Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost free super charger miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine have come back, but no extension. I had a referral added from a car bought on the 3rd March. I thought that was supposed to extend the date of my remaining miles (were due to expire end of March) by 6 months ? They are now due to expire end May, no chance of using 1100 miles by then :(

Ours didn't disappear but we now have the useful expiry date showing in lootbox. Not that its a big deal at this point in time, but based upon my interpretation of the referral rules, either we have lost a referral but got a 3 month extension, or we got an extension and lost a few days - we have 2 referrals so should, by my understanding, have had an additional year added to our own 6 months from pickup (total 18 months). I'm not convinced that I will be out of this shitstorm by March next year to be able to benefit from them anyway.

Seems my lost miles have returned, but says they will run out on the 31/5 which we will be lucky to be out of lock down by then, so again they will disappear with out use as not exactly planning any long trips in the next months.

The only exception to the 'additional 6 month' per referral was that you had to still have unused miles available on your account, so if you used what you had in 3 months then got another referral your new referral would start the clock when it arrived, not from the end of the 6 months for the one you had used up.

Also, I can't actually find that 6 month extension rule on the website any more...

I used 200 out of 5000... Mostly for the hell of it.

Might rack up on a long trip I suppose.

If we do a bit of simple maths

SR+ rated range is about 230 miles in the summer (going to use that number as that is similar to the referral "miles" rather than real ones)

230/55KWh = ~4.2 miles per KWh rounded up

1KWh at a supercharger costs 25p

so to get 5000 you need to pay 5000/4.2*0.25 = £298 rounded up

A 1000 (rated) mile road-trip would cost you a staggering £60 with the supercharger network.

My old diesel used to cost me ~20p per mile. So 1000 miles would cost £200 for comparison (28MPG @ ~ 125p/ litre)

Since I only use superchargers for trips loner than 1.5 hours I probably would have never used those 5000 miles during the whole ownership of the car, but everyone is different.

Apologies if there's a more relevant/up-to-date thread but just wondered what stage others had reached in complaining about unexpected early expiry of free SuC miles?

Original order 1st May 2019 using referral code
Delivery Sept 2019
Two referrals made to friends - one took delivery in Aug, the other Oct
Therefore was expecting 5,000 miles for initial purchase and 2x 1,000 miles for referral
Was expecting 6 month expiry for first 5k miles, extended by 6 months per referral - so 18 months in total
Then 1 month COVID-19 extension added, so 19 miles

Instead I found my 5k miles were wiped when the loot box was changed in April to show expiry dates
Balanced dropped to 2k, then down to 1k, with expiry mid-July

Contact Tesla (escalated up to their UK customer service escalations team) and so far flat refusal - they say 'buyer' miles are different to 'referral' miles and each type only resets expiry for that type. Nothing at all mentioned about that in referral T&Cs previously that I could see and they've just said everyone else is wrong and that's how they've always considered them. They seem to concede they've mucked up expiry for the 2nd referral and may resolve that but no movement so far on the 5k (despite some other customers I know still having them showing for them!)

The slightly weird bit is (so far) my Tesla.com kWh remaining fits more with the original number, but Loot Box now down to 800-odd miles after a recent charge.

I think it’s correct that your 5K have gone.

The T’s & C’s say that your extension starts when the cars are delivered (which makes sense as you can cancel an order until the car is linked to your account).

So in your case:
1 x 5K granted until March 20
1 x 1K granted until Feb 21
1 x 1K granted until Apr 21
+ 6 month total extension for second referral
+ 1 month total extension for C-19
= 2K until Nov 21

I have almost exactly the same scenario. Ordered May 28th with referral last year and delivered September. Referred two friends who took delivery March and April this year.

All mikes were wiped earlier this year when my 5K expired but got restored to 2K miles expiring 1st Oct 21.

I would expect Tesla to top your account up to the 2K but no more.

Can someone fact check me?

The T’s & C’s say that your extension starts when the cars are delivered (which makes sense as you can cancel an order until the car is linked to your account).
That's not what they said back in May 2019 though - there was no mention of separation of buyer vs referrer SuC miles, therefore I was expecting the initial 5k to be extended by 12 months (to 18 months in total) when the referrals were processed. Of course the app never showed expiry dates before and still doesn't show differential expiry dates for referrer and buyer SuC miles!

So in your case:
1 x 5K granted until March 20
1 x 1K granted until Feb 21
1 x 1K granted until Apr 21
+ 6 month total extension for second referral
+ 1 month total extension for C-19
= 2K until Nov 21
I also don't follow 1K to Feb 21 and 1K to Apr 21 taking it to Nov 21? They were made in 2019 so how would they go through Nov 2021?

That's not what they said back in May 2019 though - there was no mention of separation of buyer vs referrer SuC miles

I hear you. I don’t think there is a separation between the two.

Also, the wording has changed now to remove any reference to extension -
if you’ve got free SuperCharger miles, they’re on account for 6 months from when they were added.

I also don't follow 1K to Feb 21 and 1K to Apr 21 taking it to Nov 21? They were made in 2019 so how would they go through Nov 2021?

Honestly, my brain must have been caffeine deprived and / or lockdown idled as I genuinely thought it was 2021 when I wrote that.

With that, I concur.

Your 5k should have been extended and added to when friend one got their car in August, and again when friend two got their car in September. So you should have the remainder of 7k miles lasting until your delivery date + 18 months (+ 1 month for CV-19, though I never got that).

I think.

I don’t think there is a separation between the two
Unfortunately not what Tesla have said to me in response to my complaint:
The referrer and buyer benefits for referrals are different and applied independently. The difference is that a referrer is providing a referral code to support a new vehicle purchase and a buyer referral is the utilisation of another owner’s referral code. Aligned with this, only equivalent referrals accrue to extend the expiration period. Since the same car cannot be purchased twice in one transaction, only the referrer benefits extend the expiration date of an equivalent reward when new referrals are made. The expiration of the received referral that you benefitted from, when you purchased your car through a referral link, cannot be extended and exists simultaneously with the credit for the first referral you made for a new Tesla owner to buy their car
With that, I concur.

Your 5k should have been extended and added to when friend one got their car in August, and again when friend two got their car in September. So you should have the remainder of 7k miles lasting until your delivery date + 18 months (+ 1 month for CV-19, though I never got that).

I think.
Haha thanks - sadly Tesla disagree and say the 5k disappeared in March 2020 (with no warning) and the 2k only runs until November (Oct + 1 month) - although of course currently have <900 showing July expiry so not even that bit is right...

This is still an issue, having been in lock down now for 3 months plus, and avoiding any driving which is deemed not needed by request of the government, I have only driven to a supermarket and back home for 3 months. my referral miles were extended for 3 months of lockdown at the end of march. and are due to be wiped out again at the end of june.

So basically the 3 month extension was useless to myself and i guess many others who have been observing the lock down rules. the whole idea for myself was to use the referral miles when needed on a trip, not to clog up super chargers just so i get my free miles in before they run out. which considering the que's at some before lockdown seemed to be a responsible thing to do as others who needed the superchargers could top up as needed if traveling distances daily, with out having to wait for superchargers used by people wanting to get there free miles before they lose them.

It would be nice if tesla could just let the miles run until they are used, this would stop the need to use as quick as possible thus creating busy superchargers. just seems common sense to me and makes the effort of referral and promoting the brand worth while.

Reactions: SK6 steve