TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lost FOB (key) - Beware of New Tesla Silicone FOB Holder

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ArtInCT, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I was at an outdoor Marshall Tucker band concert last evening and somehow the new Tesla Silicone FOB holder ripped off of the black round ring that attached it to my key ring. We went there with another couple in their car so I was not aware of the loss until I got home.

If you have one of the new Tesla Silicone FOB holders, be aware that it appears to me that the silicon attachment to the black ring is perhaps suspect. I had only been using this new style holder for under 3 weeks. Now I have to go to my SC and order a new FOB key... Sigh...

BTW, I was taking my keys out of my pocket quite a few times to get access to my bottle opener... I bet that the silicone holder ripped off on one of those pocket removals... went back to the site of the concert this AM and looked all around on the ground to no avail....

I will be going back to the premium leather Abstract Ocean FOB holder for sure.

2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Great, wait until the media gets wind of this. Huge TSLA price drop? Perhaps calls for banning of car-shaped keyfobs?

• Funny x 3
  3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Buy a Tile and attach it to your Tesla key. You'll probably never lose your key again, especially at places where there's other Tiles to report its location!

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

No finger wagging...........but I leave the FOB deep in the console, in one of those cup holders with a metal tin of mints over it. (You'll know its hidden enough when the car signals no FOB/won't turn on when hitting the brake.) Then I use my phone app to lock/unlock the doors. So far, so good. :eek:

5. DJung

DJung Member

I had the same issue with the silicon part that attaches to my key ring. So I replaced it with the leather fob cover and it has definitely held up much better than the silicon.

The leather key fob has held up well for about a year now. The silicon cover lasted me about 6 months

6. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

That all sounds good until you happen to park your car in a cellular dead zone, or the server goes down. :eek:

• Like x 2
  7. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

No kidding....right! I've thought about that dreadful moment LOL and havent tried it anywhere sketchy yet.
    Can I have your number for when I mess up? You're only 5 hours away. :D

8. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Humm... I have parked in a cellular and WiFi dead zone... your phone app will be a disappointment. Be cautious, as you have been lucky so far.

9. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I know, I know, I'm asking for it but.........Can't You See? :p I just dependably lose my keys so with the Tesla I've welcomed the tech, until I'm hosed of course. Someday, I'm a goner no doubt about it.

I wonder if Tesla could enable a remote unlock like onstar?

10. Vip

Vip Member

11. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Just got the new Model S fob replaced. Essentially the service center needs your car AND the other fob and then the new fob as well. All three were needed. Once they got on it, the task was very quick. 15 minutes or less. The price of the new fob was not outrageous.

• Informative x 1
  12. Norfolk Enchants

You are obviously very much your typical responsible Tesla owner :)

Yeh, silicon key for holder sucks.