Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost FOB (key) - Beware of New Tesla Silicone FOB Holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at an outdoor Marshall Tucker band concert last evening and somehow the new Tesla Silicone FOB holder ripped off of the black round ring that attached it to my key ring. We went there with another couple in their car so I was not aware of the loss until I got home.

If you have one of the new Tesla Silicone FOB holders, be aware that it appears to me that the silicon attachment to the black ring is perhaps suspect. I had only been using this new style holder for under 3 weeks. Now I have to go to my SC and order a new FOB key... Sigh...

BTW, I was taking my keys out of my pocket quite a few times to get access to my bottle opener... I bet that the silicone holder ripped off on one of those pocket removals... went back to the site of the concert this AM and looked all around on the ground to no avail....

I will be going back to the premium leather Abstract Ocean FOB holder for sure.

No finger wagging...........but I leave the FOB deep in the console, in one of those cup holders with a metal tin of mints over it. (You'll know its hidden enough when the car signals no FOB/won't turn on when hitting the brake.) Then I use my phone app to lock/unlock the doors. So far, so good. :eek:

I had the same issue with the silicon part that attaches to my key ring. So I replaced it with the leather fob cover and it has definitely held up much better than the silicon.

The leather key fob has held up well for about a year now. The silicon cover lasted me about 6 months

No finger wagging...........but I leave the FOB deep in the console, in one of those cup holders with a metal tin of mints over it. (You'll know its hidden enough when the car signals no FOB/won't turn on when hitting the brake.) Then I use my phone app to lock/unlock the doors. So far, so good. :eek:
That all sounds good until you happen to park your car in a cellular dead zone, or the server goes down. :eek:

Humm... I have parked in a cellular and WiFi dead zone... your phone app will be a disappointment. Be cautious, as you have been lucky so far.

Humm... I have parked in a cellular and WiFi dead zone... your phone app will be a disappointment. Be cautious, as you have been lucky so far.

I know, I know, I'm asking for it but.........Can't You See? :p I just dependably lose my keys so with the Tesla I've welcomed the tech, until I'm hosed of course. Someday, I'm a goner no doubt about it.

I wonder if Tesla could enable a remote unlock like onstar?

I was at an outdoor Marshall Tucker band concert last evening and somehow the new Tesla Silicone FOB holder ripped off of the black round ring that attached it to my key ring...........I was taking my keys out of my pocket quite a few times to get access to my bottle opener... I bet that the silicone holder ripped off on one of those pocket removals.....

You are obviously very much your typical responsible Tesla owner :)

Yeh, silicon key for holder sucks.

Don't use loop on the silicon fob, they always break. Attach a fishing swivel directly to the Tesla fob and attach a keyring to that.
Yep, I had my old one rip because I attached it to the silicon cover. This time I just these nifty QD Loops on Amazon and attached them directly to the fob. So far it has been holding up real well, and its easy to detach to give to a valet or the service center without having to hand over all my keys or fiddling with a key ring.

Rotmr2p.jpg