Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost & found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine works as you described earlier. Dec 2013 build, but charge port was replaced late 2014 under warranty.

I was wondering if the newer cars with the auto-closing ports perhaps work differently. Mine is a March 2013 car but my port was also replaced under warranty in late 2013/early 2014 if memory serves.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought mine stayed locked too, I was wrong.

I also checked the document from MyTesla wrt public charging, and they show you to remove it. I believe mknox is correct..

...and you have one of the newer charge ports, correct?

No hope from chargepoint, very surprised they can't help. Here's the response I got just this morning which is really late in my opinion:

----

Dear Dennis,
Thank you for contacting ChargePoint support.

That could be nice, but unfortunately from here will be very difficult to find the adapter's owner.
I suggest you give the adapter to the garage, may be to the manager or to the one in charge and probably the driver will realize he/she forgot the adapter and hopefully is going to ask it there.

If you get news about it, just let me know and I’ll be happy to help. Have a great day.

---

Thing is the manager / operators as well as the owners (city) are a bunch of clowns. I wouldn't trust them to take out my garbage. I did ask them if anyone came in looking for a lost adapter, and they were puzzled. Not about the adapter but more of the question that someone lost something. Again, clowns.

I was wondering if the newer cars with the auto-closing ports perhaps work differently. Mine is a March 2013 car but my port was also replaced under warranty in late 2013/early 2014 if memory serves.
Could be. Mine definitely doesn't come out of the car if it's locked (11/2013 build). Unfortunately I know this because there's a lot of RF interference by my daily J1772 charger and my car sometimes doesn't unlock automatically when approached. I'll press the J1772 button, notice nothing happened to the charge port, realize the car didn't unlock again, fumble for the keys, manually unlock the car, and finally try the J1772 button again. Happens at least twice a week for two and a half years now. :frown:

Seems strange that the vehicle would allow the adapter to be removed while locked. That definitely seems broken to me. Someone could theoretically go around stealing adapters and stranding owners leaving them with no way to charge. I suspect you should contact your SC.

It's a swift motion, but yes, you can remove the adapter without the key.
I don't think that the document suggests that. The very first step is "Ensure that Model S is unlocked." The note merely indicates that you have to remove the adapter and the handle as one unit or Model S will immediately recapture and lock the adapter to the car, but you should only be able to get that far in the first place if the car is unlocked.

Could be. Mine definitely doesn't come out of the car if it's locked (11/2013 build). Unfortunately I know this because there's a lot of RF interference by my daily J1772 charger and my car sometimes doesn't unlock automatically when approached. I'll press the J1772 button, notice nothing happened to the charge port, realize the car didn't unlock again, fumble for the keys, manually unlock the car, and finally try the J1772 button again. Happens at least twice a week for two and a half years now. :frown:

Seems strange that the vehicle would allow the adapter to be removed while locked. That definitely seems broken to me. Someone could theoretically go around stealing adapters and stranding owners leaving them with no way to charge. I suspect you should contact your SC.

In my case, it will not let go of the J1772 is locked. When I first got the car, I kept the Chargepoint RFID in my wallet. I quickly learned at work that I would swipe my card at the Chargepoint (so I wouldn't get texted that my car has been disconnected), but then couldn't get the adapter off my car (I could get the charger off the adapter though). I just put the RFID tag inside a spare slim wallet in the kangaroo pocket. So now I have to open the driver door (thereby unlocking the car) in order to get the tag and then I can proceed to disconnecting everything.

I don't think that the document suggests that. The very first step is "Ensure that Model S is unlocked." The note merely indicates that you have to remove the adapter and the handle as one unit or Model S will immediately recapture and lock the adapter to the car, but you should only be able to get that far in the first place if the car is unlocked.

This is my impression as well of the document.

Not a high priority, but I will inquire next time I'm in.

I tested mine again at work. I was going out to lunch with someone else and didn't have my keys with me. I pressed the J1772 handle, heard the click and when I pulled, the whole thing came out. A second or two later, the charge port re-locked and I couldn't put it back in! I had to go back to my office, get my keys, unlock the car and plug it back in while they waited for me!

EDIT: Just realized I had my cell phone with me and probably could have unlocked it via the app. Duh!

I posted instructions as to how to pull it out, because I wasn't aware that you COULD pull out the adapter (with/without key) without using the touchscreen until last week.

That being said, I am fairly certain I've tried this without key, and it does work. I can try it again next time I need a charge to verify (I have a charger at work, but I don't want to pay $1.50 to prove a point, lol).

I posted instructions as to how to pull it out, because I wasn't aware that you COULD pull out the adapter (with/without key) without using the touchscreen until last week.

I'll blow your mind, then. There's yet another mechanism to open the port without the touchscreen: you can hold down the trunk button on the key. :wink:

That's a relatively recent addition, though. Past 6 months or so.

I'll blow your mind, then. There's yet another mechanism to open the port without the touchscreen: you can hold down the trunk button on the key. :wink:

I knew about that one, lol, thanks.

I also know you could just touch the port, but ONLY if the car is unlocked.

I also found out (maybe from you?) that a UMC/HPWC/SpC will open an unlocked OR locked port.

And I'm pretty sure, that I can get the J1772 adapter out with a locked car, by using the Tesla method (even though it states that it needs to be unlocked). But I wont say with 100% certainty until I try it again.

Yeah, and handy as hell. I get so used to my HPWC and UMC button that I'm always forgetting about it at public stations. A long press of the trunk button was a nice addition.

I knew about that one, lol, thanks.
I also know you could just touch the port, but ONLY if the car is unlocked.
I also found out (maybe from you?) that a UMC/HPWC/SpC will open an unlocked OR locked port.
And I'm pretty sure, that I can get the J1772 adapter out with a locked car, by using the Tesla method (even though it states that it needs to be unlocked). But I wont say with 100% certainty until I try it again.
Hey, you're the one who said you just learned you could pull out the adapter without the touchscreen last week. :tongue: Might as well cover all the options!

Right. There are indeed a number of ways to open the port now. The J1772 button (if unlocked, supposedly, but some reports now to the contrary - maybe broken ports?). Touching the closed port opens and unlocks it on newer cars if the car is unlocked, but this doesn't work on "classics." Holding the trunk button on the keyfob. And using a UMC/HPWC/SpC button (or button emulator). That last one opens the port whether the car is locked or not, which we thought was a bug and was reported to Tesla years ago but still exists so maybe it's by design. I felt bad using Lolachampcar's button emulator fob, which resulted in every Tesla in my building popping it's port open. I had to walk around the garage closing them all. :biggrin:

Hey, you're the one who said you just learned you could pull out the adapter without the touchscreen last week. :tongue: Might as well cover all the options!

Right. There are indeed a number of ways to open the port now. The J1772 button (if unlocked, supposedly, but some reports now to the contrary - maybe broken ports?). Touching the closed port opens and unlocks it on newer cars if the car is unlocked, but this doesn't work on "classics." Holding the trunk button on the keyfob. And using a UMC/HPWC/SpC button (or button emulator). That last one opens the port whether the car is locked or not, which we thought was a bug and was reported to Tesla years ago but still exists so maybe it's by design. I felt bad using Lolachampcar's button emulator fob, which resulted in every Tesla in my building popping it's port open. I had to walk around the garage closing them all. :biggrin:

:bow: You are correct. I was grabbing lunch today, saw a J1772 station, decided to try it out. If the car is locked, the Tesla port will NOT release the adapter EVEN when you press the handle on the J1772. If the car is unlocked, I can obviously pull both out with one swift motion.

mknox - seems this might be a question for service for you.

Mine stays locked. I specifically tested it three months back when I got the car. I can test again next week, but I used both hands and couldn't remove the adapter from the charge port.
Will do. I am wondering if it is something specific to "older" cars. I heard from someone else who found his adapter up by the wipers with a note from someone saying it came out when he unplugged the guys car and he couldn't get it to go back in.

I just tested this. I left my key at my desk, walked out to my car, and using two hands, pulled both the J1772 and the adapter while pressing the release catch on my J1772. The adapter wouldn't budge. No white light (no light at all), no click, no indications at all from the car. The only thing that I got was a text message, app notification, and email from ChargePoint telling my that "ChargePoint Notification: Plugout Detected - Your vehicle has stopped charging at XYZ because the plug has been removed." My car is a 2013.