Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost connectivity on wired ethernet to powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my two powerwalls replaced yesterday under warranty. I asked about that very issue (lack of UI connection) and the tech indicated he was seeing a new UI and showed me his screen. Of notable interest were buttons marked "Customer" and "Tesla Support" (I think, couldn't quite see it all). The ip address was https://198.162.1.91 which doesn't show up as a connected device on my router. Interesting. I was unable to connect using that ip address either. Since a "Customer" button was clearly shown perhaps it's a feature that will get turned on in the future. Surprise! Tesla moves in mysterious ways.

The new UI describing is what they changed in 1.20.0. The two options are "installer" and "customer":
upload_2018-7-20_13-57-17.png

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I was able to access the new UI via my wired ethernet for one day after my gateway's firmware was upgraded. Then it stopped working. So I tried the TEGxxx WiFi, but got the same result. The connection request to the gateway is accepted, but it doesn't respond to anything sent to it.

I'm currently working on taking Tesla in Australia to a consumer tribunal over this.

Reactions: NuShrike
Check out my post #6 in the Firmware 1.20.0 thread. Days after the update to 1-20.0 on July 2nd, Telsa shutoff the web server on my PW2. I cannot to connect to the local API or the Wizard via any method. My PW2 is on my network WiFi and communicating data to Tesla. It appears that they have done the same with many of you. Telsa confirmed on a support call that they remotely disabled the web server. I hope we can all band together and complain to Tesla and get them to change their approach.
Firmware 1.20.0

Telsa confirmed on a support call that they remotely disabled the web server.
Firmware 1.20.0

I can't find anywhere where Telsla say, or even imply, that they are permitted to control your system remotely. The terms of the warranty allow them to upgrade you system, but issuing a command that disables the web server is not upgrading.

I don't know about US law, but Australian law contains a provision relating to unauthorised modification of data or imparment of communication to or from a computer. What Tesla are doing seems to be skirting dangerously close to being an actual criminal offence in Australia.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I can't find anywhere where Telsla say, or even imply, that they are permitted to control your system remotely. The terms of the warranty allow them to upgrade you system, but issuing a command that disables the web server is not upgrading.

I don't know about US law, but Australian law contains a provision relating to unauthorised modification of data or imparment of communication to or from a computer. What Tesla are doing seems to be skirting dangerously close to being an actual criminal offence in Australia.

I have also notified Tesla that they I require them to restore the functionality that existed in the Powerwall when it was sold to me. I intend to take it up with Consumer Affairs this week. I've quoted the ACCC Consumer Guarantee that Products must:

- come with undisturbed possession, so no one has a right to take the goods away or prevent you from using them, and
- be fit for the purpose the business told you it would be fit for and for any purpose that you made known to the business before purchasing.

I had made it known to the reseller that I would be using the local interface to monitor it, which is why I insisted the installer connect it to my Wi-Fi instead of the cellular connection.

I wanted to check that Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd is the importer of the Powerwall, for the purpose of starting proceeedings, so I visited their office in St Leonards, NSW, today. I met the managing director, Mark Twidwell, who confirmed that they are indeed the importer. But he also invited me to discuss the issue I was having, and he brought one of his technical staff into the meeting.

They assured me that it was never Tesla's intent to prevent any owner from accessing the web server in the gateway, and the technical guy is going to be looking into why I cannot access it on my system.

They seemed surprised at the suggestion that Telsa would have been disabling it on specific systems. I commented that other owners had posted that they'd been told by support that it had been disabled.

This may be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, or what we're seeing may be a simple fault, despite what support have apparently being saying to some people.

At the moment, I'm hopeful that this will be resolved, at least in Australia, without the need for litigation. One message is clear, I think, which is that talking to support about this is a waste of time. Those not in Australia may want to consider writing directly to the registered office of the importer of their powerwalls. In the UK this information is available from the Companies House website. No doubt there are similar accessible registers in other jurisdictions.

My Powerwall has been updated to 1.20.0 since last Monday (7/16), and I still have access to the Web UI. I also have another PC polling REST API and upload the data to PVOutput.

On the other hand, I never login to the Wizard to make any changes. All the changes I made to my Powerwall were via the Tesla app.

I use ethernet to connect to my Powerwall Gateway.

I think I've had my 1.20.0 update a little longer than that and I do use the wizard to set my backup reserve occasionally. I also still have my Web UI.

I wouldn't put it past Powerwall support to cover up a bug by saying they did something on purpose (especially if it helped conclude the support call). When I ran into the TBC cost saving weekend/weekday bug they told me the following which were clearly not correct:
-The powerwall will only charge if there's a peak period later in the day to charge for. It is expected that it would not charge on weekends if there isn't a peak period.
-The erroneous charging on Friday/discharging on Saturday should be cleared up by running the script to purge bubbles from the cooling system as it was most likely caused by overheating.

It annoys me that they don't let you talk to somebody who is actually technically competent when you call in. The person I talked to clearly had misunderstood some explanation she was given about how the Powerwall is supposed to function. What was really frustrating is that she stuck to her interpretation even when she saw evidence to the contrary (i.e., my Powerwall chargin during off-peak on Saturday).

Tesla Australia have restored my access to the webserver by rebooting the gateway remotely. I confirmed with the tech guy that the gateway can also be rebooted by pressing the reset button, visible through the hole marked Reset on front panel, though it seems that not all gateways have that feature.

I had previously attempted to restart it by powering it down and up again, but I note that there are some LEDs visible through that hole, and they didn't go out. I may not have succeeded in powering it down. One may have to be sure to isolate not just the powerwall but also the solar panels, as well as turning the main power off, and then being patient.

Some logs have been retrieved from my system, so that Tesla can try to understand why the server access failed.

All indications remain that this is some kind of bug/fault, and not the result of a deliberate act by Tesla.

Tesla Australia have restored my access to the webserver by rebooting the gateway remotely. I confirmed with the tech guy that the gateway can also be rebooted by pressing the reset button, visible through the hole marked Reset on front panel, though it seems that not all gateways have that feature.

I had previously attempted to restart it by powering it down and up again, but I note that there are some LEDs visible through that hole, and they didn't go out. I may not have succeeded in powering it down. One may have to be sure to isolate not just the powerwall but also the solar panels, as well as turning the main power off, and then being patient.

Some logs have been retrieved from my system, so that Tesla can try to understand why the server access failed.

All indications remain that this is some kind of bug/fault, and not the result of a deliberate act by Tesla.

This is encouraging. Now off to find a reset button.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that on my gateway box, there's a clip on the bottom right corner. Pulling it outwards lets the front panel drop down a couple of centimetres, and then it opens like a door. There's nothing dangerous inside. That's were the hole marked Reset is to be found.

To fasten the door when it's closed, lift it up until the clip reengages.

Thanks for the update. I did a gateway reboot this evening, and got web and API access back as well. My gateway doesn't have the reset button, so completely powering it down was an interesting exercise.

My notebook and monitoring PC can now both connect, and I have data flowing back into my Home Assistant and emoncms servers. However, nothing else on my network can get web access nor ping the gateway, including access through the gateway AP, so it's still not fully working. This is similar to how it started to degrade soon after the 1.20 update, so we'll see how long it lasts this time. At least I know how to get it going again.

I performed a Gateway reset this morning. I have the same issue - no access to the web server or API.
Perhaps you were able to get Tesla Australia to do the right thing. I'd like to know if others in the US are able to get access through a Gateway reboot or not.

Thanks for the update. I did a gateway reboot this evening, and got web and API access back as well. My gateway doesn't have the reset button, so completely powering it down was an interesting exercise.

My notebook and monitoring PC can now both connect, and I have data flowing back into my Home Assistant and emoncms servers. However, nothing else on my network can get web access nor ping the gateway, including access through the gateway AP, so it's still not fully working. This is similar to how it started to degrade soon after the 1.20 update, so we'll see how long it lasts this time. At least I know how to get it going again.

Even when I had no access to the web server, I could still ping it. Indeed, examining network traffic showed that the gateway was responding to connection requests to both ports 80 and 443, was accepting them, and was acknowleging data sent to them - it just wasn't sending any response data.

Your inability to ping or connect from anywhere else in your network sounds more like a routing or firewalling issue than anything to do with the gateway itself. You might want to look at what your dhcp server is handing out in terms of default gateway and network mask.

Regarding the reset button, I took some pictures of my gateway. These are thumbnails.
gatewayOutside.jpggatewayNotOpen.jpggatewayOpening.jpggatewayOpen.jpg

It seems odd that there should be different variants, other than to allow for the lower voltage/higher current in the USA.

• Informative
Reactions: arnolddeleon