etc.

At least with my car it comes back after stopping the car and power down the car. But it is very dangerous when driving, the notice is very short. Hope they can fix this soon...

An update: After close to three weeks of driving the vehicle without many of the standard functions, my appointment at the SC was this past Monday. I arrived at 9:20 for a 9:30 appointment, and the technician was out front waiting on me. He drove the vehicle, I am sure tried many of the steps listed above, pulled into the shop, pulled up the history log, did what they called, "a 12 volt hard reset". Watching this is where they disconnect the 12 volt battery, lift the rear seat, and lift a HV connector, wait one minute, reconnect the HV, reconnect the 12 volt, reassemble the frunk, and drove the vehicle outside and around. He pulled back in, and everything was working as it should.

I found the instructions on how to perform the "12 volt hard reset" on a Reddit thread, but did not fill comfortable doing so. If this issue happens again, I am probably going to still visit the SC, simply to document the issue, and to address any issues that may need to be replaced under warranty. I just wish the SC appointments were not three weeks out.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic