Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Celluar Connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the second time now, I've completely lost cellular connection in my 2018 MS75D. The UI shows crossed out cellular strength bars. I've thumbwheel rebooted (both methods) multiple times as well as used the Power off function on the MCU screen. The first time LTE was lost, it recovered after a few days on its own, this time it has not. If the car is on and at home I have wifi, but once the car goes to sleep, it appears to disconnect from wifi and cannot be woken up via the app. I suppose in low power state, the car relies on cellular to wake up. I'm at FW 2019.28.2

Anyone else seeing a similar loss of cellular issue? Thanks!

Just had mobile service come out. The LTE modem is not initializing. His notes show that this is a known issue and that 2019.34 should address, but not available for my VIN yet. His advise was to make a SC appointment just in case 2019.34 doesn't fix the issue. Costa Mesa service center appointments are a month out, so I grabbed a slot in the event FW doesn't fix. With my car connected to WiFi he also could not make an SSH connection to the car so logs could not be pulled. Amazing that these issues are not caught in QA.

Here’s my version of the problem which I posted a few days ago:
I have to park underground in a Condo garage where there is no cellular or wi-fi coverage. For the past three years and two Model S cars I have had no problems. Whenever I drove out of the garage the Tesla reacquired internet through cellular automatically and fast. Two updates ago it appears that the Tesla engineers broke it. Now every time I leave the garage the car has no internet and stays that way until I park and turn off the car for an hour or so outside. Besides entertainment many other functions of the Tesla will not work without internet. I've tried every possible way of getting the car to search of cellular, but once off it now stays that way - apparently the Tesla software goes into a battery saver mode and never comes out to reconnect. My only recourse is to reboot the car. This works most of the time, not always. I end up having to do this every morning. I notified Tesla service and they told me it was a firmware problem that the Tesla would have to fix, but they were busy (putting useless games in the car I assume) so it would take time for an update to fix it. I'm a patient guy, but after several months of either having limited functionality or having to reboot the car, I'm finally at my wits end. Tesla doesn't seem to give a darn. Have others here encountered this problem or have a solution?

The mobile service tech that came to check it out saw that the LTE modem was not initializing. We rebooted, disconnected high voltage battery and 12V and did not recover. When it gets into this state, the modem auto reboots every hour. For me the car seems to randomly not connect to cellular and recovers sometimes the same day, others it can take several days to recover. Rebooting doesn’t seem to fix for me. He said this is a known bug in 2019.28 and is supposed to be fixed in .34 (I think that the version he said). I agree, all of the unnecessary BS games, fart mode etc are added and basic car functions are broken!

For the second time now, I've completely lost cellular connection in my 2018 MS75D. The UI shows crossed out cellular strength bars. I've thumbwheel rebooted (both methods) multiple times as well as used the Power off function on the MCU screen. The first time LTE was lost, it recovered after a few days on its own, this time it has not. If the car is on and at home I have wifi, but once the car goes to sleep, it appears to disconnect from wifi and cannot be woken up via the app. I suppose in low power state, the car relies on cellular to wake up. I'm at FW 2019.28.2

Anyone else seeing a similar loss of cellular issue? Thanks!
Here’s my version of the problem which I posted a few days ago:
I have to park underground in a Condo garage where there is no cellular or wi-fi coverage. For the past three years and two Model S cars I have had no problems. Whenever I drove out of the garage the Tesla reacquired internet through cellular automatically and fast. Two updates ago it appears that the Tesla engineers broke it. Now every time I leave the garage the car has no internet and stays that way until I park and turn off the car for an hour or so outside. Besides entertainment many other functions of the Tesla will not work without internet. I've tried every possible way of getting the car to search of cellular, but once off it now stays that way - apparently the Tesla software goes into a battery saver mode and never comes out to reconnect. My only recourse is to reboot the car. This works most of the time, not always. I end up having to do this every morning. I notified Tesla service and they told me it was a firmware problem that the Tesla would have to fix, but they were busy (putting useless games in the car I assume) so it would take time for an update to fix it. I'm a patient guy, but after several months of either having limited functionality or having to reboot the car, I'm finally at my wits end. Tesla doesn't seem to give a darn. Have others here encountered this problem or have a solution?
UPDATE:
I uploaded the latest update 2019.28.3.1 and it appears to include the fix for this problem. The cellular internet connectivity problem is gone.