Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Confidence in Tesla / Failure to start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again you show your typical pattern of attacking those critical of Tesla or Elon Musk. You really should stop blaming the victim. Your continued campaign to negatively reinforce every single critical posting is getting old and tiresome. Tesla has a lot of problems, especially with its software. The fact that something on the server side can cause spontaneous reboots in the fleet - which it did to my car as well that day - is a completely boneheaded disaster. It's already been documented why the cars were rebooting shortly after rolling out 8.0. That is not in question. Yet you continue to berate those who come here to express frustration with a vehicle that, on many levels, doesn't work as expected for its owners or frustrates them whenever software features are changed for no reason.

I think he was correcting the confusion around the server issue and the car function. No ones basic driving function was disabled because of a server issue. The center console crashed and rebooted because of a bad charger list that was pushed to the fleet. When a new list without corrupt data was pushed, it fixed the issue.

This did not disable driving function as it appears the OP claimed. There is no server issue that will disable driving function. Driving functions are separate from the 17inch screen (as evidenced by being able to reboot the console while driving without effecting driving). The car does not require an internet connection to function. There was obviously some miscommunication somewhere in the story of these events.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not exactly. Newer Model Ss and all Xs have an electric brake booster, yes.

The brakes are still a hydraulic dual master system like every other car, with force proportional to the force applied to the pedal and the ability to stop on two wheels after a brake line fails (you actually lose that whole circuit, you won't be stopping on three wheels as you apparently thought, but only threw two that are on the other circuit.)

The electric booster applies force directly to the brake pedal just like you do - in fact, under Autopilot I can feel the car pull the pedal down (and through the pedal to the master cylinder and hydraulic system like any other car.)

..thanks for that clarification, helped my understanding of the newer e-brakes! And I'm glad to hear it.

Absence of Internet connection has no bearing on the driveablily of your Tesla. All that will do is prevent you from surfing the internet and to listen streamed music. Thats about it. I have driven with no cell connection in my Tesla and even AP works perfectly even in those conditions.

Similarly an inoperable center console has little to no effect on the driving characteristics. There were a few times when the center console rebooted all by itself with no impact to my driving.

Lets give that theory a rest.

Listen, my original post was simply my emotional response and curiosity when I sat for approximately 4 minutes when my car failed to enable the drive function. I am sorry that this elicited a variety of responses that question my devotion and loyalty to Tesla, along with the veracity of what happened. This event could have been specific to my car, like others who have been frustrated by the door handles not opening, etc. As a busy business owner driving in the morass of traffic in Los Angeles, it was a wake up call to me that my car is not perfect and perhaps I should think more about how the Internet and is woven into the User Interface of the car functions. I feel the same way about my iPhone when new updates disturb functions that I have become comfortable with.

I am happy to have intelligent replies that clarify my lack of information about my car. It is comforting to know that the brakes may have primacy to the energizing circuits for the motors, and it would be good to hear that from factory experts along with other advanced user tips. Tesla freely admits that essentially we are Beta users and they are logging data from our cars to improve the brand. They also need to know what emotional responses we have to the bugs and issues that crop up as emotions are not sent via the data stream, but happen here on the user forums. My curiousity was stimulated about the Internet and the User Interface, for example, if Tesla can disable our cars during the Update process, could a malicious hacker do the same? I am not attacking Tesla, but trying to learn more about how issues with respect to autonomous cars with a data connection will address some of the evil lurking about.

Thanks again to the posters that provide reasoned responses to the less educated in the Tesla community and are willing to have intelligent discussions about a car that is at the forefront of the future. I am still happy to be a privileged early adopter.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Tesla freely admits we are beta users? You mean just for AP or for everything ?

Of course, in the strictest sense, "Beta tester" is about software and is a category restricted to a group given access in advance, so I suppose Tesla coined the term "Beta User" for the only AP, in my opinion, as way to reasonably protect reasonably protect itself from the liability of Autopilot that they know will be constantly evolving as we achieve the fully autonomous car. This is a huge subject that belongs in another thread, but my point was to acknowledge that they are gathering data from all of the cars through the Internet connection and I wondered what impact is has on the function of the car. At the risk of being labeled again, the fact is that in this sense, we are all "Beta Users" simply by driving, and the average Tesla driver has no idea what data they are collecting, what it is being used for or if there will be data that could be subpoenaed by the government. We also have no idea what is being streamed down either. I realize that if you choose to accept the benefits of this technology to update the car, then you are subject to the judgment of Tesla to use this information wisely, but it is this data connection that is prone to outage, disruption or hacking and we should be aware of what impact is has on the function of the vehicle. Again, I am happy to be an early adopter and take my chances with a terrific advanced vehicle, but it doesn't stop my curiosity.

Bonanza-
I share your concerns and frustrations with your scenario of not being able to start the car. With all the replies, conversation got a little off-topic.
This has happened twice to me in the past year, and I was also fuming when it happened first time around. But the immediate fix is simple and relatively quick if it occurs again (get into car and press brake but no response to put in drive mode)...

Go to Controls --> Ebrake & power off --> press "power off". Car immediately shuts down completely. Wait a couple of seconds, press on brake and car powers back up almost instantaneously. You should then be able to drive off...

I do not know the reason this occurs, it occurred once in v7 and once in v8. But also doubt the servers being down, phase of the moon and stars, etc., have anything to do with it.